Anyone have experience with larger ornamental lathes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

I know a guy who has a legacy mill and a rose engine lathe. I'm REALLY intrigued about the rose engine, especially for bottle stoppers and small bowls and whatnot. I like the pen wizard concept, but I am interested in doing a little more than just pens. Does anyone have any experience with larger ornamental turning?:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

He beat me to it! I was going to say I don't, but Ed Davidson sure does. He did a demo at our woodturners club, and it was really cool. I've said it before, it's one thing to buy and have these cool tools, it's another to really be a master of them. Ed's a Master of them.

Dale

GouletPens

Brian,

I've had a Lindow-White rose engine in my shop for about a year now...highly recommended. Feel free to get in touch if you want more info. You should have a look around this site as well...all things ornamental.
Ed,

I was combing the net this morning looking for OT info and I stumbled across your posting on the AAW forum about the Lindow-White, I watched all the videos and cruised through the OTI site. I don't know why, but it seems that everything that I find really interesting and intriguing about mandrel turning eventually brings me back to you. It just seems like you're paving the way for so many new techniques in mandrel turning. I'm definitely interested in finding out more about rose engines as I am just simply fascinated by the whole concept (maybe it's all those erector sets, Lego Technic and K'Nex I played with as a kid). I've structured my business so that most of my sales will be "production" turnings, more or less, and I'm looking for a creative outlet that I can really use to distinguish the high-end work I'm looking to do. I'll pick apart the whole OTI site and if you have any more information regarding OT, my eyes are wide open.:eek:

barrels

Brian,

Good to see you are interested in Ornamental turning, it is an exceptional challenge with superlative results next to none. Be prepared though as it costs money and lots of effort. Be prepared it is not like buying a Jet mini lathe. The Lindow White is a good Machine with a good price for ornamental machines especially compared to others if you can find them. The good news is that the results are superlative, second to none, there are only about 350 people in the world who are considered ornamental turners. I turn all my pens ornamentallly anymore and they are much different than most. I know David Lindow invited you to my shop this weekend as we are having a ornamental turning seminar. Contact me if you are interested in coming and I will assist you with lodging and directions.

KenV

Brian -- this is a "Danger Will Robinson" slippery slope that will eat time and money. You can creep into this combination of wood and machinist work or you and throw all restraint aside and buy your way into the gear. The creep approach is to look at the MDF rose engine that you can build yourself. AAW published some articles that are on the ornamental turners site -- that is a separate chapter in AAW by the way. Next step might be to look at the gear that Nova sells which adapts a standard lathe to rose engine turning.

The Lindow White and a couple of others add another dimension and more opportunity. I acknowldge being on the edge of the slope limited more by space and money -- well mostly space because I can usually rearrange priorities to support passions with money.

Ed Davidson Bonnie Klein and others are recreating interest in this pretty neat old technology in a modern context.

Tony Pridmore

Brian,

Here's another website in case you haven't seen it: http://www.ornamentalroseengine.com/. It's put together by Fred Connell, a member of the turning club I belong to. Very helpful guy. Don't hesitate to drop him an email.

At the end of the month, another club member, Roland Hege, will be demonstrating a Rose Engine at the North Carolina Woodturning Symposium in Greensboro, NC. I suspect he will be using a portable Rose Engine he and Fred built.

Tony

GouletPens

Seems like everything around here is a slippery slope! Well I'm young so I have time on my side, but money is definitely not on my side. I'd love to learn more about OT and rose engines and it's my dream one day to get more into it. For now, the pen wizard will just be a teaser for me, though I am finding I can do some pretty cool stuff with it!

Top Bottom