Trivia Contest Winners-Day 5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Trivia Contest Winners
(Day 5)

Question:
Finishing pens can be a problem as the shop temperature falls. At what temperature will a Centigrade and a Fahrenheit thermometer read the same temp?​
(To the closest degree)

Answer:

Bet it is killing you to know why I included this language in the question? ? (To the closest degree)

Originally, the answer to this question was going to be -42° because the web site from which I got the idea said the answer was –41.8° which would round to -42°. At the last minute I decided to see how easy it would be to use the old formula…C=5/9(F-32)…and find out exactly what sort of an answer it generated. Well, imagine my surprise ad chagrin when I found out the correct answer was actually –40° and the information on the other web site was wrong!! Sure did dodge a bullet there! Can just imagine all of the abuse I would have taken for posting the other number.

And now a 2fer. Here is another piece of trivia that you get at no additional cost. If you would like to be able to display the degree symbol in your future posts, hold down the ALT key and type in 248 and then release the ALT key and you will get °. How about that!! :cool::cool:

The winners of the day 5 contest are:

davinci27 and hebertjo

The prizes are:

$25 gift certificate. Donated by Torne Lignum (Ruth Niles)

and:

Dozen pen blanks. Donated by spiritwoodturner (Dale).

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Ed & Dawn's profile page, select their IAP "contact info" and (EMAIL)them with:

1. Your screen name
2. Your real name & mailing address
3. Your phone number and
4. Your prize preference.
5. Please place the date and name of the contest you won in the subject line of your email.(Example: 5 Feb. Trivia Contest)

Do "NOT" send your email to Ed's web site!!

First winner to respond each day will receive his/her choice of the two available
prizes!!

I would like to remind winners that the prize you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
And now a 2fer. Here is another piece of trivia that you get at no additional cost. If you would like to be able to display the degree symbol in your future posts, hold down the ALT key and type in 248 and then release the ALT key and you will get °. How about that!! :cool:

How many other numbers you suppose he typed, before he found out this one worked???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, imagine my surprise ad chagrin when I found out the correct answer was actually –40°

Several of the "converter" sites all agreed on -40 ----- You coulda tried that!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF ANYONE LIVES NEXT DOOR TO

BANANAJEEP

bang on his door and tell him to send me an e-mail!!
He won yesterday - need his address!!!

Pen Maker

in your future posts, hold down the ALT key and type in 248 and then release the ALT key and you will get °. How about that!!

Oh Great! This will come in handy, should anyone be taking Forensics 303 in the future.

rej19

I don't know about anybody else but I have finishing problems well before it hits -40 degrees. Buy the way my keyboard must be broke because the alt 248 don't work for me.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Believe it or not, I actually live in a house that has no insulation - it was built in the 1890s, so all the insulation was sawdust, which has long since settled...

So inside can get REALLY cold some days. We've put a few space heaters in, and have a ton of blankets, but it doesn't really compensate for the lack of insulation and single pane windows...

Needless to say, when we get full-time jobs, we're getting a new home! :)

Pen Maker

Buy the way my keyboard must be broke because the alt 248 don't work for me.

It will if you USE the 10 Key number pad.... Not the top row numbers... °°°

It also will not work in a HTML dialog box... Use Note Pad, WordPad, Word, or WordPerfect

And you also have to have the Number Lock keyed ON.

☺ = Alt + 1
☻ = Alt + 2
Ω = Alt + 234
¢ = Alt + 155
™ = Alt + 0153
© = Alt + 0169
® = Alt + 0174
∞ = Alt + 236
Þ = Alt + 0222
♂ = Alt + 11
♀ = Alt + 12
♪ = Alt + 13
♫ = Alt + 14
☼ = Alt + 15

And Finally something you can really use....

¼ = Alt + 172
½ = Alt + 171
¾ = Alt + 0190

Last edited:

Pen Maker

For the Birthday Bash, I'll be doing Magic Tricks on the Lido Deck at 10:30 am. We also have one of them little bitty terrier dogs that can jump through the hoop. No really, he's pretty good!

Or....

You can go read up on the latest in the saga of Randy_ 's terlet.

Randy_

PM: Thanks, very helpful; but those symbols with the square don't work for me......unless you are giving us 7 different ways to get a little square ??

Good point about using the keypad!!

Here are two other codes that I find handy t have around"

± = Alt + 241
÷ = Alt + 246

Another thing to check. On my keyboard, one of the Alt keys does not work so I have to use the one on the right. Don't know whether the left hand one is broke or just has a different function but................

dntrost

OK just cause I am next Triviamiester doesn't mean I can't win! I am getting real tired of not winning! Kazakhstan gets -40 and below so I knew that one! I think this is rigged! I will make sure it stays that way when I am the BMOC.

Randy_

OK just cause I am next Triviamiester doesn't mean I can't win! I am getting real tired of not winning! Kazakhstan gets -40 and below so I knew that one! I think this is rigged! I will make sure it stays that way when I am the BMOC.

Hey rookie........try, at least, to learn how to spell your title before you take over the job!!

As Ed would say:

It's TriviaMeister!!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As opposed to:

Triviaschuler!!

(best to KNOW the answers!!)

What combination of keys will give me the umlaut over the u?​

dntrost

TRIVIAMEISTER Who the hell cares how you spell I just wanted to win! Now you have me upset! I will show you in a couple of days how to really rig this thing where I win every day! I hope no one will get upset but it seems like the current MEISTER has a few pals he is showing favorites to! :mad::rolleyes::eek::eek:

Pen Maker

Ed, I asked Gary about that NUTin

He sent back a Trivia Question of his own.

He said: What did Patton reply to the German Officers?
I said: Nuts!!!
He said: Wrong !!!

Could I get a little MEDIATION on this one ?

GaryMadore

Ed, I asked Gary about that NUTin

He sent back a Trivia Question of his own.

He said: What did Patton reply to the German Officers?
I said: Nuts!!!
He said: Wrong !!!

Could I get a little MEDIATION on this one ?

I am sorry, my brother in prize-bereftness, but it was not Patton who said that, but rather LGen Kinnard. He is said to have replied "Nuts!" to the German who demanded the Allies' surrunder during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944.

I would have supported you here, no matter how mistaken, but I is a soldjer and so cannot lie about military history :)

Cheers!

Gary

Patton, though, pissed in the Rhine - and so I did the same thing when I had the opportunity ;)

GaryMadore

So then what was it that Patton said to the German Officers? LOL

I don't know, my friend. Patton is famous for a speech he made to his own troops, but I am unaware of anything "famous" he said to a German officer (like the often misattributed quote "Nuts!")

A part of the speech of which I speak goes:

"We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun cocksuckers by the bushel-fucking-basket!"

Pretty colourful speech, huh? It's a shame that a General today would be IMMEDIATELY relieved of command for saying anything even close to that to inspire his/her troops....

Cheers!

Gary

Top Bottom