Need some help with glitter/epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Hewson

I am working the PW and have prepared and inlaid epoxy/glitter (5minute epoxy). My problem is pinholes in the fill. I mix and apply my mixture using a toothpick. I sort of smear the material into the channel carved by the PW, ensuring as complete a fill as I can (see pictures below of the pinholes in both straight and wave patterns).

After curing I remount on the lathe and turn the excess off. Once off I can see the spots that need refilling and leveling, plus a few pinholes. Repeat the process. Still pinholes there. Repeat refilling pinholes.

I use a pointed toothpick, dip it in epoxy mix, insert into hole and ensure resin gets into pinhole and than smear more of the mix over the hole to fill it. Return and hopefully the pinholes are gone and I can complete the finishing.

My questions are how to eliminate the pinholes or at least minimize them, how to fill the pinhole so it does the job hopefully 1st time? I have gone back to refilling holes as often as 4 times.

For those who do this type of work do you prefer the ca/glitter or the epoxy/glitter? The reason I have been doing epoxy is that it seems less messy than ca/glitter.

Looking forward to some solutions.

Attachments

• CIMG3702_edited-1.jpg
    CIMG3702_edited-1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 363
  • CIMG3701_edited-1.jpg
    CIMG3701_edited-1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 308
  • CIMG3709_edited-1.jpg
    CIMG3709_edited-1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 288
  • CIMG3707.jpg
    CIMG3707.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 263
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

If you want to eliminate the pinholes, then you will need to put the blank under pressure while the epoxy cures. To minimize the pinholes, stir more slowly so air is not introduced into the mix.

That said, I usually use CA and embossing powder because it is faster and embossing powder is available in colors other than metallics.

Bob Hewson

Thanks for the suggestions Stan,

Since I use 5 min epoxy and it takes a few of those 5 minutes to mix in the filler powder and to fill the grooves the material is beginning to gel before I could get it into a pressure vessel even if I had one which I don't, nor do I have a compressor so I am somewhat limited.

Using a longer gel resin might work but it is usually of lower viscosity and likely to drip out of the grooves before gelling.

Perhaps I need to go back to ca/powder, work on technique, and learn to be less messy!

Thanks again,

Bob

KenV

20 minute epoxy that I use is about the same thickness as the 5 minute. Note that some of the epoxy is amber and some is clear -- both time reaction versions have similar characteristics --

I do have some epoxy for filler and stabalization is is thin, slow setting, and amber.

arw01

If you find it does want to drip or run out, let it set a little longer before you smear it into the grooves. It would then have a little more body to it.

jrbeall

I have been using Devcon 5 min epoxy. I mix plenty and then slather it all over the pen so that you can't even see the wood, working it into the grooves with something like a popsicle stick, working fast before it sets up. Then I put it back in the lathe and turn it slowly by hand with a flood light on it so that it will set up fast and not sag. I have never had to repeat the process and don't get pin holes. I let it setup for at least 3 hours before turning the excess off.

Attachments

• Walnut cross spiral w glitter.jpg
    Walnut cross spiral w glitter.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 286
  • Bubinga w-black lattice.jpg
    Bubinga w-black lattice.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Cherry Burl w guilloche.jpg
    Cherry Burl w guilloche.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 285
Top Bottom