Photo Contest Extended 24 hrs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Late last night I tweaked the rules just a little for the photo contest so that folks can now submit any photo they took regardless of when it was taken. The original rule said they had to be taken during Feb. 2009. I decided that since I changed them late in the game, I would keep the contest open for an additional day to make it fair and get even more participation. Send in those photos by 11:59 Feb 13th and possibly win a great prize!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wb7whi

HUMMmmmm, So now a stock photo can be entered. Does this seem fair to those who turned a pen then designed a medium for which to view the pen from the time the contest was announced to now.

Dont mean to be a bump on a log here but that was how the contest was designed. The pressure to get the pen made and submitted in time was a viable part of the contest.

Wayne

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
It's Curtis' contest, so I don't know much about it, Wayne, but I would guess that the decision was made to try and get more active participation.

I know I've been meaning to enter, but my work has been very tiring lately, so I haven't had any shop time. Maybe I can get something made before the deadline!

Art Fuldodger

HUMMmmmm, So now a stock photo can be entered.

It depends... did you take the stock photo? If you took the photo, and have the rights to it (i.e., you haven't done it under contract), you can enter - even if you have sold someone else the rights to use the image as well. I think that's pretty fair.

PenAffair

HUMMmmmm, So now a stock photo can be entered. Does this seem fair to those who turned a pen then designed a medium for which to view the pen from the time the contest was announced to now.

Dont mean to be a bump on a log here but that was how the contest was designed. The pressure to get the pen made and submitted in time was a viable part of the contest.

Wayne

Maybe there should be another judging criteria added to get the total score. Something like "Timeliness" with a bonus for those who submitted to the original rules, a bit less to the revised rules, and no bonus for this last change.

Russell.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Wayne,

The contest was never about making a pen. The rules only stated that you had to take the photo during the time period, not also make the pen. This is a photo contest, not a pen contest.

The rules were modified slightly since many of the photos I received were taken before February. I simply do not have the time to look at the exif data from every picture to see when they were taken. If I disqualified everyone who sent pics taken before Feb. there really would not be much of a contest.

That said, if there is a big enough consensus of folks who have submitted pics that think it is unfair to allow photos taken before February, then I will disqualify those photos and go on down the road!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Russell, there has only been one change in the rules other than extending the deadline by 24 hours. I will certainly confer with the judges and see if they want to undertake your suggestion of giving more points to those who took the photos during the time period. That sound like a good idea but not real sure how to implement it.

PenAffair

I will certainly confer with the judges and see if they want to undertake your suggestion of giving more points to those who took the photos during the time period. That sound like a good idea but not real sure how to implement it.

Yeah I guess that's not really fair to those who were prepared but were saving their submissions until the last minute, just in case they had a brainstorm or something.

I'm just impatient to see the results so I know whether I need to prepare some new photos for the other competitions.

Russell.

Gary Max

This works for me-----heck the the photo I enter was taken at 5 below zero two weeks ago----I think the camera froze up---it looked like it was taken in a cave.
I got one thats real neat that I will add today.
Thanks Curtis

davinci27

Just a point here, you can't trust the exif data from the pics either. Mine is going to say it was taken3 or 4 years ago, but it was taken last night. I never bother to set the date and time on my camera.

mrcook4570

That said, if there is a big enough consensus of folks who have submitted pics that think it is unfair to allow photos taken before February, then I will disqualify those photos and go on down the road!

Curtis

You changed the rule to allow photos taken before Feb. Now are you saying that you may disqualify those photos because someone is unhappy with your rule change. Even though people were playing within the rules they may be disqualified :confused: That's like reducing the speed limit on the interstate from 70mph to 25mph today and issuing speeding tickets to everyone who drove on the interstate yesterday.

Now I can certainly understand if you choose to disqualify photos taken before Feb that were submitted prior to the rule change. That was against the rules at the time of their submission.

Pen Maker

I think all photos taken with any camera EXCEPT a Sony camera, should be disallowed myself..... well it makes as much sense as the other ruling.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Stan,

No, I am not going to disquality the photos taken before February. There is no real way to know for sure anyway.

Actualy, I am going to disquality any photos taken while standing your head or while standing on one leg!

Daniel

Let's see if I can help.
if it is a photo and you took it send it in. if you are asked any questions plead the 5th.
k got it lets review
photo
you took
plead
never know it will not hurt at the very least.

oh and keep in mind that even the best photo could have been better. don't think so? just ask the person that took it.
If you only enter to be selected as best. all but one of you will be dissapointed.
The winner will spend the rest of this year fending off requests to photographing every pen ever made by any penturner....ever. Do you really want to win.
The winner will have their e-mail jammed with messages requesting suggestions on how to improve the pictures of every person that has ever even thought of taking a picture of a pen. still want to win.
If you still enter only because you want to win. you are crazy so go ahead the above will not only not bother you you are not likely to actually be aware of it anyway.
for the rest of us. lets all send in photos just to make curtis have to look at lots of them. lots and lots of them, hours of them, hour after tedious hour of them.
By the way Curtis, did I ever tell you how much I appreciate you?

Top Bottom