Blank ID Contest Week 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
OK, let's see if I can get the hint and photo correct this time! :redface: You might want to hold your guesses until Dave Lee (Rarestwood) gives the thumbs up that I have these posted correctly!

As before, the contest will remain open until Saturday, when Dave will announce the winner. Good Luck!!! Dave told me that I have it right, so guess away!!

The clue is as follows:

This timber is relatively rare nowadays it is only occasional found in commerce. It is a high quality cabinet timber and has been used for turning cabinet work and veneers. The timber is fine quality, decorative and resistant to termites. (never give a termite a pen) It sometimes has ripples and bees wing figure around 70% of shipments show a red phase in the timber and the other 30% or so have a yellow phase, just occasionally you will find a mottled and variegated boards in a shipment but these are extremely rare, this piece is from just such a board. It has many trade and local names. what I require is that you to seek out is its correct botanical name, and also its Family, sub family, tribe, genus and species if you work out the timber you can work backwards on the botanical taxonomy also I want you to explain why it was named in the particular way the clue is in its species name. The winner will win a couple of blanks from the board.

Attachments

• image 3.jpg
    image 3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
S

spiritwoodturner

Brazilian Cherry, AKA Jatoba

Botanical name:Hymenaea courbaril

family:Fabaceae

sub-family:Caesalpinioideae

tribe:Detarieae

genus:Hymenaea

Species: H. courbaril L.

cherry="red phase" (Not exactly sure what you're looking for here-Jatoba does have an edible fruit like a "cherry" but it's not related in any way to a cherry)

Dale

Last edited by a moderator:

tim self

Bloodwood

Botanical: Pterocarpus Angloensis

Family: Fabaceae

Sub-Family: Faboideae

Tribe: Dalbergeiae

Genus: Pterocarpus

Species: No species priority site assigned.

I think

Last edited:

Lulanrt

Chechem, AKA Black poisonwood or Poisontree
Kingdom: Plantae
(unranked): Angiosperms
(unranked): Eudicots
(unranked): Rosids
Order: Sapindales
Family: Anacardiaceae
Genus: Metopium
Species: M. brownei
Che-Chem is the Mayan name for black poisonwood
Travis

Last edited:

marcruby

It probably is something dull like bloodwood, but there is something about the sample that reminds me of another wood which I do know comes in both a light (yellowish) and dark (reddish) state. I'm not convinced that I'm right but I thought I'd throw it in to create some room for disagreement.

Pyingado (or Pyinkado) [I think it may also be called Burmese Ironwood]
Subfamily: Mimosoideae
Tribe: Mimoseae
Genus: Xylia
Species: Xylocarpa (woody fruit) I also found it referred to as dolabriformis (axe shaped).

Marc (Who will probably perish of embarrassment for this guess)

Rarest wood

there may well be a hint in the casuel conversation department some brightly shining spark has posted a link to the Book text the blank was resting on.
I am allowed to mention that of all the answers so far one is, "Close but no cigar!:confused:

bobskio2003

Well since everyone is all over the board I guess I'll guess now (so I don't forget to do it later).
I'm thinking it is Narra or Pterocarpus indicus (although it could be microcarpus as well)

Family - Fabaceae
Sub Family - Faboideae
Tribe - Dalbergieae
Genus - Pterocarpus
Speicies - Pterocarpus indicus

Now for the next part I'm not sure if I got what Dave is looking for so I'll say a couple of things and hope one is right.

Pterocarpus = winged fruit -which refers to the unique shaped seed pods
The burl of narra is of course Amboyna - which come from the fact that many of the burls come from Ambon (which is an island in Indonesia)

sparhawk

Im with Bob Narra-pterocarpus indicus-family fabaceae sub-faboideae tribe-dalbergieae genus-pterocarpus species -p. indicus Ptero-carpus means winged fruit Pale yellow to a deep blood red. Termite resistant and rose scented. The flowers are used as a honey source. In the Phillipines the heartwood is used to make dye.

marcruby

The only thing I have against it being Narra is that pterocarpus indica means winged fruit tree from India. And that's seriously boring. I mean it's the Phillipine national tree and all they can manage is 'from India'?

>:p

Marc

Skye

JARRAH!

Eucalyptus marginata

(unranked): Angiosperms
(unranked): Eudicots
(unranked): Rosids
Order: Myrtales
Family: Myrtaceae
Genus: Eucalyptus
Species: E. marginata

"The tree and the wood are usually referred to by the Aboriginal name Jarrah. Because of the similar appearance of worked jarrah timber to the Honduras mahogany tree, jarrah was once called Swan River mahogany after the river system that runs through Perth."

Rarest wood

er no i didnt mean Australia skye I just meant some one was getting closer but if you need another clue..............ok its the state tree of some state somewhere which state? though? if you get the state youlle get the timber pretty much as there connected in its most commonly used name. no more clues for a while:cool:

S

spiritwoodturner

Brazil Wood (Pau Brasil) AKA Pernambuco (named after the State it grows in in Brazil)

Division: Magnoliophyta

Class: Magnoliopsida

Order: Fabales

Subfamily: Caesalpinioideae

Genus: Caesalpinia

Species: C. echinata

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think the connection Cav is looking for is echinata has something to do with bees, although I haven't the foggiest idea what.

Dale

marcruby

I don't believe I just watched the trailer for Finding Nemo...

It's not Magnolia - I've got some of that
or Eastern Hemlock

and I guess it can't be narra or bald cypress -- "This timber is relatively rare nowadays it is only occasional found in commerce."

Last edited:

philb

Andaman Padauk

Subfamily: Faboideae
Tribe: Dalbergieae
Species: Pterocarpus dalbergioides

it was this or one other, im taking the gamble on this!

marcruby

There's yet another possibility that looks just like your sample:

Species: Pterocarpus soyauxi

AKA Barwood, West Africa Padauk, African Coralwood, Kisese, Mbel, Mukula, N'gula, and Tacula.

The species name comes from the ancient Roman lumberman's song "If you knew Soyauxii like I know Soyauxii. Oh, oh, oh what a (ahem)..."

[Don't believe I put all that effort into a silly tag line..."]

1080Wayne

Logwood , Bois campeche , Palo Campeche , Palo de tinta . Fabaceae - Caeselpinioideae - Caesalpinieae - Haematoxylum - Haematoxylum Campeche . Named for the area near Campeche in the Yucatan peninsula of Belize where the British logged the tree for the red dye it produced , ultimately leading to the formation of British Honduras as a country . Their flag features two loggers . Haema = blood = red ( except for us blue-blooded pen turners , of course ) .

Pen Maker

ewww, look at all these spiffy Latin words, no wonder we feel edgy-ma-cated when we surf here. :eek:)

bobskio2003

Okay, since I've already been told that I'm wrong (ooh the pain) I'll try again. How about Andaman Padauk or Pterocarpus dalbergiodes?

Family - Fabaceae
Sub Family - Faboideae
Tribe - Dalbergieae
Genus - Pterocarpus
Speicies - Pterocarpus dalbergioides

If this isn't it then I truly am lost.

Seer

NArra (Red Narra)

Red Narra (figured)
Also known as Burmese Rosewood
<TABLE style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; MARGIN: 0px auto; TEXT-ALIGN: left" cellPadding=2> <TBODY> <TR vAlign=top> <TD>Family:</TD> <TD>Fabaceae</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; MARGIN: 0px auto; TEXT-ALIGN: left" cellPadding=2> <TBODY> <TR vAlign=top> <TD>Subfamily:</TD> <TD>Faboideae</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; MARGIN: 0px auto; TEXT-ALIGN: left" cellPadding=2> <TBODY> <TR vAlign=top> <TD>Tribe:</TD> <TD>Dalbergieae</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; MARGIN: 0px auto; TEXT-ALIGN: left" cellPadding=2> <TBODY> <TR vAlign=top> <TD>Genus:</TD> <TD>Pterocarpus</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; MARGIN: 0px auto; TEXT-ALIGN: left" cellPadding=2> <TBODY> <TR vAlign=top> <TD>Species:</TD> <TD noWrap>P. indicus</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>(pterocarpus indicus)

NARRA. Pterocarpus indicus Willd., syn. P. pallidus Blanco.
Narra - Pterocarpus vidalianus Rolfe

The Angsana (Pterocarpus indicus), also known as Burmese Rosewood, is a tree. Its fruits have wing-like structures which facilitate dispersal of its seeds by wind.<!--google_ad_section_end--><!-- google_ad_region_end=first_para --> Scientific classification or biological classification is how biologists group and categorize extinct and living species of organisms. ... Divisions Land plants (embryophytes) Non-vascular plants (bryophytes) Hepatophyta - liverworts Anthocerophyta - hornworts Bryophyta - mosses Vascular plants (tracheophytes) Lycopodiophyta - clubmosses Equisetophyta - horsetails Pteridophyta - true ferns Psilotophyta - whisk ferns Ophioglossophyta - adderstongues Seed plants (spermatophytes) †Pteridospermatophyta - seed ferns Pinophyta - conifers Cycadophyta - cycads Ginkgophyta - ginkgo Gnetophyta - gnetae Magnoliophyta - flowering plants Adiantum pedatum (a fern... Classes Magnoliopsida - Dicots Liliopsida - Monocots The flowering plants (also angiosperms or Magnoliophyta) are one of the major groups of modern plants, comprising those that produce seeds in specialized reproductive organs called flowers, where the ovulary or carpel is enclosed. ... Orders see text Dicotyledons or dicots are flowering plants whose seed contains two embryonic leaves or cotyledons. ... Families Fabaceae (legumes) Quillajaceae Polygalaceae (milkwort family) Surianaceae The Fabales are an order of flowering plants, included in the rosid group of dicotyledons. ... Subfamilies Faboideae Caesalpinioideae Mimosoideae References GRIN-CA 2002-09-01 The Family Fabaceae (also as Family Leguminosae) is a grouping of plants in the Order Fabales, and one of the largest families of flowering plants with 650 genera and over 18,000 species. ... Genera See text The Subfamily Faboideae is in the flowering plant family, Fabaceae. ... Species Including: Pterocarpus dalbergioides (Andaman Padouk) Pterocarpus indicus (Narra) Pterocarpusangolensis (Muninga) Pterocarpus macrocarpus (Burmese rosewood) Pterocarpus soyauxii (African Padouk) Pterocarpus satalinus (Red Sandelwood) Padauk (or padouk) is an Indonesian collective name for a group of fragrant timbers and trees from the genus Pterocarpus, found in the tropics of Southeast Asia... In biology, binomial nomenclature is a standard convention used for naming species. ... The coniferous Coast Redwood, the tallest tree species on earth A tree can be defined as a large, perennial, woody plant. ... Fruit stall in Barcelona, Spain. ... Biological dispersal refers to those processes by which a species maintains or expands the distribution of a population. ... A seed is the ripened ovule of gymnosperm or angiosperm plants. ... Wind is the quasi-horizontal movement of air (as opposed to an air current) caused by a horizontal pressure gradient force. ...

It is known as Narra in the Philippines, Sonokembang in Indonesia, Angsana or Sena in Malaysia and Singapore, and Pradu in Thailand.
<!-- Saved in parser cache with key enwiki:pcache:idhash:1616901-0!1!0!0!!en!2 and timestamp 20050824023650 --> Categories: Faboideae | Trees | Plant stubs
Probably too much info sorry

<!-- end content -->
Seer

Last edited:

GaryMadore

Andaman Padauk

It was so named because Burmese convicts who went to the Andamans saw the tree were reminded of the Padauk back home.

Division: Magnoliophyta

Class: Magnoliopsida

Subclass: Rosidae

(unranked): Eurosids I

Order: Fabales

Species: Pterocarpus Dalbergioides

marcruby

Echinata means 'toothed.' Pau Brazil has a prickly trunk. [I'm expanding on someone else's guess, having used up my own allotment of stabs in the dark].

Marc

Rarest wood

marc if you want one more stab be my guest only one more mind so think about it carefully
.........do you cut the red wire or the .....green wire......meanwhile the clock is ticking ...and beads of sweat appear on his forhead.......the girl at his right side tied to the chair is looking nerviously nay pleadingly at him.......little does she know that he is colour blind ..............finaly he makes his choice and cuts....:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom