Slimline Contest Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davinci27

The Slimline Pen contest

Here are the contest rules. If you have any questions or need clarification please ask. It is better to ask the question than to have your entry disqualified.

The objective is to get creative with the standard slimline kit. This contest is open to anybody who wants to compete. All entires must be submitted by 9 AM EST on Feb 23rd. The winner will be announced on Feb 26th.

-- Begin Update --

I've been asked several times about the streamline kit, and after a little thought I think it will fit inside the guidelines. The only difference I can find between the kits is the centerband, which is an optional component anyway. To be fair, I will say any kit that has the same size and shape nib, finial, clip, tubes (length and diameter) and transmission can be used for this contest. Basically if the only thing different between your kit and a slimline kit is the centerband then your kit qualifies. I'll measure a slimline kit tonight, just to set out some specific sizes guidelines for those who don't have a slimline kit to compare.

-- End Update --

Prizes
1st - $100 CDN Gift Certificate compliments of William Woodwrite - penblanks.ca
2nd - 1 sample pack of exotic woods from South Africa compliments of Zambezi Exotics
Most Innovative - 3 Ebonite blanks. 2 black and one black/yellow swirl compliments of Russianwolf.

Basic Rules

1. Entry must be a pen, and the refill must be retractable without requiring the pen to be disassembled.
  2. You need to use a slimline kit.
  3. The only optional part is the center-band. You must use the transmission, tubes, nib, clip, refill and finial. You can add additional parts to your pen, but additional parts have to come from a slimline kit. You can also modify the parts. Any parts that are traditionally visible, must be at least partially visible on the final pen.
  4. You can enter a maximum of 2 pens you need to submit at least 3 pictures of each pen. Photos should show all sides of the pen. At least one photo should show the refill out and one should show the refill retracted. You should try to take the best picture possible. Judges will use the photos to quantify the quality of the pen. (i.e. If the pen appears out of round in the pictures the judges will have to assume it is out of round.)
  5. One entry can win multiple prizes. First or second place pen can also win most innovative.
  6. Pens will be judge by a panel of respected IAP members. The judges will be anonymous and their decisions will be final. Judges will not know which pens belong to which members until after the winner is selected. Pens will be judged on their fit & finish, form, and innovation. In the event of a tie, photo quality will be used to determine the winner.
  7. Pens entered in the competition should not have been shown on any forum prior to entry, and must not be posted prior to winners being announced.
  8. Entries should be sent to slimlines@penturners.org. All entries have to include the users IAP username, name, mailing address, email and phone number. Entries without all the proper information will be disqualified. They must be submitted by 9 AM EST on Feb 23rd. For those of you on a International scale, EST is GMT-5

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I'm kind of late at this but I do have a question . . . What are we aiming for? Prettiest? Most pieces in a design? Most unique? Or does it just have to be a slimline?? Do any other 7mm styles qualify?

davinci27

What are we aiming for? Prettiest? Most pieces in a design? Most unique? Or does it just have to be a slimline?? Do any other 7mm styles qualify?

Basically we want to see what you can do with a slimline. It has to be a kit marketed as a slimline. If you want to do a euro style with slimline parts thats fine, but the pieces must be slimline parts. Anything you can come up with works. Innovation does count. Here are the guidelines the judges are using:

Fit & Finish 1-10 (how things meet the bushings, sanding, finish, etc)
Form 1-10 (shape and quality of turning)
Innovation (creative blanks, use of parts, etc) 1-10
Photography 1-10 (used as a tie breaker)

is this the beginner contest or open to any one?

This contest is open to anybody at any stage in pen turning. If you can make a slimline you can enter the contest.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'd love to enter this contest but I found the rules very restrictive.

Having to use all the parts ( sans the cb ) doesn't leave a lot of room for creativity:frown:

The biggest snag is that the kit has to have been sold as a 'Slimline'

What about 'Streamline' , 'Mini Pen' , 'Comfort Grip' , 'Longwood' to mention just a few of dozens

I dunno, it just seems like the 'Newbie Contest' will have more fantastic pens than this one, which I assume is aimed at the more seasoned guys.
Take a look at the Newbie entries so far, there are some really cool pens there.
I think that we should have had a 'Free Style' contest where anything goes.

Sorry for whining:redface: I'm not attempting to belittle this contest at all and might even have a go if I get a chance. Maybe I'll just have to think harder:biggrin:

davinci27

The reason for the using the kits is I really didn't want this to turn into a kitless challenge. I was also trying to keep pens in the same size range as the standard slimline. I was hoping people would come up with new uses for a kit that just about everybody either owns or has turned at some point. I looked at pens from the slimline contests a couple of years ago and thought several of the winning pens would fit these guidelines, or could with very slight modifications.

LouisQC

Does it have to me modified? If not, I'll enter mine I made last week.

Edit: I guess I should have read the rules carefully prior to posting my question. Can't have be posted on any forum prior to the contest entry.

I'll check if I have another Slim in stock, I gladly accept that gift certificate :)

Last edited:

sparhawk

Hey Ben i think i have a streamline in the shop. Isnt the finial the same as a european? And i think the rules make it more of a challenge for the more advanced penturners. If there are no restrictions there will be all kinds of diferent pens(kits, segments on different kits...etc) while having to work under the same restrictions make you try harder for something different within the same boundaries. You are doing a great job! Love this place!Keep up the good work. P.S. If there are no rules we know skiprat would win.:biggrin:

ok I sent two pens that I have done, and No Laughing either!!!! I am not sure if the heart pen pics are correct for I applied them to the email, if not showing up well, let me know and I will send anouther in file form, thanks!!!! NO LAUGHING!!

davinci27

Here's the list of users who have submitted pens. If your name is not on the list and you have submitted a pen, or the number of pens submitted is not correct please let me know.

CaptG - 1 pen
wb7whi - 1 pen
Cinder_ladylocket - 1 pen
davepowers - 2 pens
Hilltopper46 - 1 pen
jlg2x - 1 pen
MagnificatCreations - 2 pens
Manny - 2 pens
Mudpuppie - 1 pen
NewLondon88 - 1 pen
papaturner - 1 pen
Rick_G - 2 pens
Shadowbane - 1 pen
sparhawk - 2 pens

davinci27

Okay as some folks know, my father-in-law passed last friday, so I'm running a bit slow on things. Luckily ed & dawn stepped in and helped out with the freestyle contest, but all these entries were sitting in my email inbox, so I'm handling this contest. I should get all the entries in the judges hands today and if everything goes well I'll still be able to post winners on the 26th, but depending on when I manage to finally get all the entries out, it may be the 27th before the final winners are posted.

Sorry if this cause any issues.
Thanks
Ben

Top Bottom