Dremel drag.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

I still haven't been able to play with the wizard as much as I would like yet, but I have run into a small problem. My Dremel (sorry, don't remember model right now, it has an external battery.) seems to "drag" a little, as if the spinning collet is bending a little with the force. Is this a normal problem, or could it be the Dremel I'm using? This isn't so much of a problem for a basic spiral or sinusoid, but when the cuts overlap, it will straighten out and bend again once it starts cutting. Anyone else have this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

I still haven't been able to play with the wizard as much as I would like yet, but I have run into a small problem. My Dremel (sorry, don't remember model right now, it has an external battery.) seems to "drag" a little, as if the spinning collet is bending a little with the force. Is this a normal problem, or could it be the Dremel I'm using? This isn't so much of a problem for a basic spiral or sinusoid, but when the cuts overlap, it will straighten out and bend again once it starts cutting. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi Joe, how far out from the collet is the end of the cutter, it might be flexing a bit, how much use has the Dremel done is the shaft flexing in the bearing??
Kryn

Joe S.

I'm pretty sure it's the shaft moving. I got it lightly used. I don't think it really matters, but I snapped a pic of the label. Would getting a new one fix this?

Joe S.

Pics:

Attachments

• image-4135436974.jpg
    image-4135436974.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 352
  • image-2402294208.jpg
    image-2402294208.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 331

KBs Pensnmore

If the shaft is moving slightly at the chuck, measure the amount of movement at the end of the cutter and collet. You will probably find that the difference is the amount that you are having trouble with.:mad:
Can you borrow a Dremel to try?
Kryn

Joe S.

I'll have to see if the cheap one from Home Depot will fit in the PW... It's $30 and plugs into an outlet which would make it a lot lighter. Maybe I can get them to let me try it out there. :biggrin:
Thanks for your help!

KenV

That is also what happens when the cutter could be sharper or you are taking more cut than it can handle. Increased lateral forces produce those kinds of actions/reactions.

Joe S.

I've got the right size cutters (found out after getting one too small) but the sharpness factor might have a lot to do with it. I'm using that cone cutter in the picture and it might wear down faster than a little ball cutter would.

Hexhead

I'm assuming you're cutting wood, what kind of what are you cutting some woods is pretty dense. I'm personally leaning more towards the dull bit message. Also battery-powered trembles are not really known for their torque. Turning speed comes into play too, too low rpm's can cause drag. I have a Dremel 4000 which works great, but I usually have my Fordom flex shaft hooked up to it.

Top Bottom