PLEASE HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JosephDurham

Is there any information out there about using the PW and acrylics? It seems to just scratch the swirl, even at a slow slow speed, and yes I have the depth set appropriately. It looks like it melts it.

Joseph

JosephDurham

Im amazed that out of all of the members here no one has any advice or experience with this situation.

Joseph

Marco

Joseph, I use the PW (recently bought, so I'm still in the learning fase) too, but I did not try it on acrylics (yet). One thing I know, the trick is when you turn acrylics, is to use very sharp tools and use them in a scraping mode rather than in a cutting mode like you would with wooden pens. I suppose that for your case the cutter bit you're using must be one with as little as possible "flutes" to prevent the bit from heating the material and very sharp. And also, when using a Dremel or other tool for the PW the minimum rotation speed setting, which is around 5000 rpm for my unit is still too high for cutting acrylics. Try using a different method for driving (tool with still lower speed setting, but not too low or the acrylic may shatter) the cutter with a lower speed setting and (perhaps try this first), also try to increase the speed of travel of the carriage by turning faster on the carriage movement handle. This may help as there is less time the cutter is in contact with the material and consequently will reduce the frictional heat buildup. Hoping this was of help for you, suc6, and keep us posted.

Top Bottom