Freestyle Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davinci27

Ask and ye shall receive.

The objective is to make a pen. Only pens that are new to the site this month will be eligible. If you've already posted the pen to the SOYP forum that is fine, it just has to be a pen that wasn't shown prior to February 1st.

Judging will be 2 part. First a panel of judges will pick the top pens, then we will post a poll to let users vote for the winners. The poll will be posted on Feb 24th and winners will be pulled from the poll at 12:00 on Feb 27th.

This contest is open to anybody who wants to compete. Any and all styles of pen will work. All entires must be submitted by 9 AM EST on Feb 22nd. The winner will be announced on Feb 27th.

Entry Replacement
You can replace any of your previous pens by posting a new entry. When it comes time for judging I will take the last 2 entries posted to this thread as the 2 pens you would like to enter.

Prizes
Wow we have a slew of great prizes. Here's some of them, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to distribute the rest of the prizes.

These prizes will be based on the user votes.

1st place

• 2 blanks from the Iberia sunk 1888 (1 stabilized, 1 natural), 2 pc Ipe (1.5x3x6) from the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, and 2 pc (.75x6) of teak from the Andrea Dorea handrail from Ron Schmitt
  • 5 lg SF Nibs, 5 pen stands from DCBluesman
  • 1 Jr Gent Copperhead Set from PR_Princess
2nd Place

• $50.00 Gift Cert. from KJP Select
  • Digital Vernier Caliper from Skippy
Best Trash Talker - This is for the person with the best zings at his fellow turners expense. Anybody can win, but you have to enter a pen. Your wit has to be sharp but your pen doesn't
  • Box of Blanks from Woodlvr
  • Economy Sanding Mill from Rherell

These prizes will be decided by the judges

Almost Made It
- For the pen that almost made it into the voting but didn't.

• Box of Blanks from Leap
Top Kit Pen - For the best pen that uses a stock kit

• Box of Burl from Nolan
  • Ren Wax (Lg container) 046-0700 from Craft Supply USA
Random Voter - This one is too easy. All you have to do is follow along with the thread and vote for your favorite pen. I'll randomly pick one voter from the list, and give you a prize. I've also moved the trash talker category into a user vote, so vote in both polls and double your chances to win.

• Inlay Kits Prize Package from Constant
  • $10.00 Gift Cert to CSUSA from Mudder
  • 1/2 " drill chuck MT2 and bushing set from Johnnycnc

We've got 2 more prizes, but I haven't decided how they will be given out. I'll update the post as soon as I decide.

Basic Rules

1. Entry must be a pen.
  2. You can enter a maximum of 2 pens you need to submit at least 2 pictures of each pen. You should try to take the best picture possible. Judges will use the photos to quantify the quality of the pen. (i.e. If the pen appears out of round in the pictures the judges will have to assume it is out of round.)
  3. In the event of a tie, photo quality will be used to determine the winner.
  4. Entries should be posted to this forum topic.

Last edited:

PenAffair

So I take i there's no actualy criteria apart from it being a pen that gets the most votes. It could be the most ugly, the most astounding, the one with the naked girl pictures on etc etc, as long as it gets public opinion on it's side?

Let's just hope Boone doesn't post a new puzzle pen picture then....

Russell.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If there's a naked girl CARRYING it, I'd say its voting chances were good.

(Family site, you might catch a little flack, but hey, how bad do you want the unannouced prize???!!!)

davinci27

You have to make it by the judges first, but there is no set criteria. The judges will pick the top 5 or 10 depending on the number of entries and number of prizes. Then the public will vote for the actual winner.

workinforwood

Finally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in!

Originally I built these pens because, as I told Cav, I thought there was a contest for more advanced pens.:eek:
And so, I present, Spongebob, and Cube-bits.

SB1.jpg

SB3.jpg

sponge009.jpg

sponge021.jpg

Last edited:

workinforwood

Right, the contest is closed. Nobody can resist the sponge, so no need to go any further! I so humbly accept the secret prizes so long as they do not contain any bodily excretions from anything that is or was once living. I'd like to thank my wife for her patience and understanding for all my shop time with these projects and many others. I would also like to thank Fido for chasing away the skunk in the yard and then going back to his owners house which is not mine thank goodness! And finally, I thank all the great people of the IAP that are not residents of Ohio, for all their great support!

Draken

My Entry

Can't have workinforwood be the only entry into this contest. Here's my entry. It is a Jr. Gent with a custom segmented blank made of Curly Maple, Aluminum, Redheart, and black veneer. The diamond insert is Tasmanian Eucalyptus Burl wrapped in black veneer. This was quite the learning experience for me, took three attempts to create a segmented blank that I was happy with.

Attachments

• SegPen1CS.JPG
    SegPen1CS.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 474
  • SegPen2CS.JPG
    SegPen2CS.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 400

PenAffair

These prizes will be based on the user votes.

1st place

• 2 blanks from the Iberia sunk 1888 (1 stabilized, 1 natural), 2 pc Ipe (1.5x3x6) from the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, and 2 pc (.75x6) of teak from the Andrea Dorea handrail from Ron Schmitt
Man, I only just realised this. The Iberia is nice enough, but are we talking THE Andrea Doria? Almost as famous as the Titanic??

If so, can I buy someone else's picture and post it as mine? :biggrin:

Someone's gonna be very lucky.

Russell.

PenAffair

Can't have workinforwood be the only entry into this contest. Here's my entry. It is a Jr. Gent with a custom segmented blank made of Curly Maple, Aluminum, Redheart, and black veneer. The diamond insert is Tasmanian Eucalyptus Burl wrapped in black veneer. This was quite the learning experience for me, took three attempts to create a segmented blank that I was happy with.

That's very classy James, I like it.

Russell.

ldb2000

Ok Jeff move over , I can finally play and your crowding me . :biggrin:
Ok Skippy lets see what ya got . :tongue:
Let's see .....I know there's nothing new under the sun but ....How about a really cool pen design , I think I can do that . :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok Jeff move over , I can finally play and your crowding me . :biggrin:
Ok Skippy lets see what ya got . :tongue:
Let's see .....I know there's nothing new under the sun but ....How about a really cool pen design , I think I can do that . :)

Hey Jeff, looks like this PMG newbie is cruisin' for a bruisin':biggrin:

Ok Butch, take your best shot, sunshine!!!!!!:rotfl:

workinforwood

:smile-big:I'm voting we re-name this contest "Swollen Head contest".

You two have nothing innovative to bring to the table. You guys duke it out behind the shed while I gather all the votes from the kids in the school. Free candy for all those that vote for me...even though I know ya'll would anyhow!

Draken

That's very classy James, I like it.

Russell.

Thank you Russell for your kind comments. This design has been bouncing around in my head for a while. Mentioned it to a guy at work, said if I made it, he'd buy it. With my limited time in the shop, and needing to redo the blanks for various problems, I'm glad it is finally done, the guy at work is quite pleased with it, and it only took me a year to complete it. :redface:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Beware of the Richmond contigent.:devil: And just in case Ed is one of the judges, there will be Alternate Ivory in my pen

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
It's 11.30pm and I've JUST finished my first one. No stainless steel this time:eek: This is a bit of a hodge podge, parts from 3 completely different kits and one of Lou's 18k nibs and convertors. Also my first recessed clip.

Bruce, you MAY be using Ed's Alt Ivory, but I'm using his boss's cool black PR!!!!

OK Butch, lets see whatcha got:biggrin:

Attachments

• Freestyle1.jpg
    Freestyle1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 406
  • Freestyle3.jpg
    Freestyle3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 367

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
It's 11.30pm and I've JUST finished my first one. No stainless steel this time:eek: This is a bit of a hodge podge, parts from 3 completely different kits and one of Lou's 18k nibs and convertors. Also my first recessed clip.

Bruce, you MAY be using Ed's Alt Ivory, but I'm using his boss's cool black PR!!!!

OK Butch, lets see whatcha got:biggrin:
Wrong contest Skippy -The ugly pen contest is in another thread:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeesh!!!! :mad: With mates like you guys, who needs enemas???:biggrin:

I guess I'll have to scratch in my rat box and see what I can find.

I don't think any of us is going to beat Old Sqwishy Square Pants though:eek:

Ben, if you are not one of the judges, then why can't you enter one of yours??:confused:

workinforwood

I like you pen Steve, but it does lack any sort of punch. It's a tough call, the lines are really nice and straight, it's a very clean polished pen, but it doesn't have anywhere near your normal pizazz. Who knows what judges will be looking for. Could be clean and simple or outragious and crazy. You better get back to the drawing board so Butch can have some new ideas!:tongue:

davinci27

Ben, if you are not one of the judges, then why can't you enter one of yours??:confused:

Just part of the rules or running a contest. I guess since I pick the judges, I could pretend to be several people and nobody would know the difference. If I did decide to actually pick judges, I would know who to bribe with a nice box of blanks.:biggrin::biggrin:

davinci27

Prize for the Best Trash Talker

So reading all the friendly comments between the locals made me think of a new prize category.

Best Trash Talker - This is for the person with the best zings at his fellow turners expense. Anybody can win, but you have to enter a pen. Your wit has to be sharp but your pen doesn't. If you've got something to say, take a picture of a pen and let it fly.

• Box of Blanks from Woodlvr

Now Butch and Bruce, I haven't seen any pen entries from you yet. So far you are just wasting hot air.:biggrin: That's fine for balloons, but doesn't do much good around here.

Last edited:

workinforwood

Davinci Code:

This is why Ben isn't in the contest....:biggrin:

Written across the wall of the cave were the following symbols:
davinci.jpg

It was considered a unique find and the writings were carbon dated at approx three thousand years old!

The stone on which the symbols appeared was removed, brought to a museum, where archaeologists from around the world came to study the ancient symbols. They held numerous meeting s and after months of deliberations determined the meaning of the markings.

The President of the society pointed to the first symbol and said: "This is a woman. We can see these people held women in high esteem. You can also tell they were intelligent, as the next symbol is a donkey, so they were astute enough to have animals help them till the soil.
The next drawing is a shovel, which means they utilised tools."

Even further proof of their high intelligence is the fish, which means that in times of famine, they sought food from the sea. The last symbol appears to be the Star of David which means they were evidently Hebrew.

The audience applauded enthusiastically.

Then a little old Jewish man stood up in the back of the room and said, "Idiots, Hebrew is read from right to left…...
It says: 'Holy Mackerel, Dig The Ass On That Chick

davinci27

This is why Ben isn't in the contest....:biggrin:

I have to admit this comment+story has left me a bit confused. I'm trying to figure out where I fit in. I tried to find my self in the story, I'm not female and nobody would be particularly impressed with my posterior. I'm not small, old or Jewish so that's right out. I could be the archeologist missing the obvious but I doubt anybody would elect me president of anything.

So that leaves me with 2 possibilities. First and most likely you have a touch of ADD. The first comment was letting me know my jab at butch and bruce was fairly weak, but before you could finish that thought you moved on to the story.

The second possibilty is that I am the jackass carved on the stone.

ldb2000

Now Butch and Bruce, I haven't seen any pen entries from you yet. So far you are just wasting hot air.:biggrin: That's fine for balloons, but doesn't do much good around here.

Like Jeff said , I'm waiting for skippy to put up something worth stealing......eeerrrrr.....worth learning from .:biggrin:

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
En Garde all ye who enter here. This sword is mighty and can slay lesser penmakers (or better ones too!)

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Pirate 1.jpg
    Pirate 1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 653
  • Pirate 3.JPG
    Pirate 3.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 638
  • Pirate 2.jpg
    Pirate 2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Welcome aboard shipmate!!!!:biggrin: Looking cool too!!:biggrin:

Just one thing.......isn't the finger guard thingy on the hilt supposed to be on the same side as the cutting edge???:confused:
And don't worry about that Squishy Sponge Brain apology for a pen, that's only good for mopping the floor. If he wins with that, then we'll know for sure that the judges can be bought!!!!!!

I've almost finished a new one that is now sitting in my wifes oven at the moment!!! 200 deg C for 1 hour. Made from bolts too!!:wink:

Top Bottom