New Article Published - One Piece Slimline Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pens By Scott

Jim,
Looks great! Easy to follow and well illustrated. Just wondering on the center band.
, it is required inside to provide support/stability to th Pencil insert? Just asking, because one could purchase a length of brass tubing (7mm) instead of the supplied tubes, just cut it to length, and add the center band measurement as well.

Did you Drill the blank on the lathe?

Penl8the

Justin,

Great tutorial. I am a great fan of slimline (grand daddy of pen kits).

Thanks for your contribution.

JBCustomPens

Jim,
Looks great! Easy to follow and well illustrated. Just wondering on the center band.
, it is required inside to provide support/stability to th Pencil insert? Just asking, because one could purchase a length of brass tubing (7mm) instead of the supplied tubes, just cut it to length, and add the center band measurement as well.

Did you Drill the blank on the lathe?

You could do that. But the main theme of my tutorial was on how you can do a one-piece pencil without any extra parts that don't come with the kit or that most people don't have. Good idea though, if you already have extra tubing.

Justin,

Great tutorial. I am a great fan of slimline (grand daddy of pen kits).

Thanks for your contribution.

You're welcome. Slimlines are very cool.

soligen

Nice job on the tutorial. I've done several, so have a few commnts to add if you dont mind

Jim,
Just wondering on the center band.
, it is required inside to provide support/stability to th Pencil insert?

I've left out the center band - I just cut the blank to length, drilled, and glued the tubes in from either end. I think the answer here is "it depends" - on the thickness/strength of the material. I've never turned a slim as thin as the tutorial shows, so what I have done has more wood in the middle.

Also, with the CB in there your barrel trimmer may not work unles you can adjust it short. I did a slimline pro 8mm pencil and the 8mm trimmer hit the CB before it could trim the blank. The solution is to make a sleave for the 7mm pilot. For a 7mm tube you should be able to move up the trimmer head far enough so it will work, but the set screw can mar the pilot.

If you turn the CB just down to the OD of the tubes, then when you press the tubes together you dont loose the the CB size from the overall length of the pen.

Please free to add any of these comments to the tutorial if you so desire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom