Anybody in the Asheville, NC area?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

I'm moving later this year to Asheville and I'm curious if there are any other IAP members from that area. I've seen plenty of turned pens, seam rippers, bottle stoppers, styluses, etc in the shops while we were out there house hunting. So somebody out there is doing lots of pen making...wondering if any of them are also IAP members. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

I'm still in the process of packing everything up so it'll be a few weeks before I'm out there full time (plus more weeks as we try to unpack everything).

mfiantaca

Very close to Asheville

Yes, I am less than 20 minutes from downtown Asheville, and very active in the local woodturning scene. Would love to meet someday!

TimS124

I'm in the Charlotte area, but check out the world's largest AAW chapter - Carolina Mountain Woodturners - in Asheville.

Carolina Mountain Woodturners

Thanks...I signed up with them at the beginning of this year after catching Alan Carter's demonstration in late December. Annual dues are about $2/month...catching just a single good demonstration each year is well worth the cost (and every month I've made it to a meeting, it's been multiple good demonstrations).

There were over 50 members (myself included) at the AAW annual symposium in Atlanta earlier this month.

For anybody that's ever visiting the Asheville area, if you're in town when we have a meeting, come on by...they're open to the public! This month's speaker/demonstrator was David Ellsworth...just to give an example of a typical speaker's quality... :)

TimS124

Yes, I am less than 20 minutes from downtown Asheville, and very active in the local woodturning scene. Would love to meet someday!

This year has been a bit crazy for me...lots of family stuff going on...one just wrapped up this past weekend when my son got married! I'm hoping by Fall I'll have my shop at least semi-clean enough to not be completely embarrassed if somebody besides me sees it.

Or, I'll try to find you at the next Carolina Mountain Woodturners meeting if you're going...

I'm still trying to find good sources for material out here. I've been to Asheville Hardware and I know there are a couple other slab sellers locally, but not sure where they are...

Deputy

I'm in the Hickory area, a little east of Asheville but close enough to probably make a few visits!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

TimS124

I'm in the Hickory area, a little east of Asheville but close enough to probably make a few visits!

Looks to be about an hour's drive...not too bad! I have to wait until after the holidays though (family coming in for pretty much the rest of this year).

Do you ever make it over to the Carolina Mountain Woodturners' meetings?

Deputy

Looks to be about an hour's drive...not too bad! I have to wait until after the holidays though (family coming in for pretty much the rest of this year).

Do you ever make it over to the Carolina Mountain Woodturners' meetings?
Never been to any of the meetings or any shows, just started turning a few months ago and really just getting started.

Top Bottom