New Section?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Not sure if this would necessarily be a forum.
I was wonndering if it would be possible to post picures of finished pens under the different spieces they are turned from.
I realize that no single piece of wood is indicative of spieces ,but a picture of a finished pen would give a good idea of what a particular wood like like as a finished product.grain,color ect.
They style would not have to be important just the wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I, for one, would have a problem postng my pens as many of the woods I am given (or buy in grab bags, find, etc.) I can't identify. And with defective color vision (not to mention the wide variety of color in many woods) it's hard to learn them.

Not that the idea is without merit. I have a useful woods of the world book I use for putting a picture to woods people write about. Still to see them with a finish would be nice.

G

jwoodwright-
Whether it be wood or man made, you pays your nickel and thake your choice.
I received a blank from Bill at Arizona Silouhette.
I have have never bought any blnks from him but his reputation is unblemished.I would like to have an idea what the finished wood is rather than look at each individuals photo albums in the hopes that I might find a pen made from that wood.
It might be a "saver" for that special pen or it might be a use it up and order more. I'd like to see the blank turned to get an idea of what it will look like.
Corian is corian.I know that it will all look similar (speckles flecks ...)
The same goes with acrylics.Waves speckles... I can't see how an acrylic will turn but I can get a good idea what it will look like.
I just did a search for thuya burl.
I can see what it looks like as a blank or slab but then again I am holding it in my hand.
I would like to get an idea of what it looks like turned.It doesn't have to be only one pen in a species.
A maple burl dyed different colors for instance. I realize I won't be able to dye it exactly like what was posted but I could get an idea of color changes,just a thought and explanation.
And yes different acrylics cold certainly be included as long as the viewer realizes that they are not all the same.

I also realize that time and experience will help me to picture a given species but that is an expen$ive way to learn if there were another option.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'd love to see us accumulate a central repository for showing finished woods, etc. One small thing to keep in mind...there are well over 2,800 varieties of wood in the world. And that doesn't even begin to touch the legumes. [8D]

melogic

Like the assembly instructions we are creating, maybe we can come up with some type of wood identification category? I like the idea.

jwoodwright

OK, how about a photo of the wood blank, one of it after turning and one of it finished?
Then again, some blanks are cut differently, some on a bias (show more grain), some cut straight (max pieces), then you have finishing. So many different types, so many different results.[8D]

G

Just one will do though more forum members would be able to post how they finished theirs if they wanted.
No it would never be a total compendium but it would be a start.
Even if the turned pen was cut on a bias,a picture of that whould be more indicative than just a rectangular blank shown in 2 dimensions.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Scott,

If I can pull together a listing of woods, can you figure out how to set the site up so we can post pictures as members finish projects...maybe some sort of database that can be queried by name of wood?

Lou,
And a way for someone posting to add a new wood type.

I just made a cigar pen out of an Australian burl that I can't think of the name right now but, it is beautiful and I doubt it would be on any standar list of woods.

G

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Scott,

If I can pull together a listing of woods, can you figure out how to set the site up so we can post pictures as members finish projects...maybe some sort of database that can be queried by name of wood?
I am not a computer genius or any other kind of genius(I learn but mistake and experimentation)BUT
Why couldn't such a section be set up Like the present photo album.
Instead of the members name the pen/wood might be listed as the heading?
THere would be no need to make up any list.
For Example,If I uploaded a pen made from White birch,The picture would appear under "W" just like as now when a new member sets up a photo album.
Someone else posts a pen made from sassafras.That would go under "S".
If more than one pen of a species was uploaded,they could be numbered as opposed to alphabetized.
Sassafras
sassafras 2 etc...
Our present list of photo albums isn't pre listed, why should the pen species have to be?

melogic

I don't know if any of you have gotten the newest Steebar catalog or not, but in there they have a nice section of turned pens to show the types of wood. I think it's great. Good idea Eaglesc.

wayneis

If everyone would just put what kind of wood their pen is made of and then a search set up for the photo section we would have it. There are many times that I see a nice pen but the maker did not put what wood it is or they did in their post but not in their album. I'm not sure but that may be easier to set up but everyone would just have to remember to put in the wood name. I usually write in the wood and the kit whenever I post a photo in the area for a name.

Wayne

G

Wayneis-
I had thought of that as a solution.
The only way that would be fool proof is to have a form that would include the species.
If the species wasn't listed I imagined the upload would work like most internet forms where it came back rejected and would not "submit" untill all "boxes" were filled in.
A different section would have the the purpose of a reference.
The member could post their own pen or possibly one that was found on the internet.
It should be entirely separate from the albums section.
Copyryights shouldn't be a problem because the internet is a public forum anyway and I doubt anyone would use it for profit.

Scott

Hi Eaglesc!

This is a great idea! Along with things like the Pen Kit Instruction Index, I had also thought that a Wood Identification Index would be a great thing to have here on our site. The idea of having a picture of a pen made from that wood is perfect! I know a lot of penturners are like me in the fact that if a new, interesting or exotic wood comes along, I just have to try it! I bet we'd be able to get a lot of pictures attached to a lot of descriptions of woods pretty quickly!

The one thing we ran into when we looked into a wood identification index is the problem of permission. There are a lot of places on the Internet that have descriptions of woods and it's characteristics, and almost all of these were done by someone who put a lot of hard work into it, and owns the rights to their work. We would need to get permission to use somebody's descriptions like this.

I think the proper way to proceed is to find a good source for wood descriptions, and get permission to use those descriptions! I think John Arno might be a good starting place, as he is a woodworker. One other thing I thought would be nice to go along with wood descriptions is a PDF of printable cards for each of the wood descriptions.

Scott.

ttpenman

As far as descriptions, two possibilities: The Forest Products Lab in Madison, Wisconsin and I know I have seen a Wood Collectors Society somewhere. Either of these might be a resource that may not have any permissions problems.

Jeff

melogic

I really like the idea Scott had about having the descriptions in pdf format to be able to print them say on a business card size card. This is a really good idea.

Scott

I sent an E-Mail off to a friend who is part of a wood collector's group. His name is Fred Holder, and he's also the Editor/Publisher of More Woodturning. Fred says he doesn't know of any place right off hand that would allow free use of wood descriptions. So I'll keep looking. But he did send this link to a very interesting site. Go take a look!

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/indextotal.htm

I could look at his pictures of wood for hours!

Scott.

G

Y'all are making this much more complicated than I envisioned,
Step one make a frigging pen
step two upload the picture of the pen with the name.
that's it !
They get filed alphabetically,phonetically
PDF sucks!
The creator of the pen can include his impressions of working with the wood.
Why are descriptions needed when the purpose is to see what the finished wood looks like
I'll give you an example.
Cut a blank of bocote.
Describe it in words.
Now turn a pen out of the blank.
How close does your description come to the finished product?
If I want a description of a wood species I can Google it.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
First, I think this is a fantastic idea. A wood library is nice, but actually showing finished pens in different species is really great. It'll take a little programming to make a nice searchable database and front-end for it, but that's what I'm here for [:)] Let me think on it a while, then I'll see what I can whip up.

Second, I'm all for spirited debate, but let's disagree in a more respectful way.

G

Wayne=
My apologies
It was written tongue in cheek.
I really don't care for PDF.
My original suggestion was for PICTURES of finished pens in different woods.
It just seemed that it started to get more complicated with every post.
I am a member of a lot of woodworking forums where people are shall we say a little more off the cuff. Not the same atmosphere as here but a lot more traffic.
Sorry I spoke my mind.
(BTW define "every time"
There's a lot of B.S. on these forums I read and decided it was lile bangin my head against the wall.
One instance was the finishing forum I made my views known and reasons,
If you go back to the thread you would see that the views on the original thread doubled after the post(now locked) about another forum.
Why do I speak out?
Because I didn't voice my views when the bylaws were being written.
Take a look at the qualifications part.

Scott

Hi Eagle,

You make a good point. Maybe all we need is a picture of a pen and the member's thought on turning that material. We had knocked around the idea of a wood description index months ago, and I thought the picture of a pen in that wood would fit nicely into that index. But a major index like that takes a lot of work, and is a complex undertaking. And you'll notice that even though we've talked about it a lot, nobody has started it yet!

So maybe just start with pictures of pens, and some comments on working with that wood. I just made a pen from some spalted mango yesterday - I could start! Or you could start with your most recent pen! This is something you can just DO, and it doesn't take a lot of planning.

As far as your "tone", I do wish you could tone it down some while here on this forum. We are trying to maintain a more civil atmosphere here. I know full well how things are on other forums "out there", but we choose not to go there. A person only needs to look at your photo gallery here to realize that you are serious about making pens, and that we can learn a lot from you. But a quiet, more civil approach will gain much more attention, at least positive attention anyway, than shouting.

Scott.

ilikewood

Hi Eagle. Sometimes I have a real hard time conveying what I am trying to say without sounding like I am bashing or offending someone. I started using the little smiley faces on the editing page as you are typing the message and it made it much easier to portray the thought behind the statement.

This works real good if you are saying something tongue in cheek. Funny sarcasm vs. negativity is one of those that is really hard to figure unless you put one of the smileys on there.[:)]

BTW- did you get that lignum vitae turned? Looking forward to seeing it.

wayneis

Thats part of my point, YOU don't care for PDF so we should not do it that way. The finishing forum is just what I had in mind when I said every time. And if you look back all of the talk was mostly people saying that they would rather have the forum, even if they did not agree some went ahead and said they did because of how you flew off the handle like you did. Like several here have mentioned, many of us are here because it is NOT like the others. Usually we can discuss in respectfull way. I liked how your idea was evolving to what I thought was a good end product. I have always wanted a small card that would tell a little about the wood that the pen is made out of. I personally feel it makes a more professional package. At least when I go to the trouble and put in a note about the wood type and the refill information and put it all in a nice pen box my customers really appreciate it. I really think that is why I get the price I want and I'm not afraid to charge for my work. I don't make a pen for under thirty dollars, most are fifty and above. My specialty is probably the Jr. Gent and I get between seventy five and a hundred bucks no questions asked.I've even had a couple people tell me that I don't charge enough for my product.

I don't think that building a library would be that difficult. Many of us have our favorite places for info. If each of us that wants to would do the research for one or two woods and just write a little about that pen we make we would have a library in no time. Look at all the info that we have compilled about making them, I think we now have what, six hundred plus members? Oh well, what ever.

Wayne Swindlehurst

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Ah yes, remember the good old days when the only intonation you could get into a text message was using all caps when you wanted to SHOUT OUT LOUD.

However, on another note, if anyone wants to take the text descriptions that should accompany the nifty pic's in the new database and create their own pdf's, here is a _free_ pdf converter that works really well:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Thanks,
JohnPayton

jwoodwright

This board is more Adult. Other boards are full of hot-heads who use all upper case (shouting) and the foulest language.[xx(]

I'm glad we're better than that. We all have ideas... Some work [:I] some don't. [:(]

G

Wayne look at the dates on the posts on the formuns and thread,
Those who stated they wanted a finishing forum posted after the fact.
You want to call me on the carpet for speaking out, get your facts straight.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom