Pen Wizard - Owners discussion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I also have a problem aligning the cutting tool directly centered over the blank with both the dremel and the foredom handpiece. I think the slots in the mounting plate need to be longer to allow the cutter to move away from the operator to better center it.

Mine has a little slop between going forward and reverse.

I marked every 4th hole and found this helpful in counting since I was indexing either 4 or eight holes trying to get the rope bit to work properly.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

BUT, if anyone wants to know the difficulties:
There is a little slop between going in forward and reverse.

I attribute this to the fact that the Dremel tool does not line up on TOP of the pen, but slightly toward me. The plastic positioners will not allow it to go any farther. Is this just MINE, or do they all stop short?

"Counting" the holes can be improved. I marked every third hole with a silver dot and every fourth hole with a gold dot. All I need to remember is silver or gold and I don't "miss a hole".

HOpe this is more in line with the spirit of the thread. Sorry.

Yes, I will answer direct questions, I did spend about 10 hours playing with the toy!!

OKLAHOMAN

I've had the same problem with aligning the dremel directly over the center of the blank, I think a call to JR to make the slots 1/4 longer would solve this. Ed idea of marking the holes two different colors is a good one. The slop between going forward than back I think will be a small problem not solved because of the configuration of the gears. All in all I think the wizard has more good going for it than these small problems.
I also have a problem aligning the cutting tool directly centered over the blank with both the dremel and the foredom handpiece. I think the slots in the mounting plate need to be longer to allow the cutter to move away from the operator to better center it.

Mine has a little slop between going forward and reverse.

I marked every 4th hole and found this helpful in counting since I was indexing either 4 or eight holes trying to get the rope bit to work properly.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

diamundgem

I just received my pen wizard,,,, Great little tool . I wanted a Legacy for a long time but wouldn't pay the price. For pens only ,It's a pen wizard..

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Shows coming up, not a lot of time to play.

But, if someone has the time, design a piece of plywood to replace the plastic holder. Put the Dremel tool in a hole, then screw on the piece that normally covers the threads. Position it directly OVER the blank. See if it becomes unstable (my guess is JR already tried this and had a REASON for its design).

By using plywood, you won't ruin any existing parts of the Pen Wizard. If this idea works, we can ask JR to have a mod made - I suspect he will accomodate for a reasonable price.

jrbeall

I have been monitoring your comments here and next week we will be shipping some up-grades to all current owners. One will be a spring to slide over the depth adjusting screw, which will provide friction and eliminate creep. The second is a new tool holder plate with longer slots. You can all look forward to receiving these in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your patience.

JR

OKLAHOMAN

Can't get much better than that. Thanks JR, you really know how to WOW us.:star::star::star::star::star:

I have been monitoring your comments here and next week we will be shipping some up-grades to all current owners. One will be a spring to slide over the depth adjusting screw, which will provide friction and eliminate creep. The second is a new tool holder plate with longer slots. You can all look forward to receiving these in the next couple of weeks.

JR

Borg_B_Borg

Sorry, I was referring to "average" hard wood, but I just want a very rough range anyway. My guess is an HSS bit will noticeably dull after no more than 10 pens made out of most woods, assuming at least 6 cuts per barrel.

Steve

That will probably depend on whether you are cutting cherry, ebony, polyresin or acrylic or trustone.

OKLAHOMAN

A word of caution, it looks like HF has changed the fitting on it's unit and it no longer will fit the Fordom 44T handset. I just received my new unit yesterday and it's a no go:frown:

I use the foredom type tool that Harbor Freight sells and use the foredom 44T hand set with my MillLathe and plan to do the same with the PW. The hand set that comes with the Harbor Freight tool does not hold 1/4 inch router bits and the Foredom 44T fits right onto the HF unit. I think I paid about $40 for the Foredom 44T handset online somewhere.
The HF unit: Flex Shaft Grinder/carver Item #40432 and sells for $53.99 on the HF website. I paid $69.99 for mine two years ago.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Borg_B_Borg

I'm not willing to part with my MillLathe yet, perhaps in the future I might. I'm a bit puzzled why you'd prefer a MillLathe over a Pen Wizard given the Wizard's clearly superior range of capabilities and the MillLathe's belt creeping problem.

Steve

to either Don or Steve;

I was interested in the PW to do rope turns. The Milllathe looks as what i want Who sells it?

its_virgil

My millLathe is not for sale. It is no longer made and finding one will be dufficult. They were sold by Woodcraft and I know for sure that there were none to be had 3 years ago...no accessory kits either. I think I called every one in the USA looking for the accessory kits I did not have and helping a friend to find them for his. I'm lucky enough to have all of the accessory kits except the mill attachment.

I have yet to get my Pen Wizard to make a descent rope twist with the special 1/2 inch rope twist router bit mentioned in this thread or another. I will keep trying but the cutter wants to rise to the surface of the pen blank instead of staying at the depth I have it set.
Even with the belt creeping problem with the MillLathe, I can get really nice rope twists...if I go slow.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• E Indian Rosewood.jpg
    E Indian Rosewood.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:

Borg_B_Borg

I wonder if you might fix that by putting some heavy weights on the mounting plate that holds the cutter in place.

Steve

I have yet to get my Pen Wizard to make a descent rope twist with the special 1/2 inch rope twist router bit mentioned in this thread or another. I will keep trying but the cutter wants to rise to the surface of the pen blank instead of staying at the depth I have it set.

Don

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I finally set mine up and played with it last night for a while. It seems to be a pretty simple tool and I only ruined 1 blank because I forgot to do something. Otherwise, this thing seems to be able to do a lot of stuff that I couldn't do before and am having fun just playing with it so far.

its_virgil

I did something similar. I used rubber bands. Next time I'm moving the rubbler bands to go ever the front edge of the platform. Pictures below show the mod and the resulting successful rope twist.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I wonder if you might fix that by putting some heavy weights on the mounting plate that holds the cutter in place.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3336.JPG
    IMG_3336.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:

its_virgil

I tried moving the rubberbands but they got in the way of both the cutter and the blank. I moved them back....used shorter and stronger ones. When I used them too strong they pulled the cutter into the mandrel and I have no more adjustment left in the screw. I backed off the tension (different rubber bands) and here is the result. Although I;m pleased with the performance and I'm glad I can do these spiral rope cuts, I don't think I should have had to modify the PW this way. The rope twist cutter may be the only one that gives this problem. Here is my next rope twist.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 441

Texatdurango

Don, I got to thinking of something.

While at Bubbasville this morning I was looking at Jeffs machine with the Foredom 44t hand piece attached so have an idea of what you're dealing with. While the weight of a dremel tool is not much, it certainly is more than double or triple the weight of the 44t handle. I think the idea of the rubberbands is good but also think if a little weight were added to the hand piece itself, bringing the weight up to equal that of the dremel tool, probably no harm to the wizard would incur.

I think I just talked myself into getting the Foredom tool and hand piece so will be in the same boat as you soon.

Steve, Don't take my post wrong. I was just responding when I saw..."putting some heavy weights...". "Heavy" is not good with this tool as there is a lot of plastic and the plate which the dremel or foredom hand piece rests also puts pressure on a brass tube and 1/4" all-thread rod which could easily bow under much weight.

Borg_B_Borg

Don, that looks really nice. It looks like mango wood to me. I certainly hope JR Beall is reading this and will come up with an improvement to the mounting plate to permit rope twist cuts.

Steve

its_virgil

Thanks Steve. I think JR has been reading this thread. The first rope twist pic is mahogany and the second one is mesquite.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don, that looks really nice. It looks like mango wood to me. I certainly hope JR Beall is reading this and will come up with an improvement to the mounting plate to permit rope twist cuts.

Steve

its_virgil

The PW comes with an adapter for using the Foredom 44T handpiece. I don't think using the Foredom handpiece is unreasonable. The rope twist bit is probably the most agressive bit that will be used, at least by me. Other cutters I've used have performed as expected.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Then someone will want to use a 3HP router with a 1/2 inch shank bit in a tool that appears designed for an 1/8" Dremel tool bit.

bgray

Does anyone have the manual for the pen wizard on PDF form?

The Beall website has manuals available for every tool EXCEPT the pen wizard!

If someone has is, please email to

bgray005@neo.rr.com

Thanks in advance.

Jerryconn

Other bits for the Wizard

I have been playing with my Wizard and messing around, I have been working to do some inlay work with mine. Anyway I had purchased this set of bits a while back for my dremel and had almost forgotten I had them. Thought I would share with others that have the Wizard. I have not used yet but will in the very near future.

Texatdurango

For anyone looking into purchasing a Foredom tool to use with your wizard, you mifht be interested in this....

After searching the web for a while,I found the Foredom 5240 kit at Smokey Mountain Woodcarvers, http://www.woodcarvers.com/5240kit.htm on sale for $249 which includes what appears to be a nice 3 DVD set on carving and includes free shipping.

This is the newest reversable motor out and includes the 44t handset.

davebrac

JR

Received by upgraded part today, and haven't even had time to try the PW yet as it only arrived on Friday!

thanks for the great service JR - looking forward for the weekend so I can play

GouletPens

I'm with you Borg, I want one some kinda bad now! Now how can I convince my wife that I need one of these.....hmmm....

sbell111

It's FREE with the above set along with a bunch of FREE cutters and attachments.:biggrin:

Actually, the cheapest I found a stand alone 44t was around $44 at Otto Frei's website.
Fortunately, I've already sourced a used foredom for a pennance, so I don't need the whole kit.

sbell111

For anyone looking into purchasing a Foredom tool to use with your wizard, you mifht be interested in this....

After searching the web for a while,I found the Foredom 5240 kit at Smokey Mountain Woodcarvers, http://www.woodcarvers.com/5240kit.htm on sale for $249 which includes what appears to be a nice 3 DVD set on carving and includes free shipping.

This is the newest reversable motor out and includes the 44t handset.
In today's mail, I received Woodcraft's sale circular. As it turns out, Woodcraft's version of the fordom is going on sale from 11/28-12/31 for $143.99.

Item 147220 Wecheer 1/4 HP Flexible Shaft Carver Kit

1/4hp 120v reversible motor
flexible 42" shaft
variable speed foot control
Standard rotary handpiece
3 collets (3/32", 1/8", 1/4")
wrench
tool hanger

Incidently, the handpiece by itself costs $43.99. I wonder if it will fit my old foredom (or HF's variant).

titan2

Wizard Quilted Covers

Just a short note to let all the 'Pen Wizard' owners know that we have a sale on 'Wizard Quilted Covers' over in the Individual Classifieds. Check'em out!!!

THANKS.......

Top Bottom