pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was wonderng why it could be feasible to transfer pictures from the show off your pens forum to the albums.
I can understand why it wouldn't work from album to the forum because of size, but it would be convenient to post once and transfer if you chose to.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C_Ludwigsen

Eagle, I know that if you post it to your album first, you can post the URL for the photo in the forum message. Is that what you mean by only posting it once?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
At present, there are two separate databases. Not being a programmer, I have no idea what the effort would be in this type of endeavor. I do know, however, that Jeff has a lot on his plate. He has a backlog of a couple of months worth of improvements, additions and upgrades. We won't lose this suggestion, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

daledut

If you do as Chuck mentioned you can also place the URL between IMG and /IMG in brackets and it will display.
For example this is the URL copied from my photo album and pasted here using the IMG commands
Cocobolo-black-chrome-800.jpg

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Dale and Chuck point out an excellent method. The actual photo is in the album, and the post just references it. Guys, tell the good people how you did it. [:)] (The only trick is getting the URL to the photo, and that's not hard.)

C_Ludwigsen

A picture is worth a thousand words... Thanks for the example, Dale.

Eagle, if you right-click on the image and select 'Properties', you will get the URL you need to put between the IMG and /IMG tags... in Dale's case, it is 'http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/daledut/Cocobolo-black-chrome-800.jpg'

Randy_

There is one problem with that suggestion. People tend to put "BIG" photos in the gallery and if you then display them as images, they stretch out the thread and make it hard to read. You have to do a lot of left/right scrolling to view the pictures and read the text. If people would keep their pictures to about 650 pixels wide, it would not be a problem; but I think most people don't realize how the problem is created or how to avoid it.

Some boards have software that automatically limits picture sizes and others have rules that are voluntarily adhered to. Guess IAP isn't quite there yet??

G

Originally posted by Randy.
<br />There is one problem with that suggestion. People tend to put "BIG" photos in the gallery and if you then display them as images, they stretch out the thread and make it hard to read. You have to do a lot of left/right scrolling to view the pictures and read the text. If people would keep their pictures to about 650 pixels wide, it would not be a problem; but I think most people don't realize how the problem is created or how to avoid it.

Some boards have software that automatically limits picture sizes and others have rules that are voluntarily adhered to. Guess IAP isn't quite there yet??

If I understand your last remark those rules are already in effect.
For some reason you can post a picture up to 150 kbps( think that's it)in your album and 90 on a forum.
I'll give the other meatod a try.
Time to edit my album anyway.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Randy.
<br />Some boards have software that automatically limits picture sizes and others have rules that are voluntarily adhered to. Guess IAP isn't quite there yet??
Of course, I can automatically resize uploaded pictures and I wrote a script to iterate throught the entire album and resize photos. I hate to do that however, because while I can set some quality parameters and let the server do the job, it's not a substitute for the owner of the photo working with his own image software. So, we're certainly "there" in the ability to automatically resize, we're just trying to be nice.

We're at the point, though, where asking nicely does not work. I'll soon be adding resize-on-upload and I'll run through the albums and resize everything to 700px wide max.

G

Jeff does that mean I won't have to resize my pictures before they are accepted?
I'm getting the hang of resizing them but I still run into a snag every once in a while.
Thanks.

Gary

On many of the digital cameras, you can select the size of picture you want the camera to take. For example, I have mine set at 640x480 pixels. That way you don't have to do any resizing. It will also fit Jeff's criteria,

C_Ludwigsen

Interestingly enough, Gary, it is better to take a large picture (I take 1280x1024) and let PC software resize it. The software has voodoo algorithms that will maintain much of the quality while getting to the same result. Where I have taken the original image at 640x480, I have lost the quality from the start.

Just something to consider. I use a gallery software package for my website called - Gallery. I load a huge image into it and it creates both a thumbnail and a 600 pixel wide image automagically. I then post the 600 pixel image to my album here for others to see and post a link to the image in the forum.

Hope that is helpful.

Gary

Chuck, man I'm glad you posted that! I thought it was the other way around. I thought you lost resolution when you sized down at the PC. I have been unhappy with the quality of the shots I've been getting and wordering why I couldn't seem to fix it. I'll sure change that.

PenWorks

One of the down sides to using the high res, it really eats up the space on your memory stick. I use the the 640 x 480 for all my pics, and keep mem stick as a back up when full. I can ussually place 1500 photos on a 128M mem stick.

Anthony

PenWorks

Glad you like the pics Dale, I think most of them are out of focus. There is no spot metering thru the lens, so to me, they are acceptable for now.

But I take 90% of my photos in this set up,
http://www.misterart.com/store/view/003/group_id/3330/Testrite-Samigon-Internet-Photo-Studio.htm

Ed, had posted it, I found them new on Ebay for 150.00, it's not perfect, but works well for me, because is is portable and I can take it home, shove it under the table when not in use and have it set up in a minute. That , a real good tripod, my old Sony and patience. Anthony

Gary

Anthony, in your pictures the pen appears to be shot with the camera directly above the pen. How do you accomplish that with the above set up?

PenWorks

Gary, I don't use it like they show it. I have the botton light off. Top light is on and tilted back just for enough to allow my camera to get in. The camera is actually on a tripod with the head tilted between 45-90 degrees. That's what is nice about this, you can adjust the above light source around real easy.

PenWorks

Gary, this is my High Tech photo studio. The nicest thing here is the big red leather chair, great for a 15 minute power nap, because this photo stuff is pretty exhausting.

I bet RT could even fall asleep in that chair.

After I'm done, I throw it under the table and out of the way.

Anthony

200512816517_DSC01286.jpg

Gary

I'm looking forward to playing some with the camera this weekend. I picked up some good pointers at the photography class I attended last night. I found out for one thing about the white balance setting on my camera and that it was set wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom