** NEWBIE PEN CONTEST **

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Ok folks, are you new? Afraid to enter a contest because you think your not good enough? Well this is the contest for you!

The rules are simple, if you have been making pens for less than six months, you can enter here. This is a free for all and will not be judged based on the chosen kit. So grab the 80-grit skew, friction polish and show us what you have got! :biggrin:

Seriously though, if there is ANY comments, from those new or old, cutting up an entry, you will be beaten with a wet noodle and then made to cast it into a pen blank. :wink:

The contest will run the whole month and entries must be posted here. If you post a pen and do not have an e-mail in your profile, you may not receive a prize if you win. So check your profile and let's get at it!

Entries will be judged by a hand selected crew and results will be posted on February 28th. The contest itself will end on the 27th. :party:

davinci27

So do we just post photos to this thread or do we need to send them to somebody's email address? Can it be a pen we've posted online before? Is there a minimum number of pictures or minimum size for the photos?

Lenny

Turned my first four this weekend so I guess I qualify. =0 )

(at being a newbie that is )

Hey, it's nice to qualify for sumthin' =0)

Lenny

Firefyter-emt

Yes, please post the photos here in this post. Try to keep them to a reasonable size and number too. I will let the members work on the honor system here, this contest is for newbie turners. If you have been turning bowls and all sort of fancy things and make a living doing so, but just picked up making pens.... well you can enter, but if your skills blow everything out of the water.... I think it's a bit unfair to enter, but that's just me. Just be honest, and keep it simple.

Oh an yes, it can be your first pen, or your latest creation.

davinci27

If you have been turning bowls and all sort of fancy things and make a living doing so, but just picked up making pens.... well you can enter, but if your skills blow everything out of the water.... I think it's a bit unfair to enter, but that's just me. Just be honest, and keep it simple.

It might be helpful/fun if each entry also includes how long you've been turning. You never really get to compare where people are in their progression/growth. Usually folks tell you when its their first pen, but after that you don't really know how long each person has been turning.

Oh an yes, it can be your first pen, or your latest creation.

Just to clarify, it can be a pen we've already posted in SOYP? I'm working on a couple of pens just for this competition, but I never know if the blanks gonna blow before I finish. I might have to fall back to pens I've already done.

me2cyclops

first pen kits ordered 9/13/08....
but as a construction worker I've probably had more time to pratice in the last couple months than some of the "oldtimers"
I'll post a couple anyway

Lenny

Well I just got my pen turning kit last week. Here are two from my first weekend.

Putumuju (aka Canarywood): on top
Bubinga : on bottom

Pretty basic, but I tried to add a liitle something different than just turn down to the bushings.
1_pens-3-and-4.jpg

Lenny

Last edited:

Firefyter-emt

Just to clarify, it can be a pen we've already posted in SOYP? I'm working on a couple of pens just for this competition, but I never know if the blanks gonna blow before I finish. I might have to fall back to pens I've already done.

Yes, any pen you made is fair game. :wink:

PS... Lenny, is there a chance you can re-size that photo a little? It's a little on the "hefty" side.

jkeithrussell

Second Best: Burnt Orange Polyester Resin / Sierra Click

1_Longhorn_Sierra_Click.jpg

Third Best: Worthless Wood Mescalbean Sierra

1_Worthless_Wood_Sierra.jpg

Thanks for letting me play.

Last edited:

Stango

4th pen (so far!)

Just started a couple of days ago. It is great fun and almost as hard to photograph as it is to make the pen ! Hope this works.

1_IMG_0270__2_.jpg

Scott

Wow! What a nice bunch of entries to start this contest off!

Lenny - That is one of the nicest pairs of slimlines I think have been shown here as first pens! Nice job!

Keith - That's what I'd call a triple-play! Super nice work! You've come a long way fast!

Jim - I really like the nice symmetrical shape you got on this pen! Good job!

Let's see some more entries! This is fun!

Scott.

Daniel

Mike, if it is six months of real time I think I might still qualify. only been turning when I can for over 7 years.

Pen Maker

My Very First Pen

I'm still a newbie, here is one of my very first ones. I skipped over the slimlines cause these were easier to do. Enjoy.

DSC031.jpg

Last edited:

Crashmph

Macassar Ebony and Maple with Black Titanium Euro kit

I just had to look it up to make sure I qualify... My lathe was ordered on September 30th, 2008. I made this Macassar Ebony and Maple with Black Titanium Euro kit a few months ago. I managed to sell it for $85 just before Christmas. The picture is three pictures of different angles of the pen and I used Fireworks to merge the separate photos together. I will post two more over the next few days... or weeks...

Euro%20Twist%20Shiny%20Black%20Titanium%20Macassar%20Ebony%20and%20Maple%20swirled.jpg

Here is a computer image of what the blank looked like before I turned it. I know it looks funky, but it is the best I can do on short notice...

SegmentedPenBlank.jpg

Last edited:

Stango

Pen 6 - My first CA/BLO finish !! wooo hoooooo

This is my 6th pen. Padauk slimline in Platinum (Rhodium) finish and my very first CA/BLO finish !! Not as hard as it seems ! Even I can do it !

1_IMG_0275__2_.jpg

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Got my first mandrel on dec 15, turned my first pen on dec 16. ended up making 7 bows for my daughters teachers & pastors (private Christian school) that she took to school on their last day on Dec 19..

1_mypen.jpg

Bow on black chrome.. My daily writer :biggrin:

1_bowplat1.jpg

Slimline BOW Rhodium, wife kidnapped this one to mail to her Dad :biggrin:

1_cherryburl.jpg

Cherry Burl on Gun metal

Nothing super fancy, but still learning and having fun :D

Had a little helper for a few times in the shop when doing the bows.. one picture shows how "happy" she was at wearing the mask LOL

1_nothappy.jpg

NOT happy about wearing a mask :biggrin:
1_gettingreadyforca.jpg

Wiping down getting ready for CA

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
I just had to look it up to make sure I qualify... My lathe was ordered on September 30th, 2008. I made this Macassar Ebony and Maple with Black Titanium Euro kit a few months ago. I managed to sell it for $85 just before Christmas. The picture is three pictures of different angles of the pen and I used Fireworks to merge the separate photos together. I will post two more over the next few days... or weeks...

Holy cow, that is a beautiful segmented pen! Very nicely done!

(as for your sig... I agree with that one 100%)

Crashmph

Holy cow, that is a beautiful segmented pen! Very nicely done!

(as for your sig... I agree with that one 100%)

Thanks much... The lady in my office who bought that one from me has talked it up so much. I have sold at least a dozen more pens be cause of her getting that pen from me. Everyone loves it and everyone wants one too!

Cha-Ching$$$$ It is working out for me so far.

David M

SDC12481-1.jpg

Pen was made for my brother , his antler . Top part of shell casing was from my Dads furneral , couldnt use bottom near nib it was crimped closed . Dad passed November 3 08. Hard post ..................

Last edited:

David M

SDC12506-1.jpg
SDC12505-1.jpg

Okay thats my second one . Been turning form end of Aug. 08 . didnt start on pens till mid Sept. . First thing was getting tools , thought thay came with a lathe . Small , mini bats , glued some boards together foe small bowls ( change dish ) . Then i got hoohed on pens...

Last edited:
Top Bottom