Chapter Collaboration Contest (3C's)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Guys,

I apologize...there seem to be a break down on who will determine and announce the winner and it is my fault. :redface:

We will post the pics of all the entries and announce the winner as soon as possible. (Not always easy when panels have different time zones and work schedule).

Again my apologies.

Dario

Second Place - #1 Northern Virginia Chapter

Entry No. 1 Pictures

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last edited:
S

spiritwoodturner

I LOVE #5!!! I really do think those are lovely.
Dale

Dario

And the winners are:

First Place - #6 Northern/Central California Chapter

Second Place - #1 Northern Virginia Chapter

Third Place - #3 Michigan Chapter

Prizes will be posted later and winners will be contacted via email as well.

CONGRATULATIONS to the Winners and Thanks to all the participants!!!

workinforwood

In about 20 yrs, your going to be getting a butt kickin Greg, because I planted a Michigan banana tree in my back yard to take on those California oranges. Just mark you calendar for 2029, Yeehaw!!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Wow, amongst all those amazing entries we got picked. Thank you and we are most honored!!

After looking at all the entries it is no wonder that the judges needed a little extra time. Thanks for all your hard work. Especially Dario and Cav!!!

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I can't wait, Jeff!!

Yours was a masterful piece. I'm actually a little surprised we won over it. Great job and thanks for making it fun with all the smack talking you've been doing!!

GK

workinforwood

Yes, the smack talk is too hard for me to resist! All in good fun of course. On the serious side of things..I really thought we had this in the bag easy as pie! I thought everyone was so busy scrambling to figure out what to do and who to do it, that the pens would be average at best. When I saw the other 6 entries, I was instantly put in my place! Any one of those pens was deserving of first place, no doubt in my mind. So I emailed Marc and told him...Oh Boy...this isn't the walk in the park I expected!!! I'm very impressed and excited that we even pulled off third from that amazing display of pens.

Draken

Awesome collection of work shown, great job everyone. Glad I wasn't a judge for this one, certainly a tough decision. There won't be any bashing from me!

Very happy placing in the top three of this event. My thanks goes out to all the members of the Northern Virginia chapter that had a hand and/or suggestion for our entry.

marcruby

I would like to know the details of the photography, especially that of our winner. It's not often that one sees a direct image on black that is absolutely spotless.

Marc

Wow, amongst all those amazing entries we got picked. Thank you and we are most honored!!

After looking at all the entries it is no wonder that the judges needed a little extra time. Thanks for all your hard work. Especially Dario and Cav!!!

GK

Dario

I would like to know the details of the photography, especially that of our winner. It's not often that one sees a direct image on black that is absolutely spotless.

Marc

Marc,

Just to let you know that the decision of the panel of judges is final and we won't entertain protests. It may not be perfect and you may not agree but it is final.

FYI, our judges have varying choices too and we have to get the average. Hope this helps.

If the winner shares the photography details that is fine...but it won't come from us.

marcruby

I'm not sure what your little slam is about, but I think you owe me an apology. I was making a compliment. What I asked was a normal question when a photographer sees a notable shot by another photographer. I'm more than a little surprised by the vehemence of your response. It certainly isn't in the spirit of the IAP.

Marc

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Marc, I appreciate the complement. I'll tell you it was a real Beahtch to get those shots. I took somewhere around 40 shots to get those 4.

I used an 18" cube light tent with a light on either side and a light just above the camera (pointed at and extreme angle parallel to the pen so it gave that tiny sliver of reflection). In the cube was a brand new 18" piece of black acrylic that I had just purchased for these photographs because all my other pieces of acrylic were too small so left a line showing through the middle of the cap in the opened photo. Aimed the camera very carefully so that the reflection showed only one wall of the tent so there were no seams in the reflection either.

As for dust... SWMBO can tell you I was cussing up a storm. After removing the protective wrap from the acrylic it attracted dust all the way from WorkinForWood's shop. I tried a used drier sheet like I read about on someone's post but it left streaks so I retreated the acrylic with Novus 1, which has an anti-static factor to it. I created a new pen stand out of acrylic and treated it the same way so it wouldn't attract any dust either (and it hides really well in the pictures).

THEN I changed into a clean, long-sleeved shirt and put on a lint-free white glove that came with my tent. I would wipe down the pen with a micro-fiber cloth and then set the pen in place. Wait a minute or so to see what dust settled then wipe that up very carefully and very slowly (so I don't stir up any other dust). Wait a minute and check again. If I think it is clean shoot the picture at full resolution of the camera and use the zoom function to check the entire frame for dust. Curse a lot and wipe up the specs that got in there and shoot again. Repeat until I would get one shot that was dust free in the area I knew would be left after cropping. Yes, there was still dust in the full-sized picture but not in the cropped area.

I also would use the zoom to look for any missed finger prints. Yet I still missed some. Look at the side of the clip in the last photo and the end-cap in the 3rd photo. I can see hints of fingerprints.

Now, start over with the pen in the next position.

Oh, did I mention that I wiped down the pen with an automotive wax that has anti-static capabilities too? I did.

I have never put this much effort into taking a pen picture before and may never do it again (until next year's pen contest). But I knew that the photography was part of the judging criteria and knew that I had an advantage in that area because of my experience and I knew that I would need every advantage I could get because the pen isn't perfect and the photos show that. Lastly, I knew that after the contest I was going to post these same pictures to eBay to sell the pen to try to raise money for JDRF so wanted to show the pen in the best light possible. If nothing else, THAT is worth the extra work.

You can ask my wife, when I saw all the pens posted I told her I didn't think we would win. I was surprised, happily so, when we did. Now I can put "Prize winning pen" in the JDRF fund raising ad. That should be good for a couple of extra bucks!! :wink:

GK

Marc

Last edited:

marcruby

Thanks Marc, I appreciate the complement.
GK

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation - which I intend to put into play next year when Michigan beats everyone else. Your efforts certainly show in the quality of your images. One of my frustrations was the some of the dust spots were actually embedded in the pen matrix, a hazard I hadn't even considered.

Marc

Last edited:

Dario

I'm not sure what your little slam is about, but I think you owe me an apology. I was making a compliment. What I asked was a normal question when a photographer sees a notable shot by another photographer. I'm more than a little surprised by the vehemence of your response. It certainly isn't in the spirit of the IAP.

Marc

I must have misunderstood and I apologize.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I think the biggest thing for your shots was to change the background. Your pen blended into it wayyyyy too much which muddied the beauty and hid the details of your pen.

Look for a pro/car-show grade auto wax that has anti-static capabilities. Mine is a 15 year old bottle of Eagle1 with Teflon. I don't know what I am going to do when that runs out. But the approximately 3 ounces I have left will probably last me a lifetime of pens considering one drop is enough to coat 6 or 8 pens.

GK

marcruby

I decided against black because I had had just used it elsewhere and I wanted to avoid the dust headache. I did consider using a slab of Petosky stone, bloodwood or claro walnut, but time became the enemy. Next time I'll have some alternatives handy. Another possibility I didn't think of and should have was a slab of slate dampened down, which would have provided some interesting texture and eaten most of the dust.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Wet slate would look cool.

Do notice that first and second place had reflections. :wink:

Hmm maybe the wet slate would give enough reflection and yet "eat dust". I'll have to try that.

GK

Ratto

That is a shame I wanted to see that one.

We have not given up on the fruits and nuts pen. I managed to find the main piece that broke off and glued it back on to the tube. It actually blew apart while trying to repair a previous repair that did not look right. When I finish it, I will have Greg Ketell photograph and post it. If you do not see it posted then it blew up again and I gave up. Some pieces of wood just are not meant to be pens. The wood is orange and walnut.

Dave

Congratulations to all those who entered. I am amazed at how much can be accomplished in a short period of time. I am flattered that Michigan took 3rd place with the competition so fierce. The first and second places are well deserving of thier finishes but they, like ours, could have easily been replaced with oneof the others and who would be able to dispute it? They are all deserving of praise. Looking forward to next year.
Now... what to do with the pens we made?

Top Bottom