26 February 2011 Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SGM Retired

ALL fellow turners, our next meeting will be at my farm on 26 Feb at 0900 hours. I have posted my farm web site that includes directions and my phone number for your use to get here. Would like for each of you to reply back to either myself or Keith Long if you are going to attend so I can plan on refreshments and to plan lathe use/availablity. I'm sure I have the wood to cover down so if your in the area and would like to make some wood chips stop on by. If you are flying in from the north, fly into our local Huntsville Internation Airport and head north 15 miles. Have not set up any pens for troops yet so if you have any conections feel free to obtain pen sets and I will supply the wood. Look forward to see all that enjoy turning in general (Bowls, pens, stoppers, wood chips..etc). Bring your tricks of the trade to show off your stuff. Thanks.

Gary

http://www.gnberryfarm.com/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louisbry

Gary, I plan on being there. Have you set up any ground transportation for our northern visiters yet? Ha, ha.

Last edited:

Redstoneal

Gary I will schedule and look forward to being there....either Steve or I can almost always arrange for the soldier pen kits, actually the pen turning on post is the next day, sunday..so whatever gets made can be turned in the next day...

Redstoneal

Gary, i will bring my harbor freight lathe, some soldier pen kits. Just saw the directions, I was just up there Sunday....well a little more out in the boonies..:)

keithlong

Hey Ken,
I think we will have 4 lathes, however if you have a small one you can bring it, and if we need it, we can set it up also. I will leave the decision up to you.

Acornelius

I'll be there. Have a question. I have a piece of wood that I've finished that would look really nice with a chrome pen kit. The problem is I only have brass and gunmetal. Would anyone want to trade a chrome for brass or Gun metal, or I would buy it outright. Oh, it's a Slimline kit.

Thanks,

bitshird

I'll be there. Have a question. I have a piece of wood that I've finished that would look really nice with a chrome pen kit. The problem is I only have brass and gunmetal. Would anyone want to trade a chrome for brass or Gun metal, or I would buy it outright. Oh, it's a Slimline kit.

Thanks,

I'm bringing a couple chrome slimlines, we can trade!!

keithlong

Just wanted to say that the meeting was a blast. We had a total of 14 members there. We turned some pens for the troops and was blest to have Louis there to do a bowl demo. We shared tips and info with each other.

Look for the listing of for the next meeting. I will try to post some pics tomorrow. A big thanks to Gary for allowing us to meet in his shop. If anyone wants to host the next meeting, please let us know.

skeenum

I enjoyed the meeting very much. Gary, thanks for hosting, you have a great shop. Thanks also to Keith, others that helped set up the meeting.

I enjoyed meeting each of you and appreciated all the information that was freely shared. I also appreciate those that gave away blanks.

Louis, great job on the bowl demo.

Thanks again,
Stan

louisbry

Gary you have a very nice shop and you hosted an enjoyable and successful meeting.
It was a blast to see familar faces and to meet new turners. I think that we had such a great time that we did not turn many pens for the troops as we would have liked.

Redstoneal

Guys, we had a great time but to answer Louis, we combined what was turned Saturday with the pens turned Sunday at a pen turn a thon, and over 300 pens were made for the troops. This was absolutely awesome. And for those that didn't know I coordinated with the 20th Special Forces who are over in Afgan. Now to receive them. The 20th is Birmingham based. All should feel proud of our efforts..

Top Bottom