July Meeting!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sseamen

Great news! Boyce Allen, of the Redstone Arsenal Craft Shop, has agreed to host our July meeting at the Craft Shop. We're scheduled for Sunday, July 10, from 10:00 AM until you're tired of turning and (free) lunch will be served. This is a lage building with 7 or 8 lathes we can use, drill presses, band saws, etc. It also has AC!:biggrin:

There will be a supply of donated gunmetal Slimline kits plus a load of prepared blanks for turning out Freedom Pens. The craft shop also has standard lathe tools plus a supply of abrasives and Shelawax for finishing the pens. Anyone who wishes to bring personal lathe tools to use (or show off) is welcome to do so. Same thing with finishing materials. If anyone has some special blanks they want to use or trade, those are also encouraged, just like any other IAP meeting.

Boyce attended our last meeting (in April) and offered IAP members a chance to take pen kits home to turn, then return for the Freedom Pens. Redstone Craft Shop Woodchippers turn out around 200 Freedom Pens a month and Boyce is always looking for ways to increase the output if he can, so he may extend that offer again. Pens have been shipped to Iraq, Afghanistan, Ft Sam Houston, and Walter Reed Medical Center. Pens have been supplied to every thing from an 82nd Airborne battalion down to a small, out of the way, 20 man outpost. Pens have gone to Army, Marines, and :) even Air Force units. Pens have been given to WIAs at both Ft Sam and Walter Reed and to WWII Honor Flight honorees.

This is an excellent location for a mid-summer meeting, as well as an excuse to do a good turn (pun intended). Since the location is actually on the Arsenal, anyone without a military/government civilian ID card who plans to come will need to PM Gary (SGM Retired) or myself with some info by July 6. We will turn it in and get a special occasion admittance roster made up.

Anyone coming must give us their name and it has to match their drivers license or government issue ID, even if they are just a passenger in someone elses car.

Anyone driving a vhicle not registered on a military base needs to give us vehicle identification as well, to include make, year, and model of vehicle to be driven and car tag (license) number and state of issue.

Please make sure you bring your identification with you when you come, plus drivers will need proof of insurance and car registration. Make sure you leave guns, ammo, explosives, drugs, and any other contraband at home that day :laugh:

I would really like to see us have a good showing for this meeting. It will probably be our last chance to get together until the weather turns cooler and we can stand to have more than two people at a time in one of our non-AC shops, not to mention this is probably the most equipment we will be able to have in one place at one time .... unless, if, and until Boyce extends an invitation to us in the future.

Redstone Arsenal is accessible off of I565, exit 14. Anyone planning to come will get more explicit directions as necessary. Hope I get to see some of you that I haven't seen for a whiile and hope I get to meet some new faces. One thing I'll say about these meetings, I've always enjoyed them and always enjoyed the people I've met at them!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Acornelius

Great news. I was wondering when the next meeting would be scheduled. I have access to RSA. So, if anyone needs a ride they can tag along with me. Danny, my father-in-law, also has access.
Looking forward to seeing everyone then.

BamaYank

Can't make it!

Darn it! :( Won't be able to make this one Steve. I will be in Michigan for family reunion, would really like to come but I think the Wife would get her nickers in a knot!!! Hopefully next time.

GregHight

BTW, I was in northern Alabama recently working with the response to all those tornados. The amount of devestation was incredible! I think Hackelburg was the worst devistation I saw there. It was BAD!

WHSKYrvr1

Sorry, I won't be there. I will be out of town that day. I am really looking forward to making a meeting. Maybe next time

keithlong

I am planning on being there. I am issuing a challenge to all North Alabama, Tennessee chapter members to try and be there so we can do a great turnout for our service men and women.

Redstoneal

I can send you some RhinoPlastic blanks if you would like some for the turnathon.. Just PM me and let me know.

Greghight, thanks for the offer, I am sure SSeaman will coordinate, very impressive acrylics...But as a local, i wanted to thank you for coming with Tornado assistance. People are so used to "a" tornado, we thought it would be just another day, and 27 tornadoes later (they may have just added 4 more)..the massive damage was all over..so thanks for coming.

sseamen

I just wanted to bump this thread. I also wanted to remind y'all that Greg Hight is sending some RhinoPlastic blanks for this TAT/IAP meeting. Those of you who have not yet had a chance to work with Acrylics, c'mon down and we'll run thru it. I learn something at every IAP meeting I attend, here's your chance to pick up something new.

mick

I'm gonna try to be there just let me know who needs my Tag and ID info so I can get on the aresenal. It probably will be closer to 11 before I can get there.
Mike

Redstoneal

I just wanted to bump this thread. I also wanted to remind y'all that Greg Hight is sending some RhinoPlastic blanks for this TAT/IAP meeting. Those of you who have not yet had a chance to work with Acrylics, c'mon down and we'll run thru it. I learn something at every IAP meeting I attend, here's your chance to pick up something new.

Steve, you might have the Wood Chief send out to Post penturners as reminder for them to come on in, esp. with above acrylics being there. I will be in chicago..sorry..

louisbry

I plan on being there. I just need directions to the shop since I have a decal on my vehicle. If you need anything from me let me know.

Thanks,

Last edited:

sseamen

Louis,
Glad to hear you are coming, it's been a while. If you have any of that pretty spalted wood you'd like to bring that would be great. I believe Gary is PMing directions to those that need them. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Steve

Top Bottom