Just purchased it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JosephDurham

Well, I finally bit the bullet and purchased the Beall Pen Wizard. I have been wanting to buy it for some time, but couldn't bring myself to do so. But, I have been selling a lot of pens, and I am hoping that by the use of the Pen Wizard and the unique designs that it will only add to not only the sales :), but to the beauty of the pens.

Any words of advice?

Joseph

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

I have not owned one, but know people who have. The best advice I can give you is: 1. Read the manual. and 2. Be Patient.

I have heard that there is a substantial learning curve to using it to its best advantage. If you do both of the above, you will appreciate what it can do. Take shortcuts, or become impatient, and you'll be unhappy. Just my 2 cents based upon what I have heard.

KBs Pensnmore

I have one, and find that it is excellent after a bit of work is done to it.:biggrin:
Check through this forum for some ideas, marking the disc, (so that wrong locations aren't selected), mounting the base properly, (using more ally angle to make it more secure), prepare for plenty of scrap for starters,(till you get use to it). These are just a few of the mods I've done to mine.
There are certainly a lot of options to choose from, once it is sorted out.
Kryn

JosephDurham

That sounds great! Id love to see it.

Does anyone know if the Dremel flex shaft works with the PW?

Joseph

Fred

I mounted mine on a laminated shelf I had in the shop. I first cut two angle braces and made a cut out along the inside upper edge to accept the PW side pieces and epoxied them to the PW sides. This was done to elevate the unit and lean it a bit forward to assist in keeping the Dremel tool leaning against the work piece without me holding it all the time. The angle in the front is lower than the back and the back is up maybe 1.75 inches. Once the epoxied sides set-up the unit is then fixed to the shelf. Adjust the lower flat edge to suit your individual height requirements.

The power cable needs to be positioned to make thDremel lean happen and I just used wire wraps to affix it to the body of the Dremel tool and then out of the way to the left side. Also, a variable speed foot switch is an excellent idea to consider to make turning the unit on and off while your hands are busy else here.

I doubt that you can use the flex cable with the Dremel mounted as there is no room to move it around.

Grandpaw B

I heard they discontinued production of the Beall Pen Wizard because they weren't making enough profit. I take it from the posts above that they have resumed production? I want one!

JosephDurham

Yes, they are still making these, and while they are expensive they are truly worth every single penny tha'ts spent!

Joseph

Hexhead

Up date this thing is great, get the bits beall sells, there worth it! To cut a perfect rope pattern, cut from the side instead of the top, use same bit as when cutting a poly design. Works for me :)

Just got my PW, too!
I've been having a few problems with it, and when I brought them to the attention of Beall, I got an email back saying they couldn't help me, but would refund my money if I shipped it back. While I appreciate the offer, I'd much rather just work through the issues and get comfortable with it.
I'm going to take some time to go through the thread and look ofr answers before I get all jiggy with my questions. Could be someone's already dealt with them and knows how to help. Is there a Pen Wizard FAQ?:)

KBs Pensnmore

Congratulations and welcome, don't know about a FAQ, but read through the threads and that will give you most of the answers. If you can't find an answer to your question, ask on here and you should get a reply within a short time.
A few modifications are recommended to make it better and more stable. Take the time to play on scrap blanks to get to know the machine, take your time and don't rush as you could end up damaging the dremel or the blank, if the nut is not done up tight, it will slip, ruining you work, try various combinations of gearing to find what you like, I wrote on the blank as to what gearing was used etc. for reference.

Kryn

PenPal

Hi,
I found mounting the PW to a new Bamboo fairly heavy cutting block gave me great stability, in conjunction with bolting the sides to it with aluminium angle.

Did away with the pointy threaded hand operated section that locates in the mandrel end instead using threaded rod and a smooth slip fit bored out the rod to sleeve over the mandrel end to hold the mandrel. Use a locknut either side of that upright to give strength and a locknutted knob to adjust/ fit the shaft over the mandrel. Cut extended thread on the mandrel shaft either end of it to locknut the mandrel either end of the blank for strength. On and on there are ways to improve this unit IMHO. Used mapping pins on a disk fitted to the rear of the engage disk.

Have fun Peter.

Top Bottom