How are the PW pen selling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GPDMTR25

The Pen Wizard looks great and fun but has anyone noticed if it helped their sales?

I've asked a few of my customers about the different styles the PW can cut but the general answer I received was they liked it but they wouldn't buy one because they wanted a regular upscale pen.

I was wondering how the pens where selling compared to the non PW pens?

I've been reading post regarding the PW and it appears it hasn't been out that long so have many of you sold any of the pens or are you waiting for X-mas to see how sales will be?

Thanks for any insight
Angela

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Hewson

OK, I'll jump in.

I have made a number of PW pens and have yet to sell one. Mind you, I have not put too much selling effort into it yet, my emphasis will be at Christmas shows.

I have however shown pens and have a couple of retail outlets, but nobody seems to be buying where I am at this time.

I put a query out too, to see what others felt was a good premium for the added PW work/inlays etc. Little response. I suppose a minimum 10% premium would be appropriate although if you do filled inlay work there is a lot more time involved, but they do look great. One might consider the enhancement as a further inducement to buy your skilled work.

I think you should limit the inlay work to relatively plain woods, no sense gilding a Lily.
The inlays get lost on highly figured wood or vice versa.

Bob

wood-of-1kind

Classic look

First of all let it be known that I DO NOT own a PW. Can you command a price premium if you decorate your pen with a PW? My thought is that a 'high end" pen will not get you more $$$ with a more ornate design. Anyone that I've ever sold to a high dollar pens (the highest that I sold was $350.00) was attracted by on the looks of the pen with understated elegance and great fit and good choice of hardware. There is a sense that in order for a pen to be taken seriously (and get $$$$) that it has to mimic a 'classic' design. A rope pen or a pen with coloured inlay is not your typical classic. JMO and of course YMMV.

CabinetMaker

This thread was started last summer. Now that the holidays are over, I am wondering if anybody has any new experience with PW pens to offer.

leestoresund

Still playing with my PW but had one in my supply. A walnut Sierra with wavy lines. Client bought two Sierras and one was the PW. Got $100 for both.
I still have more throw aways than keepers with the PW.
Lee

Bob Hewson

I have sold several with PW inlays in epoxy glitter. One sold when a friend saw my Wife's pen and said I want one just like it.

So far have sold about 15, no premium though, but perhaps added to appeal and resulted in more overall sales. Also a few toothpick holders and perfume pens with PW treatment.

It gets easier to do each time and my inlays are less messy with fewer holes to refill and return.

Bob

Top Bottom