uneven cuts /// help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

My mandrel shaft seems to be uneven, I was doing a six sided flat cut and I had set my cutter dept by using a thin piece of cardboard between the cutter and the bushing on the the left side when the cutter reached the right side it touched the bushing. I used a feeler gauge to check the space on the left end of the mandrel, between it and the cutter then moved it to the right side and the feeler gauge will not fit between them anymore. So I think the left side is lower than the right has any one else run in to this and if so do you have a fix for it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Max; Put a dead center in the headstock, and another in the tail stock. Bring the two together, the points should meet. Turn your headstock to see if it remains in the same plain. If so, do the same with the tailstock. If the tailstock moves in an uneven circle or does not meet point to point, thats where you problem lies. You may need a BFH to adjust side to side, or some type of shim to correct the offset up or down . Jim S

Last edited:

KBs Pensnmore

The 2 things I can come up with, is that the centres are slightly off (twisted ?) or that the locating boss is not centred. If you have access to a dial indicator, run that on each end to check run out. Let me know how you get on with this.
Regards,
Kryn

maxman400

This is on my PEN WIZARD, Sorry I did not say that in my thread I thought since it was in the pen wizard forum... that's what I get for thinking. LOL.

KBs Pensnmore

I realize that the request was for a PW. Another thing is that the thread on the supporting end of the mandrel may not be done up tight, allowing it to vary your measurements? The drillings may be out by a few thou?
I can't remember the proper named parts, will have to look in the book tomorrow. Bloody CRAFT disease.:mad:
Try clocking in the mandrel, in place, for starters? Will check mine, in the morning with verniers etc.
Kryn

Last edited:

maxman400

I realize that the request was for a PW. Another thing is that the thread on the supporting end of the mandrel may not be done up tight, allowing it to vary your measurements? The drillings may be out by a few thou?
I can't remember the proper named parts, will have to look in the book tomorrow. Bloody CRAFT disease.:mad:
Try clocking in the mandrel, in place, for starters? Will check mine, in the morning with verniers etc.
Kryn
I have had the nut back off during cutting due to vibration on the support end, but it was tight during my checks. I have got it pretty close by shimming the left front corner which allowed me to rack the frame a little. The feeler gauge now is just touching on the left and just barely lifts the cutter on the right.
Thanks.

Top Bottom