New PW Owner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensmyth

OK,
The wife said I could get a Pen Wizard for my birthday. So We headed out to JR Beall's shop as we don't live that far away. JR was on vacation but his assistant was more than helpful in getting me taken care of and showing me around JR's shop (loved the CNC machine) and explaining things to me. I left there like a new father carrying his new born child for the first time. I got home unpacked everything and my first panic attack was when it seemed like my 400 series Dremel tool wouldn't screw into the attachment plate but it did. I popped in the DVD and preceded to learn all about my new toy.
I learned one thing by the end of the DVD, decimals and thousandths give me a headache! I'm a fractions kinda guy I guess. So I'm going to cut me some practice blanks outa pine and take this puppy for a test drive over the next week or so. I have one question about the gears I know that by switching them around you can make a multitude of designs. Has anyone made up a chart of some kind explaining which gear combo will give me .35 per inch for a spiral cut and etc.
Maybe I can save some test cutting if someone has already recorded what different gearing does what.
Thanks
Proud PAPA

mickr

read my previous post on this forum..I discussed just that..JR did not bless us with his years of testing info

KenV

One of the problems with consistency is that the diameter of the blanks are different so the slope of the spiral will appear different for the same rotational angle. Ratio of diameter to the slope of the spiral will be needed for different diameters. Unless you only do a single style like JR has done with the Sierra for his examples. I feel a spreadsheet in the future.

The decimal stuff comes with practice - hang in there

Top Bottom