Thanks Everyone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Just want to say thanks to everyone that came out today. Hope you picked something up that helps in your pen making. Also a big thanks to Gerry for being a great presenter. I've been working on what you showed us ever since I got home, and I'm having wonderful results with the finish and coloring. Guess I just needed a little guidance. Thanks again and see everyone at the next meeting.:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

Ernie,

Thanks for putting the gathering together and thanks to Tom for hosting and for lunch. We do these things to learn and get better. I learned a few things today and I think probably everyone else did. I also developed a growing case of lathe envy for Tom's Nova.

Gerry

Oldwagon

I had a great time.A big thanks to Gerry & Tom.Also Ernie did a great job getting things going.I have some maple to cut today.Still have to pick up some coloring.Have a great day.I have to get back outside.18 degrees this morning.I might have to put on a coat.Stay warm. Todd

Dan26

Thanks to all of you for a great time.

Ernie, I'm glad you started this Chapter. Thanks for all the work getting us together.

Gerry, I'm working on coloring and will keep practicing. My finish has improved a lot, though. Thanks.

Tom, thanks for hosting our get-together. The folks in Texas and Florida will someday realize that spaghetti belongs in chili.

See you all next time!

Dan

Dan26

I thought I'd share some photos of what I learned at our first meeting. I'm satisfied with the results but think I can improve.
First one I is sycamore dyed blue. It came out much darker than I wanted. The finish is pretty good but I'll work on that also.
The second one is cherry. I did this for my neighbor, since he gave me some leftovers from a remodel job. I didn't take it down far enough on the nib end of the blank so I'll probably take it apart and fix it.
The green one is also sycamore. I decided to dilute the dye 50/50. I like the color and the finish came out very good.
The red one is the one Tom gave me. It has the best finish and character.

The next ones I do I will dilute the dyes. I can always do darker. Somewhere I have some curly maple but couldn't find it so I went with sycamore. The grain is too small but it is still sort of interesting.

Comments/critiques welcome.

Attachments

• Sierra Foursome.jpg
    Sierra Foursome.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 177

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Looking good. I've been busy trying all this stuff as well. Hopefully get some pics up tommorrow. I didn't think about diluting, but will try it the next one I do. You're finish looks really good as well. Just goes to show you, no matter how much you read, just needed someone to show us the tricks.

Chasper

I thought I'd share some photos of what I learned at our first meeting. I'm satisfied with the results but think I can improve.
First one I is sycamore dyed blue. It came out much darker than I wanted. The finish is pretty good but I'll work on that also.
The second one is cherry. I did this for my neighbor, since he gave me some leftovers from a remodel job. I didn't take it down far enough on the nib end of the blank so I'll probably take it apart and fix it.
The green one is also sycamore. I decided to dilute the dye 50/50. I like the color and the finish came out very good.
The red one is the one Tom gave me. It has the best finish and character.

The next ones I do I will dilute the dyes. I can always do darker. Somewhere I have some curly maple but couldn't find it so I went with sycamore. The grain is too small but it is still sort of interesting.

Comments/critiques welcome.

Those are looking good, I haven't tried diluting the coloring either but sometimes I wipe it away quicker to leave the wood lighter, also you might want to try putting a sanding sealer on the wood before applying the coloring, that will prevent it from soaking in so much. Harder wood equals less absorption. Figured red oak works pretty good if you just want some tinting instead of a bright color.
Gerry

Dan26

I'd of never thought of sanding sealer. The sycamore is softer than most woods I have and I know it absorbs more. I'll have to try it tomorrow. I dyed an orange one yesterday that looks good but the finish is bumpy. More sanding and more CA.

Top Bottom