New to Wizard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Congratulations on the Wizard!

I don't have a Wizard but here are my 2 cents!
I would suggest for learning and practice to take some free, scrap wood to make blanks. With these, you don't even need to put tubes in them. Just drill the same size as the inside diameter of the tube. Turn them to pen blank size and go at it with the Wizard. When you are comfortable with a design and cut, then use your pen blank which will become the finished pen.
Hope this helps.

KenV

As you practice, take notes.

There is technique to getting all the parts and pieces working together in good order.

Some designs will be more pleasing to your eye and feel. Really be sure you can replicate the ones you really like.

dogcatcher

Read every post on every thread in this section. It's not rocket science, and all of the tricks that are needed have been discussed and expanded on. Then develop your own styles and "tricks"...

Notscottish

I always thought it might be cool to figure out how to try designs on the wizard by using a sharpie marker in place of the dremmel tool or router. Get it right before committing it to wood.

Simsonicole

Congratulations on the Wizard!

I don't have a Wizard but here are my 2 cents!
I would suggest for learning and practice to take some free, scrap wood to make blanks. With these, you don't even need to put tubes in them. Just drill the same size as the inside diameter of the tube. Turn them to pen blank size and go at it with the Wizard. When you are comfortable with a design and cut, then use your pen blank which will become the finished pen.
Hope this helps.

What a brilliant idea! Thanks :) Got some thick dowel lying around that might do the trick too :)

KBs Pensnmore

The shaft is the same size as your pen mandrel 1/4". What I did with mine, was make up a dozen + blanks, I used fruit wood but don't have them parallel, as this can change the look and try the different gear ratios, cutting them with an actual cutting bit, as the depth can be varied to give a different look. Mark each one with the gears used, as later on when someone sees them and asks for one in that particular pattern, you won't have to look for the book that got accidentally thrown out or the bit of scrap paper. As for the chequering I found that a V bit works and looks better than a ball bit.
Enjoy
Kryn

Top Bottom