"All" wood click pen #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from daledut

Status
Not open for further replies.

daledut

Here is the latest of my "all " wood pens.

I know I mentioned a tutorial on this one, but have to renig.

This one was yet another one that needed lots of custom working and re-working to get it right. I just can't boil it down to a tutorial until I can prdict my results.

As always, comments are welcome.

Image Insert:
20047251856_wood%20pen%202-1.jpg

11.3KB

Image Insert:
20047251919_wood%20pen%202-2.jpg

12.62KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike_l

I hope you can "predict your results" soon. I would love to see how you do this. Awesome pens!!

Mike L

melchioe

<sound of one jaw dropping> <pause> wow. That is one beutiful pen. My wife said "make me one". I too hope your results are "predictable" soon...

bjackman

Dale,
Your best all wood pen yet! It looks to me like you have gotten at least one more step closer to your stated goals with these pens!

Your clip is definately improving as it is evolving. This one seems to "flow" much better than the previous iterations.

If there is any critique I could give it would be with the tip area. To my eye it could use a little more taper, slimming (sp?) a little more towards the writing tip. I realize you have to balance shape vs strength dilema, so you may need the extra girth for strength.

The top end looks great. I like your click button and how it transitions into the clip. Is it just me or have you made the click button a smaller diameter than on your previous efforts.

Again, congratulations on what must be several steps toward your goals!!

tipusnr

These are some fantastic pens and a great direction that you're headed!! I await the next step in this evolution. Have you considered that you could probably develop a demo/lecture based on this for turning clubs and wood craft shops? This is one, I know, that I would love to see in person or have a "hands on" workshop in.

daledut

First let me thank everyone for their compliments. Then let me answer a few specifics. First Bill "Tip" let me pu it this way, I don't cuss, but if I did I would have run out of words for this one. I am no where near the stage of demoing this, unless someone had lots of time and wanted to see me make things up as I go along [:)]

Now Bill J. Would you believe that the tip used to taper to a narrower point before I broke it off and had to do some creative sanding. The click button is a little smaller as well as the whole upper end of the pen.

I had some problems that still have to be overcome to eliminate the excess hand work involved.

I had an issue with the brass insert breaking loose whiletrying to straighted the upper and lower half. When I added glue and pressed the insert back in, tip got crushed. That is why there are 2 fiber washers at the center, to make up the difference in length after rounding the tip.

I also failed in making the stepped hole inside the tip. There is a very tight tolerance. You have to have a hole that will let the lower end of the refill pass but with a shoulder that will catch the spring. Then a different size hole for the tip to come out through. I couldn't get it on this one with the lower barrel whole, so I cut the tip off and shaved down the plastic tube from the original pen (that has the stepped hole inside) and glued it inside the lower barrel. It worked but not exactly like I planned.

These things and the amount of hand working to get the clip to look and work right is the reason I gave up on the tutorial this time around.

I make no promises this time around, other than to promise I will continue the quest for a lower degree of difficulty on making a pen click pen with all external compontents of wood.

Hang in there with me. I personally love the unpredictability and re-thinking as I go. But I need repeatable results if this will ever be cost effective.

I will add some photos of how I did the clip when I get home.

Tom McMillan

Dale

I admire your persistence---this pen looks very nice---I'm sure most of us realize that the difficulties we incur, can move us forward to a better product. As I recall Thomas Edison had a number of setbacks that would have stopped many.

Your work is most admirable, and I know you'll get to where you want to be with the all-wood pen. I appreciate this effort and the nice job you did, and very much look forward to your future efforts!!!

Tom

daledut

Here is how I made the clip.

- Turned it on the lathe using a clip from a cigar pen to judge the profile.
- Drew the profile on the turned peice, again using the cigar clip for the profile.
- Cut it out on the scroll saw

The rest is sanding and eye-balling.

It is mounted on a tenon on the top of the pen. The side of the pen is sanded flat to give a gap. The one BIG difference in a wood clip as aposed to metal is that there is no flexability.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2004726134513_turned_clip.jpg
<br /> 27.49&nbsp;KB
2004726133911_Clip%20drawing.jpg
<br /> 73.46 KB

2004726133930_Clip%20after%20cut.jpg
<br /> 38.71 KB

2004726133949_Clip%20and%20body%20on%20lathe.jpg
<br /> 46.26 KB

Scott

Dale!

This is truly amazing stuff you're doing! Please, when you're ready to write a tutorial about this, consider doing it as an article for our site - Penturners.org!

Scott.

debturnswood

hi, not that i can compliment you any more than you have already recieved, but let me jsut add TRULY amazing work. A REAL work of art. thanks for sharing, and keep up the incredible work. really a master piece!

daledut

Scott,
That is my intention to do an article for this site. I hope it does not sound like I am hedging, but I can't do an article until I get it refined a bit more.

tipusnr

Dale,

I, for one, promise to quit bugging you about this. We know you freely share your knowledge. I guess we're just a bit envious and are overly eager to jump on the band wagon.

Keep up the fine, creative work!!

timdaleiden

Dale,

I love the refined version of the wood click pen. It seems more sleek than number 1. The only thing I missed from WCP V1 is the high contrast colors of the woods you chose.

I am praying you haven't come up with an equally impressive presentation device. [:D]

daledut

You just never can tell about that presentation thing.

BTW did you ever wonder how God decides when two people are praying for opposite things.... [:p]

Scott

Originally posted by daledut
<br />Scott,
That is my intention to do an article for this site. I hope it does not sound like I am hedging, but I can't do an article until I get it refined a bit more.

Hi Dale,

If I were impatient, I wouldn't be able to stand myself! [8D] We'll be ready when you are!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom