Rope Twist on the Wizard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Seems like this forum has been very quiet for a while :)

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on making the 'rope twist' with the Beall supplied cutter? I'm assuming it needs four cuts, but what I'm not sure about is how much of a spiral they need to work out...
Don (It's Virgil) had accomplished this I noticed from another thread but I didn't want to dredge it up back from '08 :eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patsikes

I just got one myself. I have only played with it a little bit. But I would be interested in this as well.

Does anyone also have a recommendation on a straight cutting bit for doing the hex style "side" cuts? The one that came with my dremel leaves a really rough bouncy cut.

Thanks!

Does anyone also have a recommendation on a straight cutting bit for doing the hex style "side" cuts? The one that came with my dremel leaves a really rough bouncy cut.

Thanks!

Hey Patrick, I used a Dremel #654 - 1/4" router bit (overall size and not the shank size obviously) doing the cuts on the side, turned out quite well, I made them in two passes, with the second pass at a faster pace than the first, using the 4th speed on my dremel that has six speeds...here's a pic :wink:

Attachments

• HexTwist3.JPG
    HexTwist3.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 943

its_virgil

I use a 1/4 inch router bit designed to do rope twists on pens made for the small legacy mills. I use a Foredom knock off with the Fordom handset which will hold 1/4 inch router bits. Here is the rope twist bit made for the Legacy company.
http://magnate.net/index.cfm?event=showProductGroup&theID=216
I have not seen nor used the cutters sold by Beall.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on making the 'rope twist' with the Beall supplied cutter? I'm assuming it needs four cuts, but what I'm not sure about is how much of a spiral they need to work out...
Don (It's Virgil) had accomplished this I noticed from another thread but I didn't want to dredge it up back from '08 :eek:

I just got one myself. I have only played with it a little bit. But I would be interested in this as well.

Thanks!

Patrick, I've now experimented with doing the 'rope twists' with the 'Beall' supplied cutter and although it does a nice 'small' rope, I really think you need to move up to Don's recomendation of using a 'foredom' to utilize the 1/4" shanked rope bit from Magnate to get the familiar looking 'Rope Twist'...:)

Also I wanted to mention that I've now received my 'Beall' straight cutters and they work very nicely on making the 'Hex Twist' on the wizard with the Dremel! :cool:

its_virgil

I qctually use the foredom knock off from Harbor Freight. The Foredom 44T hand piece fits into the flex shaft of the HF tool I have but does not fit in one purchased recently (six + months ago) by someone else. It may be worth looking into. Maybe the Foredom handset will now fit or will fit other Foredom knockoffs. The HF one was $70 compared to the pricey Foredom itself. But, be sure to check it out before purchasing to make sure the Foredom handset will work with it. The handset the comes with the HF tool I have will not hold 1/4 in shaft bits. Maybe the newer model will or another similar tool can hold 1/4 in shaft bits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I really think you need to move up to Don's recomendation of using a 'foredom' to utilize the 1/4" shanked rope bit from Magnate to get the familiar looking 'Rope Twist'...

Thanks for the info Don :cool:

I've been toying with the idea of moving up to the 'foredom' type rotary tool...so far the dremel has performed well... :wink:
Spending another few hundred on the upgrade has yet to be approved by 'SWMBO' :biggrin:

Gregf

For anyone considering a Foredom vs a knockoff, let me tell you a short story.
A have an ancient Foredom 505 I inherited from my father's optometry office. Best guess is it's over 60 years old. Still works. Earlier this year I wrote Foredom to ask how to get it apart for lubrication. It's not the same as current models (which I have) and I didn't want to risk damaging it.
The speed control is a littly scarey, UL wasn't around then.
I received a prompt response from the sales manager with detailed directions, with a mention that the new speed controls would work fine with it.
I would doubt you would get the same response from any of the knockoffs, yet alone that they will still work in 60 years.
Regarless, enjoy.

Now that's what I call 'customer service' :cool:

While we're on the topic...Lee Valley has recently begun offering the 'Foredom' (good news for us 'canucks' anyway) :wink:

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam

Use the Magnate 7597 cutter which is the one designed for thh Legacy mill. Of course you need a 1/4" toolholder. I have a Foredom, some years ago I also bought a Wecheer from Woodcraft at 40% off I think, this is quite a good tool and much better than the Harbor Fright knock-offs... Set up for 1.5" pitch (.64 rev/inch as Beall calls it) Make 3 passes and you got a rope!

Top Bottom