Beal Pen Wizard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Slyotter

Ok, I cannot find a lathe to use down here in Peru. SO I have a question about the Beal Pen Wizard. How do you finish your pens after completing the work on the wizard? Some of the pens I have seen have pretty intricate patterns, which to my eye would not work with friction polishes (also would mean I need a lathe.... refer to my first sentence.)

I am really jonesing (no offense to any Jones' in the house) to put tools to wood, even if it is with a dremel and wizard (that is if I can talk the wife into letting me buy one and use it in an apartment............)

Any suggestions, comments, how to use the wizard are greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Jerry ... Have you not 'Googled' the Pen Wizard and watched all you can watch about this little gem> I believe that you should try that route and then ask some direct questions as to the device's operation.

BTW, since I don't yet have mine in hand I cannot tell you it's exact operation, but I do not believe it was/is designed to turn a pen blank from 'scratch.' I do know that if one is ingenious enough to toy around a good bit that it is entirely possible to turn down a blank.

You do understand that it uses either the high speed Dremel or Foredom tool and very small detail bits ... right! The tool is more for embellishing a blank that has already been cut down to size and shape.

Good luck with the wife!

Slyotter

Jerry ... Have you not 'Googled' the Pen Wizard and watched all you can watch about this little gem> I believe that you should try that route and then ask some direct questions as to the device's operation.

BTW, since I don't yet have mine in hand I cannot tell you it's exact operation, but I do not believe it was/is designed to turn a pen blank from 'scratch.' I do know that if one is ingenious enough to toy around a good bit that it is entirely possible to turn down a blank.

You do understand that it uses either the high speed Dremel or Foredom tool and very small detail bits ... right! The tool is more for embellishing a blank that has already been cut down to size and shape.

Good luck with the wife!

Thanks for wishing luck with the wife part I will need it. As for the use of the Dremel or other type of tool. yeah I know, but if I cannot get a tool that will spin the blank fast, I will have to go with a tool that spins fast on the blank.
I know this will be more for embellishing, hence why I was asking how to actaully put a finish on the completed pen.
As for doing a pen from a blank, I don't think that will be hard. I watched several of the videos on the Beal page, and as he demonstrated making a hex sided pen rather easy (or so it looked, wonder how many blanks I will destroy until I see how easy it really is??). I figure by use of the "dies" I can possibly get the blank round enough to finish the shape with the embellishing dies. I will go look up some of the utube and anything else I can find on the wizard as you suggested. Thanks. Hope you have a great time with yours when it arrives. Hope to see pictures soon.

Jerry

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I wish I could remember who it was, but a member here also didn't have a lathe so he had his drill press on it's side for turning !!! There was nothing wrong with his pens either. He once posted a pic of his setup so maybe someone can remember about it.

'Where there is a will, there is a way':wink::biggrin:

DotDoc

Jerry...there is a lathe system for a drill press (table top would work)...I started out using one and it does take some practice but you can turn down the blank from scratch. I will pm you with the web site after I find it.

Slyotter

Table set up

ok, good suggestion of useing a drill press on its side. Now just to figure out how to get my wife to let me use the table....

Actually your ideas have merit. Just might have to find a sturdy folding (small table) that I could use. Our apartment is rather small and the balcony is full with the A/C units and my wife's plants....(won't go there, as it keeps her happy)

Jerry

P.S. If I can figure this out I will post a pic of working while watching the surfers down below!

Slyotter

YOU are SOOO da MAN!

Grizzly no longer advertises the set up for the drill press, but they do have this.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hobby-Lathe/H2669

A mandrel rod should fit right into the chuck, but you'd have to come up with something different if you wanted to turn between centers (need a dead center to fit in the chuck).

OK, looks like I will be placing an order for that!.... and some finish.... glue....dyes.............sharpening stones (looks like I get to lear to sharpen by hand!)......damn this is going to get expensive (Again! OH oops it never stopped only delayed)

Jerry

PenMan1

Grizzly also has a lathe that attaches to a drill. it is about $50 and lightweight. It "ain't much" lathe, but far better than what you have or trying to make pens with a PW. You'll have to have some type of drill to make pens anyway.

Top Bottom