Sept. Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ltkrause

Cool! I hope it's a good chamber! The last one I made imploded and made a huge mess in my garage :). Guess I need thicker than 1/4 inch lexan for the lid lol.

keithlong

Yes we are, just have not nailed down the date or place yet. We would be glad for you bring your set up with you. I want to make a watch parts pen some day.

keithlong

Well september is just around the corner, and we need to nail down a date, time and place. The goal is to turn pens for our troops. We have been challenged to make troop pens by oct. 1. I will b making some contacts for kits and blanks. You just need to show up and turn. We will make time for demos also.

ltkrause

Sounds good. I can bring my lathe. How about the first Saturday in Sept, the 7th around 9? Unfortunately, I don't have the room to host so I can't suggest the place.

sseamen

I checked the calendar, that day is available right now. Now I gotta check the wife. :)

Put us down for tentative. It's been too long since we saw ya'll.

If we can come, we'll bring some food and a lathe.

ltkrause

If by "on the menu" means food, my vote is for BBQ and brunswick stew! I can bring a couple of pounds of pulled pork.

We do need to set up an agenda though. So far, we are having a demo by Antoine on vacuum stabilization and turning pens for troops. I have some slim-line kits I can provide, I think around 10. Anything else?

homemade

food

I have a pork shoulder waiting to be put in the smoker. I also can do okra and tomatoes, Cajun style.
A salad would be nice, if there are any takers.

Last edited:

homemade

Actually, it is a shoulder, but some unknown reason they call it a pork buttttt! and it's big. If there are any there that is Jewish let me know I do have chicken leg quarters.

sseamen

I guess, if Antoine is handling the meat, we can bring a salad or two.

I have an ancient recipe for Brunswick stew around here somewhere. Never made it but it sounds good. Unfortunately, the recipe calls for a huge cast iron kettle hung over a fire and then you put in something like '4 chickens, two hams, and....' I never had a kettle big enough to try it out. :)

homemade

a lot of nothing to say

I have the fire pit + the spit for hanging cast iron pots which I do have. we have cooked outside in our pit many times. When its cooler or cold that is the best time to sit around drink coffee, tea, or what ever and get mesmerized while starring at the flames and smelling the whatever is cooking.:):). today my 14yr old neighbor come by to learn how to turn a pen. I first had to instruct him on the basics of turning and before you know it we had finished him a pen made out of purpleheart. He is so proud of his new pen. I'm inviting him to our meeting. I turned my first piece at his age and I still have the goblet that I made and proudly showed it off to him.
I was cutting up okra and he told me that he didn't like okra. I asked him how was it served. He said his mom fries it up. I told him I was making okra and tomatoes and ask him to try it. He loves stewed okra and tomatoes. I told him not to tell his mom, she just might put saltpeter in his soft drink. So, I'm doing my stewed okra & tomatoes Cajun style for the meeting.

homemade

drawing

I thought about having a drawing for door prizes. If everybody would bring something useful for shop use or pen turning, we could have a drawing for door prizes. any ideas or thoughts on this?

DHill

pen 9 21

Guys
I plan to be there. Need address and time. I can bring 9 qt cast iron pot and tripod. I can also make a pineapple upside down cake cooked in a cast iron pot.
Will also bring my lathe and have some blanks with tubes installed ready to turn.
cell phone 256-651-0756. I will try to round up a few more guys.

sseamen

My wife and I, 2 more.

BTW, I know the start time is usually around 9:00 AM.

Also, Antoine may want to PM his address to those people who have responded with an interest in attending.

ltkrause

I'll be there and am trying to get my brother to come as well. Since we'll be having BBQ, I can bring the condiments (mayo, buns, pickles, slaw, anything else?). Anyone make a good vineger based sauce? :)

Want to do a PITH as well as the door prizes?

homemade

vinegar based sauce? I make one awesome vinaigrette, never tried it on pork, normally on salads. what is PITH? Is this a texting lingo thingy? I plan to make creole smothered okra and tomatoes.

ltkrause

PITH: Pen in the Hat - basically, everyone makes a pen of their choice before-hand, put it into a "hat" (box, bag, whatever) and everyone draws one at random to keep. I think it would be cool to own a pen that someone else from our group made!

homemade

With the event of 60% chance of rain that will effect the cooking and going from the shop to the house. I find that the conditions right now are not feasible for holding a meeting. Seems like a rain check to me. I still want to have one here, What about the first week of October 5?

homemade

December sounds good to me. It'll be cold enough to have a fire in the pit as well. I hope everyone gets the cancellation notice before Saturday. The increase of showers have increased to 70% or 60% depending which station you tune into. My wife burned a hole in one of our SS pots and wants a new set so now I have three pots to use for vacuum chambers. I contacted my BinL in Mobile and has the acrylic and polycarbonate that I need to make another lid that will work on all three pots. He's gonna have them cut for me and have one of his workers go through their waste wood for some exotic woods. I do remember him mentioning bloodwood, bubinga, padauk, and a few others. Can't wait to see what's in the box.

Last edited:

homemade

When I open that box, I thought it was Christmas time early. I had two sticks each taped up and labeled what they were. 3/4x3/4x16 pieces all laid out across the top of the box and under them were the acrylics. It looks like I will have to cut the handles off the SS pots for the tops to fit. I now have to get the air fittings and figure out how to seal the edge of each container. Any ideas?

Top Bottom