Private e-mails

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is it possible to have a record or copies of private e-mails included in our profiles?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm not following the question, Eagle. Do you want to list your email address in your profile? Or do you want to store emails?

G

Sorry for not being clear.
When I send an e-mail through the forum,there is no record of it.
It doesn't show up on my sent messages in OE.
The way it's set up now I have no way of knowing if the recipient received the one I sent or what was the actual message I sent or to whom it was sent.
There are a couple of sites I go to that have a record of private messages I have sent and a notification that the message was received.

C_Ludwigsen

Jeff, can we modify the Send Email program to where the sender's email address is in the CC line. That way, the sender will get a verification copy that the email sent successfully from the IAP server.

In some cases, Eagle, that won't guarantee they got it. Some of the recent anti-spam software detects that the email addressed from you really fifn't come from your service provider, so it blocks it.

Jeff, if you need help on this or help testing, let me know.

Chuck

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't show up in your OE outbox because you are not using OE to send email through the forum. The server sends the email, not your email client. The purpose of the forum email is to allow members to contact each other without exposing the underlying email address of the recipient. Once contact is made, using individual email clients (OE, Eudora, Thunderbird, whatever...) is recommended. When you use the forum email, the recipient gets your email address, and when they respond with their email client, you get theirs. This is purely a privacy issue, nobody's email address is exposed unless they take the action to send someone an email through the forum.

We don't store email messages because the primary purpose of the forum is not the delivery of email. There is no receipt because that's pointless on the Internet today. Most mail servers do not honor delivery receipt requests, and read receipts are generated by the recipient's email client, and most people decline those.

Now, private messages (PMs) are an entirely different story. Those are not email, but private communications between members. With PMs, you do get a record of messages, proof of delivery, etc. Those are coming to this forum soon.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by C_Ludwigsen
<br />Jeff, can we modify the Send Email program to where the sender's email address is in the CC line. That way, the sender will get a verification copy that the email sent successfully from the IAP server.

In some cases, Eagle, that won't guarantee they got it. Some of the recent anti-spam software detects that the email addressed from you really fifn't come from your service provider, so it blocks it.

Jeff, if you need help on this or help testing, let me know.

Chuck
Chuck - That would work, but it would expose the recipient's email address to the sender, violating our policy of not exposing a members email address without their consent.

G

Thanks for the clarification Jeff and the news about the P.M.'s
I apo;ogize if I wrongly used the word E-mail for message or what have you.
I don't send many messages through the forum because of teh reasons you stated,i.e. responses normally include e-mail address.
I have on occaision sent messages through the forum and not received a respose.
Understandble, I am not loved by everyone.:&gt;)
I just thought it would be convenient to have a record of messages I sent if there was no answer or exaclty what was in the message I did send.
I did realize that the e-mail does not go through my OE program.
I also appreciate the reasons for "hidden" e-mail addresses.
Anonimity on the web is one reason I don't use forums like SMC that rquire the posting of names.
If I feel comfortable enough with people I "converse" with, they get my real name and can figure out anyhting from there.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />I have on occaision sent messages through the forum and not received a respose.
Understandble, I am not loved by everyone.:&gt;)
One reason you might not get a response is that people fail to update their forum email address when it changes. About a dozen emails a day bounce because of a bad address, full mailbox, or other issues.

woodpens

As one who receives well over 3,000 spam email a day, I can say we do not want emails posted anywhere on the internet. I have to do it for my website, and boy do I pay a price for it.

Scott

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />As one who receives well over 3,000 spam email a day, I can say we do not want emails posted anywhere on the internet. I have to do it for my website, and boy do I pay a price for it.

Hi Jim,

So, is there a particular Spam program you use to help filter this out? I started using Mailwasher last fall (I get 300 to 400 spams a day), and it has helped a lot. Prior to that I used Norton Anti-Spam, and, well, lets just say that's why I switched to Mailwasher! ;-)

Scott.

woodpens

I started with Norton Internet Security. It slowed my computer down so much, I had to make a change. I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite now. It does a good job and is much quicker for me than Norton was. My ISP filters about half of them out, but also catches some emails that I want. I hate having to even scan that many messages every day.

G

I have been using the one that my ISP provides(Earthlink)
It works well.
There are occaisions where the sender has the hassle of providing a request but most times I recognize the name in the "suspect" folder and send it to the in box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom