JR Beall - the real deal!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A couple weeks or so Jerry Beall commented that we who owned his Pen Wizard would be receiving a couple modified parts. He had taken the initiative to monitor our comments and was making parts to change those things we found "wanting".:eek:

Talk is cheap. J. R. is not just a man of words, I received a small package today with the parts, as he said he would.

Man I like dealing with small, American companies!!!!!

Thanks J. R.!!!!!:star::star::star:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I agree, JR Beal is the real deal!. Wouldn't it be nice if all the companies we did business with were like this... and they CAN be, JR proves it!

The only negative thought that comes to mind in regards to the wizard is that whoever he had field testing the Beta versions of this did an absolutely lousy job in giving him feedback! The things we have found and commented on the past few weeks should have been caught a long time ago, not by us. I noticed the adjustment screw working loose the first 30 minutes of use and I wasn't even trying to find things wrong.

JR, if you're reading this, make some of us your Beta testers on your next projects and we'll give you some good feedback! :biggrin:

sbell111

The only negative thought that comes to mind in regards to the wizard is that whoever he had field testing the Beta versions of this did an absolutely lousy job in giving him feedback! The things we have found and commented on the past few weeks should have been caught a long time ago, not by us. I noticed the adjustment screw working loose the first 30 minutes of use and I wasn't even trying to find things wrong.
I suspect that the beta tester was not exactly the same as the production model. Perhaps when the machine went to production, the screws that were used had slightly different tolerances than the beta's did.

Also, it's important to realize that the beta tester may not have attempted the same type of work as has been tried since. I have no doubt that they didn't attempt a rope twist, so they wouldn't have realized that they needed a different mounting plate. Also, they may not have experienced the problem of the bit 'riding up', so they wouldn't know to fix it.

THis is why my mantra is 'all plans break'. We do our best to come up with the best plan to meet our needs, but we remember that we have to move fast to deal with any issues that could not be foreseen. JR is succeeding at this.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm CRUSHED!!!

Rudy was not impressed with my work!!!​

Frankly, I thought it was "cool" but not "Impressive". Took to show last weekend - not even a nibble - although I did NOT highlight it. Next show it will get better placement (more product will be displayed, more table space).

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Would you mind showing them? I like to see them.
Rudy, looking at the pictures online and seeing the pens up close are two different things. I am extending an invitation to you to come and play with my PW anytime you would like. Please contact me if you want to set up a date and time. I believe I am about 90 minutes from you.

M

Mudder

I suspect that the beta tester was not exactly the same as the production model. Perhaps when the machine went to production, the screws that were used had slightly different tolerances than the beta's did.

Also, it's important to realize that the beta tester may not have attempted the same type of work as has been tried since. I have no doubt that they didn't attempt a rope twist, so they wouldn't have realized that they needed a different mounting plate. Also, they may not have experienced the problem of the bit 'riding up', so they wouldn't know to fix it.

THis is why my mantra is 'all plans break'. We do our best to come up with the best plan to meet our needs, but we remember that we have to move fast to deal with any issues that could not be foreseen. JR is succeeding at this.

My thought was to take one of those brass knurled knobs that come with some pen mandrels and see if I could use that. I know I have some spare that I bought from woodcraft for a buck so if it's the same threads I think it would work quite well and the extra weight might just help a little with the riding up problem. It won't hurt anyway.

Rudy Vey

I'm CRUSHED!!!

Rudy was not impressed with my work!!!​

Frankly, I thought it was "cool" but not "Impressive". Took to show last weekend - not even a nibble - although I did NOT highlight it. Next show it will get better placement (more product will be displayed, more table space).
:peace:poor thing, feel bad now, hope I can sleep:tongue::biggrin: - but, where can I find your Beall PW pens, I mean point me to them, and I will spend some time to look at them.

Rudy Vey

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=758409&postcount=33

For your convenience, Rudy!!!

These ARE the ones I showed last weekend - not a nibble!

Ed, these are nice, actually! What are they made from and what did you use for the fill??
What I have seen so far was just wavy lines and patterns cut into BEB (I guess) and the pens were very thick on the nib and clip end. I think if you make some line, waves, twists or else, the wood should be not distracting. I have seen some great twist work from Anthony he did them on his Legacy. Unfortunately, I don't have space to get any other tool in my shop and I also lack the time to play with new toys (although I would like to...).
Back to your pens, nobody liked them or bought one? How did you price them?? We had a two day show last weekend and Saturday was very good, but Sunday stank.

Top Bottom