Week Four Blank Identification Quiz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
OK, the Blank ID, Also known as the Gary Madore, Contest is now in the last week.

Here's hope I get the right clue and photo together! Since there is only one option left, I have a chance of success. :redface:

Please hold your guesses until Dave posts that I have listed this correctly! Good luck to everyone but Gary!! :biggrin:

Have a look at the blanks here is an interesting timber with a fascinating grain. All I require again is the botanical name and a common name for this timber the winner of this competition will receive a couple of blanks in this timber

O you want clues? Ok I have provided a picture of the flowers and leaves
And the blanks.

Attachments

• image 1.jpg
    image 1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Lignum nocluensis.jpg
    Lignum nocluensis.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 255

bad

It looks like lacewood to me. Botanical name: Cardwellia Sublimis.

Oops! I just read the whole thread and realized that I was supposed to wait until the question is confirmed. Sorry :-(

Last edited:

bobskio2003

Oh the pain. I truly believe I have the answer but if I put it down, and everyone goes and checks it out and agrees with me, then I'm less likely to win them. Ah heck I may already have a sample of this species so I'll throw in the curve ball. And since we get two guesses and I waited too long for my second guess last time, I'll say that it is Knightia excelsa or Rewarewa or New Zealand Honeysuckle. At least this way I'll be one of the first to get it wrong.

Rudy Vey

It is not Lacewood!! Although it is from the same family as the lace woods (Proteaceae).
It is Rewarewa from New Zealand!! I have some of them, looks exactly like the blank in the picture!
My final answer is:
Rewarewa (latin name Knightia Excelsa)

bad

OK, if we're allowed 2 guesses then I'm going with Rewarewa or New Zealand Honeysuckle.

As an asside, I almost hope I don't win. I litterally stole this answer from one of the previous replies. On the bright side however I think I've finally figured out how to play this blank identification game :)

hdbblue

OK, I don't have a clue except for plagarizing the others, so I won't dilute the gene pool by tendering a guess. Good luck - you guys are so quick you deserve to win

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think everyone knows this one.
Knightia excelsa
Rewarewa
New Zealand Honeysuckle

I got some from a trading partner ...
.. in (gasp!) another penturning forum!

GaryMadore

I think everyone knows this one.

Yup, this one's gonna be up to the number generator for sure :)

Rewarewa/New Zealand Honeysuckle

Kingdom: Plantae

Division: Angiosperms

Class: Eudicots

Order: Proteales

Family: Proteaceae

Tribe: Knightieae

Genus: Knightia

Species: Knightea excelsa

(I was considering the k. deplanchei possibility, but I can't find any photos with the blooms in color)

Cheers!

Gary

markgum

after digging a little (took hints from those already posted) don't you just love sharing

Scientific species name: Knightia excelsa
Knightia named after the botanist Thomas Knight who was once President of the London Horticultural Society; excelsa (Latin) referring to the fact that rewarewa is lofty or high
Family: Rewarewa belongs to the moderately sized family of Proteaceae which occurs mainly in Australia and South Africa. There are only 3 species of Knightia, two in New Caledonia and one in New Zealand
Maori name (s): Rewarewa
Common name(s): New Zealand honeysuckle, 'the bucket of water tree', or the New Zealand bottlebrush.

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I got it in the bag, Brother: Everyone else is guessing some darned honey-thingy from New Zealand but WE know that it's PINE (wink, wink)

SSSSHHHHHH!!! Don't say PINE! You said PINE! Don't say pine, or
everyone will know what it is! Geez,we don't want anyone to know it's pine.

rjwolfe3

Rewarewa/New Zealand Honeysuckle

Division: Angiosperms

Class: Eudicots

Tribe: Knightieae

Genus: Knightia

Species: Knightea excelsa

S

spiritwoodturner

contesticum dumfoocicus adnauseum graburassicus maximus

A Rare but persistently annoying wood, if you stand in one place near it long enough, it sends out runners to grope you, but it only affects those whilst participating in annoying wood ID contests.

I know I'm right, and you all are doomed to some serious groping. Don't say I didn't warn you. Here's a pic of the tree with it's hideous limbs...it's a poor pic as I was running away from it's insideous grip.

Dale

Attachments

• iapcasey-carlson-bikini-photos-2-100x100.jpg
    iapcasey-carlson-bikini-photos-2-100x100.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 191

bobskio2003

Okay before Dave drive me entirely nuts (I'm already most ot the way there). I'm going to trump in yet again and tell you where you can find the picture of the flower that Cav posted in the original posting. That picture can be found at www.nzplantpics.com and it is the second picture down. Oh. I'm in trouble now.
So everyone chime in and we'll see if we can beat the number of trivia contest entrants.

stolicky

The grain looks like it could be Macadamia Nut, although a little dark from my experience.

Scientific classification
Genus: Macadamia
Source - Wikipedia

sparhawk

Common Names in English:

Bucket of Water Tree, New Zealand Bottlebrush, New Zealand Honeysuckle, Rewarewa
Domain: Eukaryota () - Whittaker & Margulis,1978
Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 Ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
Superorder: Proteanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
Order: Proteales () - Dumortier, 1829
Family: Proteaceae () - A.l. De Jussieu, 1789, Nom. Cons. - Protea Family
Genus: Knightia ()
Specific epithet: excelsa - R.Br.
Botanical name: - Knightia excelsa R.Br.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Knightia excelsa
Rewarewa / New Zealand Honeysuckle

The blank could be the one I got from Big Rob a couple of years ago...or it's twin sister!

Seer

Knightia excelsa. Family : Proteaceae. Species : Knightia excelsa. Common Name : Rewarewa, NZ honeysuckle. Koeleria cheesemanii.

Top Bottom