** NEWBIE PEN CONTEST **

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Started pen turning last November as I wanted some unique Christmas gifts. I am not addicted but do love giving way pens and the WOW factor.

The first trio is pen and pencil of splatted maple, a cigar in cocobolo and my first acyclic which was the practice pen to the one on the bottom.

IMG_5102a (600 x 489).jpg

This is my favorite pen as it made for a tennis friend who is a cancer survivor. :redface:

IMG_5066a (646 x 206).jpg

PenAffair

OK well, so many mediocre pens to chose from, I don't know what to put second.

But since time's running out, here's another for you to look at. It's a Sterling Silver Sedona with Corrugata.

Russell.

Attachments

• Corrugata-SS-Sedona-450Dv2.jpg
    Corrugata-SS-Sedona-450Dv2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 232

Smokey7385

Well, Since I have only had my Lathe since October, I guess I qualify. I have done about 20 pens and am still learning new things every time I step up to the lathe. These pens I did over the weekend as gifts for co-workers.

Pen 1 and 2 are Black Titanium El Grande's. 1 is a Purple Rain blank and 2 is a dark gray Invasavue. Pen 3 is a Teacher's Pen with the main body out of ash and the clip is a bat.

If there is a problem with the company logo's, let me know and I will pixelate them for the site.

Please be kind with your criticism...

Standing by for heavy rolls.

Dave

Dave, I don't know about the rolls, but your work rocks.

davinci27

I fought with myself over what I would enter as my 3rd entry

I here you. I've got a cool one in the works, but don't know if I'm going to have time to finish it before the end of the month. I've been looking through my old SOYP posts to try to decide which one will be my fall back if I don't get the one I'm working on finished.

furini

Hi all

here's two entries from me - might make a third one before the deadline.

First is a segmented Americana rollerball in purpleheart, ash, mahogany and jarrah:

SegmentedAmericana.jpg

The second is my first modified slimline in yew and purpleheart

DSC_0021-1.jpg

Cheers

Stewart

MorganGrafixx

Okay...I guess I'll jump in too. I got my lathe for Christmas in 2008 and turned my first pen on Dec. 27th. So that puts me at 7 weeks/2 days of turning.
This one was my first non-slimline. I posted it a couple weeks ago in the SOYP forum.
buckeyemapleburl_cigar.jpg

I have 2 more I want to enter...but I'll have to get photos of them. I'll post them up within the next day or two.

MorganGrafixx

Entry # 2. My most recent pen. I made this Monday night. It is a Gold Wall Street 2 made with deer antler. There are two images--one showing the clip side and the other with the pen turned around to the other side.

antler_wallst2_1.jpg
antler_wallst2_2.jpg

MorganGrafixx

Third and final entry. This one is about a week old. It is the first Classic American I have made. Black Titanium and Red Aromatic Cedar with a CA finish.

classamer_cedar_1.jpg

me2cyclops

second entry
tranny from sierra.
stainless nib and finial

Attachments

• profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 184
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 166

me2cyclops

and my third and final
kitless slim
hand carved aluminum acid etched finish

Attachments

• carved1.jpg
    carved1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 193
  • carved2.jpg
    carved2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 184

PenAffair

OK well no idea what to put in for my third, so this is a bit of a random grab.

Was one of my first casts, and before I knew how to take proper pictures. So I present to you, the Peppercorn & Split Peas pen.

Russell.

Attachments

• CastPeppercorns.jpg
    CastPeppercorns.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 193

DurocShark

Some astonishingly good pens here. I've been doing it for more than the time limit and still haven't come close to some of these in quality and workmanship.

As for Russell's mug in the finial... At least he wasn't nekkid like that guy on eBay.

timberview4

Newbie Contest - 1st entry

Hi everyone:
Some really great entries so far. I've been turning pens for a few months now. Have made about 25 pens since getting my midi lathe back in October.

This one is a Satin Pearl Euro kit and acrylic Abalone blank from my local WC. Getting better with the skew. Wet sanded, wet MM to 12000, finished with Mothers Plastic Polish. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• EuroWCABSP1.jpg
    EuroWCABSP1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 169
  • EuroWCABSP2.jpg
    EuroWCABSP2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 170
  • EuroWCABSP3.jpg
    EuroWCABSP3.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 170

MikeMcM1956

Here Goes Nothing....

Got my lathe in October, local guy was selling a brand new Shop Fox Mini with a set of Wilton 'midget' tools for $100. At the time, I had no idea how expensive a $100 lathe could be :eek:. As I slide down the slippery slope, buying blanks and kits, I know I am not alone :).

The pens posted so far are extremely nice, mine are a little more traditional and pedestrian at this point. The first is an Gold American in Bocote.
ClassicAmericaninBocote1.jpg

The second one is a Gold Cigar with a Snakewood blank my son gave me for Christmas, gotta love that boy :biggrin:.
011.jpg

The third is one I made for my loving bride on Valentine's Day :tongue:. Satin Nickel European with a Red Swirl blank.
008.jpg

Mike

HawksFeather

First off, thanks for starting this post. I think there are many more than have posted so far that are in the same classification as myself – "Newbie" afraid to run with the "Big Dogs."

Since "newbies" and are encouraged to post, I think I will share two pens that I just completed – numbers 7 and 8. I made my first pen on December 27th (after getting replies to a post that I made here about a kit that would allow me to use the 207 refill) and have really been enjoying making them. While I don't post much on IAP, I have learned a great deal from reading other's posts. There really is a wealth of information on this site.

Pens.jpg

Sierra Click Pens – Platinum with Blackwood barrel
& Black Titanium with a laminated Amboyna and Blackwood barrel

While this is a competition, I would ask that I be excluded from any awards. While I am a newbie to pens, I have been turning calls for several years and don't really consider myself a lathe newbie. Not that I am all that good, but I am getting better with practice.

Thanks again,

Jerry

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Oh what the heck...only one day left to embarass myself! But it's all cool...because I'm learning! Mostly what NOT to do! And then how to FIX it! :rolleyes:

Are you sure some of you guys are Newbies??? Dang, those are some nice pens! :eek:

Anyway, I posted these in SOYP last week...the pen is my #6 so far since Jan 3. The pen/pencil set are Platinum Sierras included as part of the winner's trophy for a recent Schutzhund championship that I did 17 trophies for.

The spalted hackberry blanks were cut from the same piece as the base of the trophy. I added a piece of Black Walnut Burl to the pen for contrast and then used brass key shavings to fill some cracks on the pen. Apparently Captain Murphy then wnt home because the pencil turned out great and was a real pleasure to make!

Both are finished with CA...

Thanks for looking!

Lee aka KiltedGunn

Attachments

• 09 SCR Champ Trophy & Pen Set 1.jpg
    09 SCR Champ Trophy & Pen Set 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 176
  • 09 SCR Champ Trophy & Pen Set 3.jpg
    09 SCR Champ Trophy & Pen Set 3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 178

davinci27

Well I'm not going to be able to finish the last pen I was working on for this competition, so I'll have to enter one of my past pens. Here is a 3 color multiple stepped barrels. This kit came from gary peck and the pieces don't actually press into tubes. Instead each end has a tenon about 1mm deep and 2mm wide. The tenons actually fit inside the kit pieces.
The wood is ebony, padauk, and ribbed fruit malle burl. The finish is thin CA.

attachment.jpg

gp2.jpg

Last edited:

timberview4

Newbie contest - 2nd entry

Thought I'd post one more for the newbie contest. This is my first Jr Gent II with big leaf maple. CA/BLO finish (still learning). Not only am I new to this whole pen thing, but I have a lot to learn about taking photos too!!
I am absolutely amazed and intrigued with the segmenting and knots on other pens posted in the IAP. Something to strive for and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• JrGentBLMGLD1.jpg
    JrGentBLMGLD1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 155
  • JrGentBLMGLD2.JPG
    JrGentBLMGLD2.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 149

TurnCrazy

Time's running out so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm still trying to figure out this whole photo posting thing but here it its. I purchased my lathe October 23, 2008 to make something completely different but the guy I got it from threw in a couple pen kits and I got hooked. Countless $$$ later these are three of my favorite pens. The first being an ambonya burl Broadwall Nouveau Sceptre in black titanium and 22k gold (made early December), the middle is the infamous circuit board (made yesterday), and my most unique pen turned is a designer with bocote (made mid November). Its amazing what you find in wood sometimes. The 100% NATURAL figure in the top reminds me of a dog but most people I show it to think its a monkey.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• newbiepen_turncrazy.jpg
    newbiepen_turncrazy.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Monkeydogface.jpg
    Monkeydogface.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 146

garypeck

All righty than....here's my entry.... Started pen turning in November..... have been using a Drill Press (vertilathe) till recently where i have been going over to the workshop to borrow the use of a proper lathe.........

These were done on a lathe..... not drill press.....

I know photography leaves a lot to be desired..... hahaha

Last edited:

woody350ep

bummer, I was gonna enter in in the morning. I guess I didn't read somewhere that it went to the 27th, and thought I had till tomorrow. Oh well, good luck anyhow I guess. Although, I certainly would have won lol

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
UUUUUHHHHHHHHH, The results WERE posted ---- YOU WON!!! Second place, but a WINNER!

But, you didn't email me, so you were eliminated! (yes, this is sick humor, but please email your address to me so we can get your prize out to you)!!!

Since you are not familiar with the site, I will find the thread for you and post it here in a few minutes, so you can READ ALL ABOUT YOU!@!!!

Trust me, that's always fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom