Sad Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SkookumPens

The pen turning and woodturning communities will miss a turner, mentor, and friend. I have been informed that Jim Cotter recently passed away. He is leaving a void that will be difficult to fill. Jim was always promoting wood turning. He was the person that scheduled visiting turners demonstrations for the South Puget Sound Woodturner's club for many years and because of that became friends to turners from all over the world. These turners would seek him out at AAW Symposiums and stop by to talked to him.
Jim was instrumental in organizing the turners for the "Pens for Troops" and "Pink Pens for Breast Cancer" at the Seattle Woodcraft. He helped many adults and children turn their first pen. Often, young turners would return every year requesting that Jim help them turn another pen. These activities will not be the same without him there.
Failing health required that Jim reduce his roll in these pen turning activities, but even when he was told that he should stay home and rest, Jim came in to assist with the Turning Pens for Troops last fall.
Jim was always willing to help anyone that wanted assistance in turning. He would frequently demonstrate at both the club meetings and at the Sawdust Sessions and encourage others to expand their turning skills.
The turning world is a better place because of Jim. His presence, help, and laughter will be missed. I will miss his cheerful, "Top of the Morning" every time he answered his phone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Rest in Peace Jim. People like that always are missed for so many reasons. Giving like that and helping touches many. Hopefully others will now step in and pick up the torch and carry on in the same fashion.

I think I might have met Jim this last fall at the Seattle Woodcraft when they were turning pens for breast cancer awareness. He was a very sweet man and very encouraging to all who took any interest in turning and would answer any question no matter how basic or "silly" the question would be.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks,

Chris Jacobsen
Instagram: Hiramwoodworking

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Condolences to you and Jim's family. I remember seeing him at Pink Pen for Breast Cancer. He was such a nice guy.

Top Bottom