Value added for PW inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Hewson

I raised the question a couple of months ago when I first bought my Pen wizard without getting much reaction.

There is a lot of added time that goes into a pen with the PW treatments whether an engraved pattern, multi-sided, or an inlay/fill pattern.

I'd be most interested in what the consensus of the price for a Sierra with the added Pen wizard treatment.

Most discussions show a standard Sierra pen going for about $40.

For examples of several pens see any of those by JR Beall in this forum or my own below.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

• CIMG3465_edited-2.jpg
    CIMG3465_edited-2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 552
  • CIMG3788_edited-1.jpg
    CIMG3788_edited-1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 452
  • CIMG3789_edited-1.jpg
    CIMG3789_edited-1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 463
  • CIMG3790_edited-1.jpg
    CIMG3790_edited-1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 464
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I do not have a pw but I do quite a few pens with inlay. I typically price them $20 to $50 higher, depending on the amount of work and how intricate the inlay is.

mickr

Bob..I have wondered myself..my show season is short (will start this month) and I have some ready to sell, but like you, how much is it worth? I really don't know..who will it appeal to? How much extra are they willing to spend? My inner self says NOT MUCH..it takes me 15-20 mins to add the spiral (I don't like glitter&goo) I think we will have to add $ to a standard pen & see if they appeal & sell..if not, reduce until they do...I'm sorry I have no answer, only speculation

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Although my experience is limited (2 shows - 6 days), I had a half dozen "wizzed" sierras in with my other sierras - same price - "wizzed" sold one, out of 10 or so that sold (non-wizzed)

This year, I will make a pallet of them and add $25 per pen - we'll see.

KenV

If you are using "plain wood" as I am at this stage of the learning curve, I am not expecting a lot of extra percieved value. Using a 25 cent piece of wood with "wizz" embelishment instead of a 5 buck piece of wood is the margin.

I am finding the finishing is taking more time and should result in a higher value in the detailing.

I am seeing the parallels to laser details added as a model.

Your own experience may vary --

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Honestly, I don't like the embellishments created by the PW - but I'm a bit of a purist...

I tend to like really unique woods, or vibrant acrylics - adding glitter glue to a pen and charging another 20 dollars isn't going to sell it to me if you have a fancy wood one right beside it...

But again, that's just a PERSONAL opinion based on Personal taste. I hope that you sell many of them! :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I should probably say that all of my "wizzed" pens are from alternative ivory, with various colors of "gemstone" fill. A plain alternative ivory is also displayed with these. THAT pen has outsold the wizzed, SO FAR!!! This is NOT a meaningful sample - too few days!!!

Chuck Key

... whether an engraved pattern, multi-sided, or an inlay/fill pattern.

Bob

You did not mention the rope pattern. I would think that would be a nice seller. I called Beall Tool to inquire about getting the rope bit for use on my Chuckie Wizard but was told they do not take PayPal. That would require getting authorization to use a credit card from a higher authority so the bit moved down on the list of things I need.

mickr

You did not mention the rope pattern. I would think that would be a nice seller. I called Beall Tool to inquire about getting the rope bit for use on my Chuckie Wizard but was told they do not take PayPal. That would require getting authorization to use a credit card from a higher authority so the bit moved down on the list of things I need.

One would think so, but in my sales area any non-capped pen with the rope on both barrels does not sell..I suspect they look uncomfortable..I've made "rope" pens for years on a Legacy ..they look silly with just the upper barrel done...On capped pens I can sell a few that have the pattern on both barrels....your mileage may vary:)

Top Bottom