Week Three Blank Identification Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Here are the clue and the photo for Week Three.

As before, you likely should hold your guesses until Dave (RarestWood) logs on and confirms I got things right!

This is the third wood quiz of the IAP birthday bash and we have something interesting and desirable. This timber is coniferous; the tree is unmistakable and is now planted as a specimen tree in arboretums. I found this timber on a recent visit to a Devon England craftsman's workshop he said if I could guess the timber I could have the whole board, I failed but he did give me some to turn as far as clues are concerned the wood is rarely found in commerce if ever and most users chance upon a tree already cut down or acquire windfall timber. This timber is said to be sacrosanct to a particular tribal group. This tree has been introduced and grows in most temperate regions of the world including the Americas, Europe and of course Australia. The blanks shown have little pin knots and will patinate over time to a light golden colour. We need the botanical name for this timber and the common name.

Attachments

• image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 262

Lulanrt

Norfolk Island Pine
Araucaria heterophylla
(Salisb.) Franco
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Pinophyta
Class: Pinopsida
Order: Pinales
Family: Araucariaceae
Genus: Araucaria
Species: A. heterophylla

Lulanrt

Looks like the UKpenmaker has it right. Because the A. bidwillii was a sacred tree for the Aboriginal people. The pine cones of this tree look like they would be good for casting. Good job
Travis

marcruby

I'm finding the usual devious david clues. The most obvious choice is Bunya Bunya (Araucaria bidwillii) although I did find several references that indicate that it does get harvested for lumber. But I don't find any references to wide cultivation.

This is one of three trees that are closely related. I'm pretty sure it's not Norfolk Island Pine due to a characteristic of the island itself.

The last is the Monkey Puzzle Pine (Araucaria araucana). This is rarely in use as lumber but it is popular as a garden tree. In fact it's popular name was given it in an English garden when someone exclaimed "It would puzzle a monkey to climb that." It is sacred to the Mapuche Native American tribe. So that's my guess.

Marc

GaryMadore

OK, I've revised my estimate of possible answers to around 650.

Of THIS much, I am certain:

OK, back to the books.... Right now I'm reading "Identification of Coniferous Woods" by Francis Kukachka. This work would be a great help if I had a microscope (yes, a microscope!) and had a clue what the author was talking about ;)

Cheers!

Garu

Rarest wood

OK, I've revised my estimate of possible answers to around 650.

Of THIS much, I am certain:

OK, back to the books.... Right now I'm reading "Identification of Coniferous Woods" by Francis Kukachka. This work would be a great help if I had a microscope (yes, a microscope!) and had a clue what the author was talking about ;)

Cheers!

Garu

are you vexed yet? I notice your from Canadia I used to live in stouffville eh! there were some nice timbers there one called ironwood:confused: i didnt get an id and forgot to bring it with me on my travels i wonder what it was ??? kinda yellowish may have been a dogwood possibly
Canadian tyre and Tim hortons are national treaures as far as ime concerned.

you seem to be going the right way with things as far as the nomenclature is going but what comes after pinales that is the question

(there were no hints in this response)

Attachments

• pinales.jpg
    pinales.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 130

amosfella

are you vexed yet? I notice your from Canadia I used to live in stouffville eh! there were some nice timbers there one called ironwood:confused: i didnt get an id and forgot to bring it with me on my travels i wonder what it was ??? kinda yellowish may have been a dogwood possibly

you seem to be going the right way with things as far as the nomenclature is going but what comes after pinales that is the question

(there were no hints in this response)

I think you're talking about hornbeam.

GaryMadore

Dave,

Tim Horton's is, to this native west-coaster, an abomination. I call it "peasant coffee" and will only drink it if I can't find any sewage to drink instead ;)

I'll see what I can find out about your "Ironwood" and see if I can snag you some.

Cheers!

Gary

Rarest wood

Dave,

Tim Horton's is, to this native west-coaster, an abomination. I call it "peasant coffee" and will only drink it if I can't find any sewage to drink instead ;)

I'll see what I can find out about your "Ironwood" and see if I can snag you some.

Cheers!

Gary

well I didnt drink the coffee but always had the clam chowder and sprinkles donuts further to to my previous post it may well have been hop hornbeam it was very hard wood can any one post a pic of the wood?

GaryMadore

Gary - for shame! This peasant LOVES TIm Horton's! It's a national treasure!

Keep drinking that burned bean sludge from STarbucks for 30 bucks an ounce! :wink:

Heh heh heh

I have friends who call Starbuck's "FiveBucks" ;)

I did, of course, appreciate the Tim Horton's in Kandahar - and didn't complain about the "peasant coffee" even once...

Cheers!

Gary

marcruby

I'm kind of a Horton's fan myself. I've ordered my breakfast bagel and drink there for so long they can recite my order after I speak the first word

Marc

GaryMadore

Update: I am narrowing in on a guess (well, an emphatic statement) and am 97.332% certain. But there is one clue (patina) that is still vexxxxxxxing me (i.e. it doesn't fit in with my guess, er, I mean "emphatic statement")

Arrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh.......

Cheers!

Gary

Rarest wood

Update: I am narrowing in on a guess (well, an emphatic statement) and am 97.332% certain. But there is one clue (patina) that is still vexxxxxxxing me (i.e. it doesn't fit in with my guess, er, I mean "emphatic statement")

Arrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh.......

Cheers!

Gary

well its the 2.668 that will make all the difference by my calculation.

Seer

My Guess

Well after much research and liquids I have come to the conclusion I may be lost but I know where I stand.

CEDAR, TRUE. Cedrus Libani Barrel
C. Deodara London
C. atlantica Manetti.

GaryMadore

I`m with Jerry so far. There are a couple of clues that scare me away from this guess, but it`s the best I have so far:

Cedrus Libani, aka Lebanon Cedar, aka Cedar of Lebanon

Family: Pinaceae

Genus: Cedrus

Species: C. libani

Cheers!

Gary

philb

Oi Gary, trying to steal week 3 off of me now too!

This was the tree that first came to mind, so Im going to stick with it! Other than this one, Im a little stuck!

Cedar of Lebanon,
Cedrus libani

PHIL

Rarest wood

Its time now for a midweek hint just to help those in dire need like gary

"IT AINT CEDAR"

sorry gary & phil

Attachments

• Drevil_million_dollars.jpg
    Drevil_million_dollars.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

marcruby

My first reaction to the clue was to see if either of the cedars really wasn't a cedar. I wouldn't put it past Dave to come up with a 'pseudo-cedar.' Something like Cryptomera Japonica - Japanese Red Cedar. AKA Sugi the national tree of Japan where it's used a lot around temples and shrines. You wouldn't do that, would you DAve?

>:p

Marc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom