New Section? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Site Help, Tips, How-To > Suggestion Box
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Suggestion Box Have a suggestion for the forum or Web site? Let us know here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 03:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Eaglesc, Why is it that everytime something does not go quite like you want it to and you have to get nasty, if anything sucks that does.

Wayne
wayneis is offline   Top
Old 10-12-2004, 03:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

First, I think this is a fantastic idea. A wood library is nice, but actually showing finished pens in different species is really great. It'll take a little programming to make a nice searchable database and front-end for it, but that's what I'm here for [:)] Let me think on it a while, then I'll see what I can whip up.

Second, I'm all for spirited debate, but let's disagree in a more respectful way.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:43 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos:

Wayne=
My apologies
It was written tongue in cheek.
I really don't care for PDF.
My original suggestion was for PICTURES of finished pens in different woods.
It just seemed that it started to get more complicated with every post.
I am a member of a lot of woodworking forums where people are shall we say a little more off the cuff. Not the same atmosphere as here but a lot more traffic.
Sorry I spoke my mind.
(BTW define "every time"
There's a lot of B.S. on these forums I read and decided it was lile bangin my head against the wall.
One instance was the finishing forum I made my views known and reasons,
If you go back to the thread you would see that the views on the original thread doubled after the post(now locked) about another forum.
Why do I speak out?
Because I didn't voice my views when the bylaws were being written.
Take a look at the qualifications part.
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

Hi Eagle,

You make a good point. Maybe all we need is a picture of a pen and the member's thought on turning that material. We had knocked around the idea of a wood description index months ago, and I thought the picture of a pen in that wood would fit nicely into that index. But a major index like that takes a lot of work, and is a complex undertaking. And you'll notice that even though we've talked about it a lot, nobody has started it yet!

So maybe just start with pictures of pens, and some comments on working with that wood. I just made a pen from some spalted mango yesterday - I could start! Or you could start with your most recent pen! This is something you can just DO, and it doesn't take a lot of planning.

As far as your "tone", I do wish you could tone it down some while here on this forum. We are trying to maintain a more civil atmosphere here. I know full well how things are on other forums "out there", but we choose not to go there. A person only needs to look at your photo gallery here to realize that you are serious about making pens, and that we can learn a lot from you. But a quiet, more civil approach will gain much more attention, at least positive attention anyway, than shouting.

Scott.
Scott is offline   Top
Old 10-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Hi Eagle. Sometimes I have a real hard time conveying what I am trying to say without sounding like I am bashing or offending someone. I started using the little smiley faces on the editing page as you are typing the message and it made it much easier to portray the thought behind the statement.

This works real good if you are saying something tongue in cheek. Funny sarcasm vs. negativity is one of those that is really hard to figure unless you put one of the smileys on there.[:)]

BTW- did you get that lignum vitae turned? Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Thats part of my point, YOU don't care for PDF so we should not do it that way. The finishing forum is just what I had in mind when I said every time. And if you look back all of the talk was mostly people saying that they would rather have the forum, even if they did not agree some went ahead and said they did because of how you flew off the handle like you did. Like several here have mentioned, many of us are here because it is NOT like the others. Usually we can discuss in respectfull way. I liked how your idea was evolving to what I thought was a good end product. I have always wanted a small card that would tell a little about the wood that the pen is made out of. I personally feel it makes a more professional package. At least when I go to the trouble and put in a note about the wood type and the refill information and put it all in a nice pen box my customers really appreciate it. I really think that is why I get the price I want and I'm not afraid to charge for my work. I don't make a pen for under thirty dollars, most are fifty and above. My specialty is probably the Jr. Gent and I get between seventy five and a hundred bucks no questions asked.I've even had a couple people tell me that I don't charge enough for my product.

I don't think that building a library would be that difficult. Many of us have our favorite places for info. If each of us that wants to would do the research for one or two woods and just write a little about that pen we make we would have a library in no time. Look at all the info that we have compilled about making them, I think we now have what, six hundred plus members? Oh well, what ever.

Wayne Swindlehurst
wayneis is offline   Top
Old 10-12-2004, 02:30 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Ah yes, remember the good old days when the only intonation you could get into a text message was using all caps when you wanted to SHOUT OUT LOUD.

However, on another note, if anyone wants to take the text descriptions that should accompany the nifty pic's in the new database and create their own pdf's, here is a _free_ pdf converter that works really well:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Thanks,
JohnPayton
penhead is offline   Top
Old 10-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 4

This board is more Adult. Other boards are full of hot-heads who use all upper case (shouting) and the foulest language.[xx(]

I'm glad we're better than that. We all have ideas... Some work [:I] some don't. [:(]
Old 10-12-2004, 03:20 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos:

Wayne look at the dates on the posts on the formuns and thread,
Those who stated they wanted a finishing forum posted after the fact.
You want to call me on the carpet for speaking out, get your facts straight.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Closed Thread