Blank ID Contest Week 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

juteck

Red Lauan

My vote is for Red Lauan from SE Asia, Philippines.

Family: DIPTEROCARPACEAE

Scientific Name(s): Shorea negrosensis*, Shorea polysperma* (* Belonging to sub-genus Rubroshorea)

Local names include red lauan, tangile, and tiaon.

Other common names include almon, apitong, bagtikan, guijo, mangachapui, mayapis, narig, palosapis, tiaong, yacal, phillipine mahogany, meranti, and pacific maple.

The wood is red-brown more or less dark, slightly lustrous, and ribbon like aspect. Visible silver figure. Presence of red lines.

Fungi and termite resistance is moderately durable.

The denser, dark red merantis have better decay resistance and are relatively stable.

----
I have to leave for a work trip, but here's a little information that I have on it so far -- still need to add more detail to meet the contest rules.......

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

Dave;

At this point the list of woods that meet all but one of the clues is encyclopedic. Barring divine intervention you've got me completely bamboozled.

>:p

Actually, the closest thing I found really is Brazil Wood

Division Magnoliophyta – Flowering plants
Class Magnoliopsida – Dicotyledons
Subclass Rosidae
Order Fabales
Family Fabaceae – Pea family
Genus Caesalpinia
Species Caesalpinia echinata

With the aforementioned note about being 'toothy'

It's termite resistant and becoming quite rare thanks to a hord of violin bow makers.
It's red, but I can't find any reference to yellow.
I found one reference to it being used in cabinetry.
It is also used in dye making (red AND yellow) but I would have thought you would mention that as a clue.
It's the state tree of Brazil, even. In fact Brazil was named after the tree, not vice versa - the name means 'glowing coals' - a reference to the wood's color.

And someone else has already made this guess and I think he deserves the prize if it's right. I'm having enough fun scrambling through the net.

Marc

Last edited:

Skye

I've got another pick, but I can't find all the family, order, blah blah info on it. It's probably not right anyhow, lol

bobskio2003

Definitely not balsa (that's too available). I'm beginning to think it might be Billus Baumbeckus or more commonly known as Dyed Stablilized wood. It meets most of the qualifications - resistant to termites, can have a red phase and yellow phase (when double dyed), it's somewhat rare, and a good portion of it sold has interesting figure. Bob

bananajeep

Intsia bijuga - offical tree of the US territory of Guam

Common Name: ipil, merbau, kwila, Borneo Teak, Faux Gayac, Fehi, Gayac, Moluccan Ironwood
Botanical Name: Intsia bijuga

The offical tree of Guam

Family: Fabaceae
Subfamily: Caesalpinioideae
Tribe: Detarieae
Genus: Intsia
Species: I. bijuga

Intsia is a genus of legume in the Fabaceae family. The seeds are hourglass shaped or peanut shaped - hence "legume".

Mike Johnson
bananajeep

GouletPens

marc if you want one more stab be my guest only one more mind so think about it carefully
.........do you cut the red wire or the .....green wire......meanwhile the clock is ticking ...and beads of sweat appear on his forhead.......the girl at his right side tied to the chair is looking nerviously nay pleadingly at him.......little does she know that he is colour blind ..............finaly he makes his choice and cuts....:biggrin:
only 5 seconds left, MacGruber!!

bobskio2003

What does that mean? Defenseless and dependent on your mother? (I don't think so), Caught red handed? (Maybe), Hairless? (possibly but nothing wrong with that. I'm follically challenged as well), numerous? (I don't know how many "Daves" there are in IAP) or not commonly found in the UK (boy you must travel a lot). That's what I think when I see your avatar so it would be interesting to see why you think it describes you.

Skye

I'll take another stab:

TEAK.

Kingdom Plantae -- Planta, plantes, plants, Vegetal
subkingdom Tracheobionta -- vascular plants
Division Magnoliophyta -- angiospermes, angiosperms, flowering plants, phanérogames, plantes à fleurs, plantes à fruits
Class Magnoliopsida -- dicots, dicotylédones, dicotyledons
Subclass Asteridae
Order Lamiales
Family Verbenaceae Adans., nom. cons. -- verbénacées, verbenas
Genus Tectona L. f. -- tectona
Species Tectona grandis L. f. -- teak

The name teak comes from the Tamil word Thekku.

Rarest wood

your barking up the wrong tree skye.:biggrin:

Attachments

• WrongTree.jpg
    WrongTree.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 100

GaryMadore

Has NOBODY got this one yet?

I tell ya: I came across a lot of possibilities (a lot of them already mentioned here) that *almost* answer every part of the provided clue.

I have yet, though, to find one that fits perfectly.

Vexing, this is....

Cheers!

Gary

bobskio2003

Vexing? It's down right maddening. I just hope that if I'm not right it won't be one of those that I feel like kicking myself (because my leg doesn't reach my head anymore and I'm definitely not going to ask for volunteers here. Bob I.

Dario

The only thing I have against it being Narra is that pterocarpus indica means winged fruit tree from India. And that's seriously boring. I mean it's the Phillipine national tree and all they can manage is 'from India'?

>:p

Marc

Not because the scientific name used was from India does that automatically mean the wood originated from there. :wink: :rolleyes:

GaryMadore

Vexing? It's down right maddening. I just hope that if I'm not right it won't be one of those that I feel like kicking myself (because my leg doesn't reach my head anymore and I'm definitely not going to ask for volunteers here. Bob I.

Well, I DO hope that you're right, because we both guessed Andaman Padauk ;)

I have been chewing on another possible answer but am going to stick to AP, even though it doesn't seem to fit in with Dave's first hint (one of the previous answers was "close but no cigar")

Arrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Gary

bobskio2003

I agree with you. I feel I'm in the right church but possibly wrong pew. Oh well only one more day and we should have an answer (and we'll both possibly say "I knew I should have said that"). But Dave's been eeriely quiet lately so maybe someone does have it right. Bob

GaryMadore

I agree with you. I feel I'm in the right church but possibly wrong pew. Oh well only one more day and we should have an answer (and we'll both possibly say "I knew I should have said that"). But Dave's been eeriely quiet lately so maybe someone does have it right. Bob

Yeah.... So, WHEN do we find out and this end the agony? :p

Cheers!

Gary

Skye

Bur Oak:

Kingdom: Plantae

Division: Magnoliophyta

Class: Magnoliopsida

Order: Fagales

Family: Fagaceae

Genus: Quercus

Section: Quercus

Species: Q. macrocarpa

Binomial name : Quercus macrocarpa

Last edited:

simomatra

OK I wil give it a stab

Red Narra

Pterocarpus indicus

Narra

Family: Leguminosae

Other Common Names: Angsana (Sabah), Sena (Malaya), Amboyna (a name for highly figured veneers cut from burls).

Distribution: Philippines, Borneo, Burma, New Guinea, and the Malay Archipelago. Often planted for shade along roadsides and as an ornamental.

The Tree: May reach a height of 100 ft or more, usually of poor form with a large crown; trunk diameters up to about 3 ft above high wide, spreading buttresses.

The Wood:

General Characteristics: Heartwood light yellow, golden brown, reddish brown, to a distinct red; sapwood whitish or pale straw, clearly defined. Texture moderately fine to moderately coarse and uneven due to the ring-porous structure; grain interlocked and sometimes wavy, together with dark growth bands produce an attractive figure; somewhat lustrous; has a fragrant odor which persists even when dry.

Also known as Narra beeswing

Red Narra (figured)
(pterocarpus indicus)
Red Narra is the same tree from which Amboyna burl comes. It grows in Southeast Asia in such countries as Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, and Burma. The picture above is of curl or "beeswing" figure in the heartwood. At the bottom of the page, Amboyna part burl is listed, since they are different parts of the same tree. Color of either can vary from reddish tan like the above photo to an orangey deep red in some instances. The figure in the beeswing is quite chatoyant and really catches the light. Note: Chatoyant means that the appearance changes when the piece is held at different angles to the light . We need moving pictures to really show you what it looks like! Note: the vast majority (at least 70%) of each gg piece will have very nice figure. There may be some areas with less/none or different figure, which is the nature of this type of wood.

Attachments

• rednarralarge.jpg
    rednarralarge.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

mitchm

My stab at this: Big-leaf Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla)

Phylum: Tracheophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Sapindales
Family: Meliaceae
Genus: Swietenia

Also known as Honduras Mahogany. Belize uses this tree on its National Seal and Belize was known as British Honduras prior to independance. It is also the National Tree of the Dominican Republic. Found scattered from southern Mexico through Central America and south to Brazil and Bolivia. Good stands still persist in Bolivia and Brazi but protected by CITES.

Russianwolf

okay my first guess.

Burma Padauk (Pterocarpus Macrocarpus)
Family: Fabaceae
Subfamily: Faboideae
Tribe: Dalbergieae
Genus: Pterocarpus
Species: P. macrocarpus

Named as such as it has Larger Fruit (Macro Carpus) than the similar Pterocarpus Indicus.

simomatra

Figured Sapele
BOTANICAL NAME: Entandrophragma cylindricum
Family Meliaceae, the mahogany family.

Kingdom: Plantae
(unranked): Angiosperms
(unranked): Eudicots
(unranked): Rosids
Order: Sapindales
Family: Meliaceae
Genus: Entandrophragm

Another stab

Rarest wood

Here is the answers for the WOOD ID QUIZ the winner was picked using a random number gererator online out of the correct answers

Random Integer Generator

Here is your random number:1
Timestamp: 2009-02-15 08:49:56 UTC

so Correct answer number one was picked Congratulations Philbaldwin
a special mention goes out to Gary and Bob for being vexed and skye for boldness.

Andaman Padauk is Pterocarpus Dalbergioides. The additional information I was alluding to was that the species name is from Dalbergia the rosewood Genus so This padauk is very near botanicaly to the rosewood family but not quite in it, Close but no cigar so to speak hence P.dalbergioides. It is the state tree of the Andaman Isles, India. Also you could have found the reference in the E-book link someone posted on IAP here it is
http://www.archive.org/stream/manual...45mbp_djvu.txt
well worth downloading a copy for reference.

you can use the find function by pressing CTRL+F to troll through the document once its opened

There will be a new ID CONTEST POSTED TODAY be vexed very vexed:confused:

A big thank you to my wife who held the poster with the answer and all who took part.

Attachments

• winner.jpg
    winner.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 128

philb

Wow, first thing Ive won in the Bash!

State tree was the killer clue, and that I had a huge chuck of African Padauk sat next too me and it looked very similar!
Thanks for running the quiz!!

PHIL

bobskio2003

Well at least I was right (on the second try). For me the biggest clue was the Lost reference (even though I've never watched it). To me this meant it was an island. I could find any reference to the red and yellow phase so that was my only doubt. Well, congrats Phil. It was a good fight and I look forward to this weeks challenge. Bob I.

S

spiritwoodturner

Marc, I was convinced we were right on this one! Oh well, back to the magic crystal ball. Way to go, Phil.

Dale

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Congratulations to our winners so far:

Week One - Gary Madore
Week Two - PhilBaldwin

Will you two PM me your mailing address and I will get your prizes in the mail.

Cav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom