Trivia Contest Winners-Day 8

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Trivia Contest Winners
(Day 8)

Question:
If you were to run a Jet Mini non-VS lathe at its top speed for one hour per day for an entire non-leap year, how many revolutions would the spindle make? (Round off your answer to the closest million.)​

Answer:
87 million​

3975(per Jet manual) x 60min/hr x 365 days/yr = 87,052,500 revs

One of the reasons I asked this question is to get people thinking a little. There have been a number of posts recently by people who have had trouble with their bearings going bad. Most likely, these problems were due to defective bearings rather than just due to the bearings wearing out. But, this little calculation demonstrates that the bearings can accumulate a lot of wear in a relatively short period of time. Ball bearings are wonderful little devices and carry out their job admirably; but they do not have an unlimited life span. If folks who turn their work at top speed would just cut their turning speed in half, they would greatly reduce the wear and tear on their lathe bearings. Bearings are not particularly expensive and are reasonably easy to replace; but if you can extend the life of your tool by cutting back a little on the speed, why not. Not a terribly big deal; but it is something to think about that has probably escaped most folks.

The winners of the day 8 contest are:

pssherman and me2cyclops

The prizes are:

Package of antler and 3 gold Baron kits. Donated by dntrost (Dion)

and

Envelope of misc. blanks. Donated by Nolan.

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****
(Paul: I told you you needed to buy some lottery tickets!!)

Note: Both winners need to go to Ed & Dawn's profile page, select their IAP "contact info" and (EMAIL)them with:

1. Your screen name
2. Your real name & mailing address
3. Your phone number and
4. Your prize preference.
5. Please place the date and name of the contest you won in the subject line of your email.(Example: 8 Feb. Trivia Contest)

Please do "NOT" send your email to Ed's web site!!

First winner to respond each day will receive his/her choice of the two available
prizes!!

I would like to remind winners that the prize you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Congratulations Paul. Three times in eight days:question:

I am beginning to wonder if my emails are getting through. I have the same record I had last year.:frown:

Skye

Man, so much hatemail for me to email around... um... I mean....

Congrats guys! 3 more weeks to go, woooo!

GaryMadore

Dang, I gotta get some reading glasses, I know I read that question at least 3 times and missed the "one" hour per day.

No WAY! Me too!

And the really sucky part is that this is the question I sent a 10-page treatise in on. I broke down the revs by pretty much everything but nanoseconds and ended up with an answer over 1 billion.

I STILL swear that the question said "all day, every day..." Dang!

I am reminded of my long-gone school days and the oft provided advice to RTFQ!

:)

Cheers!

Gary

Last edited:

pssherman

Randy wrote (Paul: I told you you needed to buy some lottery tickets!!)

OK, OK. I am a little slow but I can take a hint. Well, at least sometimes.:rolleyes:

For those of you who haven't won yet, I'd like to give some hints.:wink::wink:
1. Make sure you include ALL iinformation requested to identify yourself.
2. Place the date and "trivia" in the subject line, like Randy told you to.
This one is the most important one of all.
3. Include the correct answer in the email.

Good luck to you all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom