What about this Band Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

I think the band saw would be just fine. They also make an enclosed base model that is just slightly more expensive. All of the Rigid power tools that I have purchased have been great.

rwyoung

Browse over at Sawmill Creek and the Rigid forums. You will still find mixed opinions of the saw. The up shot is that it is a bit of a crap-shoot. Some claim they work great out of the box and others have to fiddle and fuss with the wheel balance, replace the tires and sandbag the base to calm it down.

I've though several times about getting one as they go on sale but every time I just decide to punt and keep saving my money. I have access to a nice Steel City 18" so the bandsaw fund will just keep growing.

GaryMadore

That saw is marketed under a bunch of different names. Ironically, I often hear the Craftsman and Ridgid versions being slagged by people who say that the Delta, Jet, and Rikon are better: They're the same saw.

Wired for 110V, the lights will dim when you start it up. And it'll bog down if you try to ram 8/4 maple through it with a dull blade. But, that's like saying that the sky is blue....

Mine (The Craftsman "Professional" version) had alignment issues - the blade tracked in the center of the top wheel but about 3/4 the way across the bottom wheel. I spent a lot of time reading up on common problems and checking the wheels for all manner of specs. Turned out that the alignment pins for the frame (top half to bottom half) have just enough play such that alignment can be affected. I loosened the Big Bolt, gave the top a tweak, tightened her back up and the problem was solved.

I think that price is a good deal and I wouldn't hesitate to snap it up. It cuts wood: What else do you need from a band saw?

I can sum up, I guess, by saying that I have the same saw in a different colour and am happy with it: No complaints.

Cheers!

Gary

Woodlvr

I have had one for over 6 years and am very happy with it. When I have a problem with it I realize that like Gary stated my blade is dull it is something that I failed to pay attention to.

MattDaddy

I had that saw and about a year ago replaced it the the Rikon 14" Deluxe. While it is a little more than double the price, I can say after having used both, there is no comparison. The little things like the time it takes to change the blade, the tension adjustments and the adjustment of the guide bearings, not to mention the quality of the cut are what sets this apart. I will say, that for the price, the Rigid is a good saw - but if you can swing it, you should consider looking at the Rikon. I frequently cut wood and acrylic pieces that are as thin as 1/16" for segmenting, and with the right blade, get a perfectly straight cut that required very little sanding. While this probably can be done with the Rigid, I don't know that it would be as effortless as it is with the Rikon.

M

Mudder

I have that same saw. Got it for fathers day 4 years ago and used it hard. I have a riser block on it and constantly resaw 12" oak and maple with it. It needs a really good blade to do it and a slow feedrate but I have not had any issues with my saw. I bought a carter quick release blade tensioner and the roller guides from woodcraft. I went over it from top to bottom and tuned it up using the bandsaw book and I'm very happy with it.

GaryMadore

I bought a carter quick release blade tensioner

Scott,

That is the one, single, and only thing I am less than perfectly satisfied with concerning my saw: I wish it had a quick release.

How do you like the Carter one? Would you buy the same one again?

There's something to be said for the workout my wrists get by cranking the tension knob 10,254 times every time I use the saw (I'm fanatical about releasing the tension), but I still want the ease of a lever.

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary

flyingmelon

I went over it from top to bottom and tuned it up using the bandsaw book and I'm very happy with it.

I think that this sums up any saw or tool for that matter. Tune it up and keep it in alignment and you can get the most out of it. I have the same saw and have made I don't know how many boxes with it. It initially took me a weekend or two of tedious set up time but since then (almost 3 years ago) it is still running true with only minimal adjusting time for blade changes. It may not be a production oriented saw but with a little time it will treat you right.

M

Mudder

Scott,

That is the one, single, and only thing I am less than perfectly satisfied with concerning my saw: I wish it had a quick release.

How do you like the Carter one? Would you buy the same one again?

There's something to be said for the workout my wrists get by cranking the tension knob 10,254 times every time I use the saw (I'm fanatical about releasing the tension), but I still want the ease of a lever.

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary

I would buy it again in a second! I can tell at a glance if the blade is tensioned. It is always tensioned consistently (more important than you might think). Installation was a breeze. And I got it on sale!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Is the Carter quick release any different from the stock quick releae that is on my Rikon 14" deluxe? I have found that there is a major difference in the saw since I have switched over to the Carter guides and stabilizer.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I had a Ridgid for a number of years. I sold it and bought an 18" Rikon. The Rikon is a better saw but for a 14" cast iron saw, the Ridgid is as good as any, IMO. I bought my Rikon becasue I wanted a bigger table and motor and just because I wanted it!

Top Bottom