Pen Wizard - Dremel Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

If you have seen JR's new widget that fits the dremel to make contour cutting of blanks you will under stand my question. My dremel is a 300 and I think the 400 do not have the 1/2" recess for the brass tube to fit in. I believe model 285 has it and I am trying to find out what other models have the 1/2" recession around the collet. I need to get another to use the attachment. I plan on picking up one on ebay and the photos won't show this. Anybody have an idea what models will work?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

Ken, I'm pretty sure the 285 will work but I am not sure on the other models. My 300 will not. I'm beginning to think that all of the new models will not. There are still a lot of new older models available though. I just didn't want my search to be for one model if others will work. I'm sure it is only a matter of time before someone come up with a way to use the newer models in the same manner. I have thought of a couple of ways but don't have the tools to make it.

Nick

I have the new part. I also have a Dremel "400 XPR and it will not fit.
When choosing the Dremel to buy, possibly the dealer also has brass tubing in stock, you could try a piece in several Dremel's to see if the 1/2" OD brass tubing will fit.

Bob Hewson

The attachment works on a Dremel #395.

It also works on the B&D RTX, but requires a 15/32" tube instead of the 1/2" as used for the Dremel.

I have both and made two attachments.

Bob

Last edited:

dogcatcher

I made a similar gizmo, gadget or whatever you want to call it. I made mine out of a piece of aluminum and fits on the flex shaft head that is attached to the Dremel. Works on the same principle. Keeps the mass of the Dremel tool out of the way of sight and the wear on those "cheap" bearings in a Dremel tool is reduced since the lateral movement is being done by the flex shaft head.

On edit. Use a piece of Delrin instead of the wood for the plug. Polished Delrin slides better across unfinished wood than even the best finished wood. I have had mine in use for about 10 years and never have had to do any thing to it.

Marvin

Last edited:

rej19

Ken, From what I have found it looks like the model 285 is the most economical for the PW. I found it today at Lowes for $34.95 includes case and 40pc accessory kit. It is 2 speed not VS. They were selling used on Ebay for this price. Hated to buy another Dremel but this will dedicated to the PW and want have to take it off for other needs. Now I just need to pick up the brass tubing and I'm set......for now.

justaccord

Confused about Dremel models

I'm confused. I can't find the 285 at Lowe's or on the Dremel website.

I just bought a 200 at Lowe's and according to the Dremel website, it's the current model (comes as a N-38 with 38 attachments or an N-40 with 40). And it's about twice as much as you said for the 285.

Can someone explain?

rej19

Justaccord, I believe you are correct on the 200. I was going by memory on the one I purchased. I believe it said 200 series. I assumed it was 285. I do know I paid 34.95 and it included accessories and case. It was interesting because there were two of the exact same box on the shelf. One was marked $50 something and one was 34.95. I took the 34.95 and it works. Hope this helps and sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Joe L

I'm ordering a PW on Monday.... Bought a Dremel (model 595 type 3) back in 1994 and it sat in the box all these years...one of those impulse things<sigh>. When I decided to purchase the PW, I located the box... and absolutely no way it even looks like is has an opening for the drill guide. Since I'm calling PW Monday, I will confirm the "best" Dremel...

Sure glad this tread is available...even after reading/learning I know I will still have questions.

-Joe L (Surprise, AZ)

Nick

I made a similar gizmo, gadget or whatever you want to call it. I made mine out of a piece of aluminum and fits on the flex shaft head that is attached to the Dremel. Works on the same principle. Keeps the mass of the Dremel tool out of the way of sight and the wear on those "cheap" bearings in a Dremel tool is reduced since the lateral movement is being done by the flex shaft head.

On edit. Use a piece of Delrin instead of the wood for the plug. Polished Delrin slides better across unfinished wood than even the best finished wood. I have had mine in use for about 10 years and never have had to do any thing to it.

Marvin
When you use the flex shaft, do you hand the dremel too over the top of the P/W so the flex shaft is fairly straight down?

theartist07

PW

I've watched the videos and read now where do i get one, or have i missed something? I have a Dremal and all there accessories already. I've seen some very different pens done with this and i am now interested. Any help greatly appreciated.

Jim

theartist07

pen wizard

thanks for the link and yes i have watched the video. This would be a great addition to my tools but a little to costly at this time. Maybe if my shows go well this year i can get one. Thank for the responces.

Jim

jrbeall

I have been working on the depth gauge situation and have come up woth a new improved model. It will work with any cutting tool including the Foredom. It bolts to the bottom of the mounting plate and has a fine adjustment which is much easier to use. It will be ready to sell next week and is $24.95. We will not be selling the old one any more.

Attachments

• DSC00659.jpg
    DSC00659.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 339

leehljp

Member Liaison
Could someone post a picture of the adapter for "contour" routing? I just purchased a PW and did not see an adapter in the kit, nor did I see it on the site. I can and will probably make one, but If I have a pictorial idea to begin with, it will speed up the process.

Thanks for any help with this.

Last edited:

jrbeall

Yes, it will replace the tube device and will produce the same results. We will have a video on it next week. It is not as simple, but it will work better.

gspalding

JR,

A couple of months back you talked about an add-on which would do rope pens.

Any progress on this??

George

jrbeall

I don't have a video but it is done just like any other spiral. The picture shows one done with 8 passes and .35 turns per inch as shown in the instructions. It takes longer to finish because you will want to sand the grooves. The cutter cuts pretty clean though so it isn't too bad. I just folded some 320 for that. The finish is one coat of Danish oil and buffed.

Attachments

• Bubinga rope twist.jpg
    Bubinga rope twist.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 943
Top Bottom