???? Next meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

traderdon55

Our next meeting date is still undecided. At our last meeting we discussed having it the 2nd week in November but that conflicts with Fallfest in Broken Bow which about half our members are going to. Right now we are debating between Oct. 31st or waiting until the first Saturday in December. If anyone has any preferences post here or e-mail me and we will go with the date that the majority prefers. Bill Bradford is hosting the next meeting at his house in Oklahoma and he said either date would work for him so let us know your preference.

Mac

My vote is first Saturday in Dec. (as I need to work Oct. 31) if I miss sales that day, I can't get them back. but I will try to make any date.

Rangertrek

Cant make it!

Due to the travel distance, I will not be able to make the meeting.
I hope everyone has a great time at the meeting. Hope I can make the next one if the location is a little closer for me.

ddowdy

October- Better Weather

Although I does not really matter at this time to me which date is best, October is likely to be better weather than December. My calendar does not fill up this far ahead.

sol92258

distance and timing are both issues for me, both of those weekends are filled up, I swear one of these meetings I'll be able to make :redface:

Mac

distance and timing are both issues for me, both of those weekends are filled up, I swear one of these meetings I'll be able to make :redface:

Hate to hear that you are going to miss your third meeting.
Some of us have discussed having a Sunday afternoon meeting, cause some of us have to work on Saturdays.( any thoughts on this)
As far as distance goes ,I went to the first Southwest Missouri meeting , long day!
and to 2 meetings in north Dallas. Meet a lot of nice people all 3 times and learned a lot as well.

When the date for this meeting gets set ,I think there will more than likely be a carpool to this next meeting.

traderdon55

Over the last couple of weeks I have talked to or recieved a e-mail from most of our members. It seems fall is a busy time for everyone which has made it hard to get a date everyone can agree on. I know for me personally I have something I am wanting to do every weekend from now till Christmas so I did not put in a vote. After adding up the responces that expressed a preference there were 2 more votes for December than there was for October. Since this was the way the votes came in our next meeting will be saturday December 5th at Bill Bradfords shop just outside of Idabel Oklahoma starting at 10:00 a.m. As in previous meetings we will have a pot luck lunch. Please post what you are bringing so that we don't have a lot of duplication. If you want to do a demo post that also,don't be shy. If anyone has any other ideas let them be known. We want this to be everyones club and would like to see everyone participate in the planning and demos so that we can all learn from each other. The week before the meeting I will send a reminder e-mail with directions to everyone I have an e-mail address for so if I don't have your e-mail address please send it to me. We are thinking of coming up with a meeting place to get together and carpool to make it easier on everyone rather than everybody driving on there own. If this idea appeals to you let me know. Hope everyone can make it. Donald Barfield

Last edited:

sol92258

Hate to hear that you are going to miss your third meeting.
Some of us have discussed having a Sunday afternoon meeting, cause some of us have to work on Saturdays.( any thoughts on this)
As far as distance goes ,I went to the first Southwest Missouri meeting , long day!
and to 2 meetings in north Dallas. Meet a lot of nice people all 3 times and learned a lot as well.

When the date for this meeting gets set ,I think there will more than likely be a carpool to this next meeting.
yeah, I'm really itching to make one, I've a lot to learn.
Sunday afternoons is typically family time, pretty much the only reliable time we can have together, the rest of the week is always hectic and variable.
Distance isn't that much a concern, but as already mentioned, this time of year has something going on nearly every weekend. 1st weekend of December is always family reunion time Natchitoches.

I promise to start making some of these! :biggrin:

traderdon55

Jim,hopefully one of these days you will be free to make one of the meetings. I know you have been interested right from the beginning but something has come up every time. If you are interested the local AAW chapter has a meeting the last monday night of every month and many of them are also in our IAP group. If you want more info send me a e-mail. Don

Mac

I am going to be there. If anybody would like to see a paticular demo, let me know ,as I don't know what people would like to see and would like your imput ,on the subject.

PS anybody that needs a ride just let me know.

traderdon55

Our next meeting is coming up saturday December 5th at Bill Bradfords house in Oklahoma at 10:a.m. As usual we will have a pot luck dinner. Please post what you are bringing so that we don't have a lot of duplication. I have sent directions to everyone I have a e-mail address for . If I missed any one or we have anyone that would like to visit just e-mail me and I will send you more info.

traderdon55

With the holiday everyone has been slow to respond. So far John has responded and said he is bringing chips and a vegetable & dip tray. To change the pace a little he is doing a demo making a bracelet helper out of bois d'arc wood. Mac is tossing around a couple of ideas for demos and is waiting to see what everyone else is bringing before he desides what to bring as am I. I have not heard from Billy yet but last time I talked to him he was planning to bring his wifes famous banana pudding again. I will post another update later this week.

Mac

Well , its Tuesday week of the meeting , and I have not gotten any response to my query on demo that someone would like for me to do ,so I am working on one ,if it works out I will do it. For food as Don said I am waiting to see what is needed,

PS. It is my sincere hope that the members of our local IAP club will start to particapate in this forum,(if not for this forum ,there would not be a local IAP club nor an IAP forum) instead of relying on Don or me to tell them whats going on at our wood club meetings or emailing them. I do know that some don't even have a computer and am not talking about them.

traderdon55

Two days till the meeting.Bill is going all out on food. his wife is making chili and cornbread,coconut custard pie,tea,coffee,apple cider and will have cokes & creme soda. John is bringing chips and a vegatable dip tray. Billy is bringing banana pudding. I am bringing diet drinks,cups, and door prizes.Several people have not decided what they are bringing yet. As far as demos John is doing a bracelet helper, I am doing a demo making a pen out of denim or a simular material, Mac has a new idea he is working on that he plans to demo, and Delbert told me last month he is doing a demo but he has not e-mailed me to tell me what it is yet. Still room for more demos if anyone would like to do one. I look forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

traderdon55

Latest update. Delbert is doing a demo on using antler for small projects. He is also bringing a lettuce salad with beans,olives,mushrooms,cheese,fritos and Catalina dressing. We have 11 people so far that have confirmed they are coming and we usually have several that come that never let us know they are coming so it looks like we will have a good crowd. I look foward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

traderdon55

We had a great meeting yesterday,lots of great food,fellowship,and demos. Delbert gave us a lot of great tips on making pens and other small items out of deer antler,Mac did a cigar pen and showed how he does his great finish,and John did a great demo on making bracelet helpers. Most of us had not considered bracelet helpers and now it looks like way may be doing a bulk order on them as everyone seemed to like them. No one went home empty handed as Ken Nelson of Kallenshaan Woods donated another batch his great laser cut blanks for door prizes. Also for door prizes John donated the braclet helper he made,Delbert donated a bullet and deer antler pen, and our host Bill donated a rack of deer antler. Those who were unable to make it missed a great time. Our last order of business was to discuss our next meeting which we have tenatively set for the 1st saturday in March. The next meeting will be at my shop in New Boston unless someone else wants to host it. Details will be posted in February.

sol92258

I am so itching to make one of these meetings.
I've got a friend thinking about joining, so there may be two of us trying to learn, ya'll may have your work cut out for you! :biggrin:

sol92258

Keep the first saturday in March open. Unless something changes that is when our next meeting will be held.
consider it marked; there is currently nothing planned that weekend, and I'm going to do my best to keep it that way.
I told Micah1_8, he's a new member here, he's going to try and make it as well.

Question: I'll probably put this in the main forums later, but - I'm looking to buy a lathe. Currently I borrow one from the high school I work at, but am about to a point where I can purchase one. Micah recently bought one at Harbor Freight, and has been pleased with it. I'm considering one of those, as well as looking at other options as well. The ones here at the high school are Jets, and I like them a lot, but for all I plan to do (currently :rolleyes:) - pens, brush handles, etc. - I'm looking at less expensive options.

Any suggestions?

Mac

consider it marked; there is currently nothing planned that weekend, and I'm going to do my best to keep it that way.
I told Micah1_8, he's a new member here, he's going to try and make it as well.

Question: I'll probably put this in the main forums later, but - I'm looking to buy a lathe. Currently I borrow one from the high school I work at, but am about to a point where I can purchase one. Micah recently bought one at Harbor Freight, and has been pleased with it. I'm considering one of those, as well as looking at other options as well. The ones here at the high school are Jets, and I like them a lot, but for all I plan to do (currently :rolleyes:) - pens, brush handles, etc. - I'm looking at less expensive options.

Any suggestions?

I have an extra lathe, if you are interested Harber Freight 8''X12'' vari. speed MT1 Item #95607-SVGA. I'll take $65 +$10 for pen mandrel so $75 total. I just haven't used it ,since I bought my Grizzly 12-20 ,it just sits there, collecting wood dust. I will throw in some goodies also.

sol92258

I have an extra lathe, if you are interested Harber Freight 8''X12'' vari. speed MT1 Item #95607-SVGA. I'll take $65 +$10 for pen mandrel so $75 total. I just haven't used it ,since I bought my Grizzly 12-20 ,it just sits there, collecting wood dust. I will throw in some goodies also.
ooh, sweet! count me in!

Top Bottom