My experiences with the Pen Wizard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Bob, thank you for a nicely presented tutorial. Clear istructions and well photographed. Mr. Beall should have you on his "writing" instructions team.:)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks Bob! That was very enlightening to me. I am fairly certain that I will get one come April or May.

I am curious about one thing. Are extra parts available? I would like a blank indexing wheel to make my own for odd numbered stops. My mind is working on how to make one.

Thanks again for posting this. It has been helpful.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
An excellent, well written and unbiased review.

This could easily walk away with the prize for the 'Best Article' contest.

There are many that would have been less generous about the frustrations and mods required of this otherwise cool little tool.

Bob Hewson

Reply to Hank re Index wheel

I'm sure Beall tools would supply spare parts.

Re index wheel, I made on for my lathe from a piece of 1/16" aluminum. Drilled the centre to fit my headstock (3/4), held it in place with a faceplate and turned it round. I used regular wood tools, aluminum is quite soft. Removed it and applied a template (Google "index place template"), fasten it to the wheel and centre punch and drill appropriate holes. If you are looking for odd sequences i.e. 5 segments the spacing needs to be 72 degrees apart and you may need to work the spacing yourself with a protractor or drawing program.

It really wasn't too difficult.

Bob

Bob Hewson

A paper color coded divider wheel

Here is a copy of the color coded divider wheel aid that I used on my PW. Print it in color and glue in place.

I glued it in place with a spray adhesive and once dry I sprayed it with a sanding sealer to keep it from getting too dirty in use. (if you need a higher definition image, let me know as the system has clipped it somewhat).

Bob

Attachments

• Divider wheel for PW_edited-1.jpg
    Divider wheel for PW_edited-1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,395

jspencer

Getting mine Friday

I decided to order it and see how far out of the norm I can go. This is a pretty exicting tool and this tutorial sealed the deal.

More to come.

Bob Hewson

Here is a Sierra kit I made using maccassar ebony plus Pen Wizard (PW) treatment.

The cross-hatch is filled with a pewter powder/epoxy mix and the gold bands are gold glitter and CA. The finish is CA and turner's polish plus a light buff. The crosshatch is 8 repeats with a moderate speed twist.

The second kit is a pill-holder kit with ca/gold glitter and bands of ca/silver glitter. The pattern is a centered lazy wave with 8 repeats. The bands are done with a thin parting tool (1/16").

Bob

Attachments

• CIMG3465_edited-2.jpg
    CIMG3465_edited-2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 889
  • CIMG3468_edited-2.jpg
    CIMG3468_edited-2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 769
Here is a copy of the color coded divider wheel aid that I used on my PW. Print it in color and glue in place.

I glued it in place with a spray adhesive and once dry I sprayed it with a sanding sealer to keep it from getting too dirty in use. (if you need a higher definition image, let me know as the system has clipped it somewhat).

Bob

:confused: Bob How would it be possible to get a higher definition copy of the wheel. You mentioned spraying it with a sanding sealer, has anyone ever mentioned laminating it in plastic before gluing it in place.

Gary

Last edited:

Bob Hewson

Gary,

Re higher res copy, please send me your email address and I will send a better copy (270K file size). This site allows only low res to be uploaded.

Re laminating, I see no reason it would not work, but my is still OK, no signs of wear. Only problem might be a little to much thickness added to the index wheel. You want the indexing of the shaft to be smooth and easy.

Bob

KenV

Bob -- good piece of work, and a good example of doing test pieces to learn with. Thanks for the extra effort and time you invested.

batman382

Pen Wizard

Thanks for the info, Bob. I am very interested to try all the different things I can do with it. I am disabled, and living in a nurseing home, but a good friend of mine has let me set up my tools in his garage. I am now looking forward to every day so I can do my woodworking. Thanks for the help. Tony

wilsoni3

Coded divider

Bob

Hi Bob

Could you send me a higher definition image of the divider.

Email address is Isobel.wilson1@btopenworld.com

Thanks

Regards
Isobel Wilson

HamTurns

Hi Isobel -

I see that this is your very first post. Welcome to the IAP, lots of good people here with tons of smarts.

I know how we can get caught up in reading old forums, then reply to an old post, I've done it.

I looked at Bob Hewson's profile after you'd asked him to send you something and noticed that he has not been on this site since 2011. So you may not get a reply from him.

Just trying to help, and thought you'd like to know.

Happy turning

VE5MDH

I contacted Mr. Smith (Designer of the Segmented Discs), and he linked me to the High Quality PDF's. Just waiting for my PW to arrive so I can see if my reduction in size is correct for the 24 Index Wheel. (The PDF images mentioned above in this thread, either are not of good enough quality (printed out on my laser printer) or the PDF's are invalid).

Thanks Bill!

Michael & Andrea

geffre

My first experience with the Beall was not as satisfying as I had hoped. The set up is difficult to get correct. Trying to follow the setup material is not as straight to the point as I had hoped.
I love the results that I could get, but my results so far have been lack luster.
Best advice I could give would be to practice using it on materials that you do not care about. Do not pull out that $30 piece of Amboyna Burl and think it will turn out the first time you use the machine. Try some maple to start off and then get in some practice.

Top Bottom