IAP 2009 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST- 1 - FEB QUESTION!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

Welcome
to the first day of this year's
IAP TRIVIA CONTEST !!!

We will aim to start each daily contest at 12 noon ET on a given day; but TriviaMeister schedules may necessitate earlier or later starting times. Regardless of the starting time, you will have until noon ET of the following day to email your answer for the contest question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All entries "postmarked" before noon ET of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat(electronic hat, actually) and two winners selected. Winners will be the first two entries selected at random that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question. The winners will be announced on contest closing day at 8 P.M. ET (or thereabouts as the TriviaMeister's schedule permits:wink:) and the decision of the TriviaMeister will be final.

The prizes you will be competing for today are:

1. Two carbon fiber blank sets for Jr. Gent. and two carbon fiber blanks for Sierra's and one set carbon fiber blanks for slimline. Donated by CaptG (Gary).

2. 28 oz. casting kit. Winner's choice of black, white, or clear. Donated by Alumilite Corporation.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

Question for day 1.....

There are a number of mini/midi lathes on the market that are advertised as being "continuously variable speed" machines. What they don't always say is that to achieve the full range of speeds, it may be necessary to move a belt on a stepped pulley just like the non-VS machines. Most old-timers are familiar with this "stretching" of the facts; but more than few new turners are disappointed to learn that the real world is not quite as the ad men portray it.

If you owned a JET Mini 1014 VS and wanted to be able to access all of the available speeds, what is the minimum number of times you would need to move the belt?

Email your answer to: CLOSED

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of your email entry i.e., 1 FEB Trivia Contest. You can copy/paste the preceding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

We are discussing the possibility of limiting the number of prizes an individual member can receive from the Trivia Contest. if it is determined that a limit will be set, it will be noted here.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Why would you change the speed???

Set it at FULL SPEED ahead and leave it there!!!

NO pulleys need to be adjusted, much less changed!

alphageek

Former Moderator
Why would you change the speed???
Set it at FULL SPEED ahead and leave it there!!!
NO pulleys need to be adjusted, much less changed!

Agreed!! The only time I adjust mine is for drilling or when I do something other than pens.

Ed
Kinda hard to put CA on at 3900

Actually, That completely depends on HOW you put it on. I do a BLO/CA method at 3900 for every wooden pen I make. (And the WI chapter saw a demo of it so I have proof!:biggrin:).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed
Kinda hard to put CA on at 3900

That's what I THOUGHT, until I watched Dean (Alphageek). When you squirt the CA on your pad, then touch the pad to the spinning blank, you CAN stay at top speed. (And the guy in the front row did NOT end up with his eyes glued shut.)

Surprised ME!!

But, then, I turn resin --- remember???

Edit- typed simutaneously with Dean

HSTurning

I aint that good yet.
I have only used the CA finish 3 times. All came out good just don't think I am ready to try it at 3900 just yet. I have used thin and medium without BLO.

All in good time.

Randy_

Just thought you guys might be interested..........

81 entries as of 11:30 PM ET.

As is par for the course, I have a few very interesting answers.........not correct; but interesting!!:wink:

I wonder if we will achieve 100 entries before the close of this contest?

Randy_

It is about 8:40 A.M. E.T. and we are up to 95 entries. Way to go guys......and gals!! Don't recall for sure; but last year, I think the first day drew about 60 entries.

Randy_

Final count for the first day: 104 entries!!

Now I've got sort thru them and see which are correct. From what I've seen to date, the answers are all over the place.:eek:

See you around 8 tonight!!:wink:

Randy_

Tim: That will be announced this evening at abouit 8 P.M. when the winners are announced.

I will tell you that everyone really stunk this one up!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Out of 104 entries, there were only 33 correct answers. The question I posted last year that I though was the most difficult (and more difficult than this one) was answered correctly by about 60% of the respondees. We usually get 80-90% correct answers and sometime even more!!

Maybe we just had a lot of people guessing since this was an easy question to guess at??:confused:

Last edited:

Pen Maker

Randy, can you tell me which one of these birthday bash contests has the grand prize of a trip to some place a little warmer? Say Cancun, St. Martin, Lahina? Thats the one I want to win! I can get a Mug at walmarts on my way out!

Waddaya mean what am I gonna do witda dawg? He's coming wit me!

Randy_

Randy, can you tell me which one of these birthday bash contests has the grand prize of a trip to some place a little warmer? Say Cancun, St. Martin, Lahina? Thats the one I want to win! I can get a Mug at walmarts on my way out!

Waddaya mean what am I gonna do witda dawg? He's coming wit me!

Last day of the Trivia Contest. Feb. 29!!:bananen_smilies027:

Last edited:

Randy_

I'm thinking you had a lot of guesses from people who don't have Jet Minis...My lathe has a reeves drive, so I had NO idea (hence my abstaining from this question)

Andrew

Hey, nothing wrong with guessing. As I recall, the entry fee is the same for a guess as for a known answer. And a quick Internet search would in most cases turn up an answer for someone who was semi-serious!!

kirkfranks

Hey, nothing wrong with guessing. As I recall, the entry fee is the same for a guess as for a known answer. And a quick Internet search would in most cases turn up an answer for someone who was semi-serious!!

I did a quick internet search since I don't have a jet.
I will let you know after learning if I was correct how accurate your statement is:)

polarbear1

Actually I did the internet search and it was not too quick, all I learned was how many step pulleys on the motor and shaft, iI could not find the top and bottom speed on each pulley. There was no way I saw to know for sure if, how much they overlapped, so i had to guess. On my VS lathe I have two pulleys both have close to the same slow speed, but one has more torque. But if there was another in the middle, you would be able to skip it to get all the speeds available.

Top Bottom