International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Greater Houston
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

View Poll Results: Would you attend a Houston Area meeting in September in Alvin, TX?
Yes 18 56.25%
No 5 15.63%
Maybe 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I will need to check my BBQ schedule first, I would like to meet you guys.
Dustaway is offline   Top
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parson View Post
I sure wish someone would recommend an in-town Houston location instead of Manville, Alvin, and the like. I'm afraid I just can't afford the time and fuel costs right now to drive so far out of town. I can only imagine the members who live in Conroe and Spring (of which there are many) feel this way even more.

Now I do understand that the goal is to meet at someone's shop so demos can be enjoyed, but finding a place near the 610 loop or even inside the beltway would be one way to get a lot more people to the meetings.

I agree.
renowb is offline   Top
Old 08-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjimenez View Post
Well Sorry that you will not be able to make but we have these meetings all over Houston and not just in the south, we just had a meeting in Cypress, TX the time before last.
So true. Cypress isn't Houston either.

I live in the Heights very near downtown and would be happy to host a meeting, although my "shop" is a bench in my garage and there's no AC. Whomever organizes these should just make a mental note to PM me when the weather cools off and we can have it here at my place and I'm betting a lot more people or different people will show up.

Now please don't read anything into my comment that wasn't intended—I'm really grateful that individual members are opening up their homes and shops to the area association members! I just wanted to say that my centrally located place is available anytime in the future, and if we work at it a little, we can probably find more centrally-located member's homes in which to meet.

While shop visits are fun, I see no reason that we can't meet at a restaurant some time as well, just to meet one another and show one another our pens.
Parson is offline   Top
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Group Buy Coordinator

Photos: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjimenez View Post
Well Sorry that you will not be able to make but we have these meetings all over Houston and not just in the south, we just had a meeting in Cypress, TX the time before last.
So true. Cypress isn't Houston either.

I live in the Heights very near downtown and would be happy to host a meeting, although my "shop" is a bench in my garage and there's no AC. Whomever organizes these should just make a mental note to PM me when the weather cools off and we can have it here at my place and I'm betting a lot more people or different people will show up.

Now please don't read anything into my comment that wasn't intended—I'm really grateful that individual members are opening up their homes and shops to the area association members! I just wanted to say that my centrally located place is available anytime in the future, and if we work at it a little, we can probably find more centrally-located member's homes in which to meet.

While shop visits are fun, I see no reason that we can't meet at a restaurant some time as well, just to meet one another and show one another our pens.
This is the GREATER HOUSTON AREA and thus encompasses all the way from Conroe to Galveston and Baytown to Katy and anyone else that would like to attend.
Anyone that would like to host a meeting or make arrangements at a public place (restaurant, Rockler, Wood Craft, lumber mill etc) is more than welcome to do so. It was the general consensus when we started these meeting that we meet every 3-4 months. This upcoming meeting was to have been at Rockler, but due to unforeseen circumstances it had to be canceled and Ramon volunteered to host it.
If anyone would like to make the arrangements for the next meeting, please contact me or Lee, KiltedGunn.

Last edited by Monty; 08-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Monty is offline   Top
Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I will be there. As for demo. I would like to see how to cast with other objects, clear cast items such as snakeskin on tube, or colorfill laser engravings on wood or acrylics. Even a great explanation will help. I have proven that trial and error do not always work........probably just need more. See you there
BarryM is offline   Top
Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

I know it has been mentioned before but I have not seen one yet, UI would like to see someone do a demo on photography. Maybe someone can get Jonathon (brooks803) to come to our meeting and show how he does such a great job at taking pictures.
HeartofaPen is offline   Top
Old 08-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaPen View Post
I know it has been mentioned before but I have not seen one yet, UI would like to see someone do a demo on photography. Maybe someone can get Jonathon (brooks803) to come to our meeting and show how he does such a great job at taking pictures.
Well Jonathon is too far away but maybe somebody can try to talk to Doc (wizard) into coming to the meeting. He is here locally. He takes some very nice pictures.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I haven't made a pen since I moved as I don't have a shop set up as yet. I would like to come especially since I live in Alvin now. I can bring a lot of pen blanks and wood to sell (really cheap). It's going to be awhile before I get set up to turn pens again.

\"I\'ll be right there! Just one more pen to make!
C. Scott is offline   Top
Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default Laser engraving color fill demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
I will be there. As for demo. I would like to see how to cast with other objects, clear cast items such as snakeskin on tube, or colorfill laser engravings on wood or acrylics. Even a great explanation will help. I have proven that trial and error do not always work........probably just need more. See you there
I will be recovering from surgery for Sept 10 meeting. I can definitely demo this for the next meeting. We do laser engraving at The Pearland Mailbox Store. We will also give IAP Members special pricing.

Store phone number: 281-412-6245
Old 08-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #30 (permalink)

Ok, it looks like we will have it at my House. I will PM my address to all the people that replied on the poll.

So far I have the following people as a yes or maybe:
Yes
BRENDA WITTE
fireangels
HeartofaPen
itzapen
JeffT
KiltedGunn
Monty
mson
sam
stealth555