Houston area meeting - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Greater Houston
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I am planning on being there. A blank swap would be fun.
Davidh14 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Default Meeting on the 30th

I am planning to attend. I look forward to meeting y'all.

Danny
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #23 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

Default Exciting news: flyitfast and the WTC are coming

I got word from Gordon (flyitfast) in San Antonio last night. He and his wife will be joining us for the Houston chapter meeting on April 30 and they will bring the World Trade Center pen set along to display at the meeting.

Gordon & his wife will head down to Galveston after the meeting to visit their granddaughter who is attending A&M-Galveston.

Thanks Gordon! We are really looking forward to meeting you & your wife and this opportunity to see Steven's masterpiece.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Default Attendee list

So far we have the following who are planning to attend our meeting on April 30:

Davidh14
HeartofaPen
JeffT
Pete275
More4Dan
Sub Vet 10
Monty
Edohmann
flyitfast & wife

Please post in this thread if you are planning to come but are not already on the list. I'd like to give the folks a tentative count tomorrow so they will know about how many of us to plan for. No problem though if you won't know until the last minute - we just need a general idea for planning purposes.

Just a reminder - the meeting will be from 10am to 2pm. Ending time is soft - you're welcome to stay longer & visit or shop.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Default Meeting Activities

Here's what I have planned so far - additional suggestions are welcome:

1. Bring something to show off - pens, bowls, anything.

Gordon is bringing the WTC pen set which will no doubt be the highlight of the display. Monty is bringing some of his cheese slicers. I'll bring the Magnum Sierra bottle pen that I made for the Difficult Pen contest.

2. Pen Swap

We will have a true PITH at the meeting. If you'd like to participate, just bring a pen and we'll drop them in a hat (or box) and each participant gets to draw one out.

3. Blank Swap

If you'd like to participate, just bring 1 to 4 nice pen blanks along. We'll drop them all in a box and take turns drawing them out one at a time. You get one turn for each blank you put in.

4. FOOD!

I'll bring donuts to kick off the meeting and we can get a sandwich tray from Subway for lunch. Cost will probably be about $5-$7 per person for lunch. The Subway is only a block from the Woodcraft store - I'll stop by there to make arrangements & get more specifics.

Bring your own water or soft drinks. Woodcraft usually has coffee brewing - I'll confirm that for our meeting.

5. Welcome Gift

I recently bought a box of blanks from the personal stash of Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman). I will bring some of these blanks along and everyone who attends will receive one as a little welcome gift for attending the meeting.

If anyone else wants to bring a little something to share, please feel free to do so.

6. Turning & Demos

I don't have any firm plans for this yet, but we should be meeting in the classroom, so we will have access to several lathes and all the other tools & supplies. If we get bumped from the classroom for some reason, we will meet in the wood room & can still have 1 or 2 lathes for our use.

Monty will show & describe the cheese slicers for those interested in making these.

They don't have a metal lathe, but More4Dan uses one and has offered to answer any questions that anyone might have about metal lathes.

If anyone does kitless pens or segmenting, please bring along some samples and do a little show & tell for us.

If you have any other requests for demos, please let us know or we will just wing it.

7. Fun & Fellowship

This is the best part -- just getting to meet each other and talk about pens & turning and solving all the world problems is what I enjoy most.

Once again:
Saturday, April 30 -- 10 am to 2 pm at
SW Houston Woodcraft
11707 S. Sam Houston Parkway W.
Houston, TX 77031
Phone:(281) 988-9449

Here's a view of their location. It's on the west side of Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Parkway), first exit south of Hwy 59 (Airport Dr. exit). When you take the Airport Dr. exit, get to the far right lane of the feeder road as quickly as possible, but be sure to watch the feeder road traffic carefully. Their yellow box truck will be in front of the store if it's not out on deliveries, so that's a good marker. Let me know if you need specific directions from a different direction.

See 'ya there

Edgar
Attached Thumbnails
woodcraft.jpg  

Last edited by Edgar; 04-21-2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Damnit! Don't want to miss it sounds like out will be the coolest meeting yet! Even though i can't be there thank you ed and Monty for putting in such an effort!
Old 04-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality Pen View Post
Damnit! Don't want to miss it sounds like out will be the coolest meeting yet! Even though i can't be there thank you ed and Monty for putting in such an effort!
Sorry you won't be able to make it, Bobby. We'd sure like to have you - I really enjoyed meeting & visiting with you at our last gathering.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

Not sure if I will be able to attend this meeting anymore. Went on a vacation(cruise) last week and had stomach pains. Went to a hospital in Cozumel on Friday and found out they would have to remove my gallbladder. Not sure how I will be doing Saturday, but I'm making improvements everyday.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Oh my goodness, David. Sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad to hear you're doing better. We hope you'll be able to make it, but your health needs to come first, so take care of yourself & don't rush your recuperation.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:25 AM   #30 (permalink)

Thanks Ed! Health is number 1 but you can bet I've been itching to get back in the shop. Haha. I will definitely see how I am feeling.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads