Houston area meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I'm fine with rescheduling, it will allow me to help out some folks in the area recovering from flooded homes. Got a call today from my church looking for volunteers this Saturday.

HeartofaPen

I agree with Monty, rescheduling might be the best for now.

by the way, anyone hear from harry? I know he lives in the Cypress area and was wondering if he has any damage last week.

Chris

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sorry about the delay in getting something set up, but my weekend schedules have been rather fluid lately and I haven't been able to pin down my Sat availability more than a week in advance.

It looks like I will be available for a meeting on Aug 20 or 27 though. I'm trying to get in touch with the Woodcraft scheduler to see if one of those dates will work for them. He's been out the last few days, but I'm hoping to speak to him tomorrow. I'll post an update as soon as I can speak to him.

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Houston Chapter Meeting on Aug 27

OK folks, we are set for a Houston Chapter meeting at the Southwest Houston Woodcraft on Aug 27 from 10am - 2pm.

Post in this thread if you are planning to attend so we can plan on refreshments, lunch and enough chairs & lathes. Also post any demos that you would like to see or that you would like to show.

Bring some of your turnings to show off - doesn't just have to be pens. Bowls, stoppers, cheese slicers, whatever are all welcome.

Bring a pen to swap and 1-4 nice blanks to swap if you want to participate in a pen & blank swap. We will get lunch from the nearby Subway - probably about $5 - $7 per person.

I will bring donuts & Woodcraft will supply coffee. Bring your own water or soft drinks.

If you want to turn something or get some help with turning techniques, bring whatever you want in a ready-to-turn state. For instance, if you want to turn a pen, bring the blank already drilled & tubed. If you just want finishing help, bring the blank fully turned & ready to finish.

If you have anything that you would like to trade, sell or give away, bring that too. Everyone who attends will get a Lou Metcalf pen blank.

Post any other suggestions that you might have to make this a fun & informative day.

More4dan

OK folks, we are set for a Houston Chapter meeting at the Southwest Houston Woodcraft on Aug 27 from 10am - 2pm.

Post in this thread if you are planning to attend so we can plan on refreshments, lunch and enough chairs & lathes. Also post any demos that you would like to see or that you would like to show.

Bring some of your turnings to show off - doesn't just have to be pens. Bowls, stoppers, cheese slicers, whatever are all welcome.

Bring a pen to swap and 1-4 nice blanks to swap if you want to participate in a pen & blank swap. We will get lunch from the nearby Subway - probably about $5 - $7 per person.

I will bring donuts & Woodcraft will supply coffee. Bring your own water or soft drinks.

If you want to turn something or get some help with turning techniques, bring whatever you want in a ready-to-turn state. For instance, if you want to turn a pen, bring the blank already drilled & tubed. If you just want finishing help, bring the blank fully turned & ready to finish.

If you have anything that you would like to trade, sell or give away, bring that too. Everyone who attends will get a Lou Metcalf pen blank.

Post any other suggestions that you might have to make this a fun & informative day.

I plan to attend. I look forward to meeting folks in the Houston Area.

Danny

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Damn i won't be able to make it!!! Thanks for putting it together though i am sure it will be awesome.

Dagnabbit, Bobby. I was hoping you'd be able to make it. We'll try to schedule another one before too long & maybe you can join us then.

EN Pens

Edie and I will both be there. I can show and do a quick demo on bandsaw boxes if you like Also how to use the scrap to make matching pens.
See you there. Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'd like to attend but I will be at SWAT on that date.
Hate to miss the opportunity to meet with you all.
Gordon

Thanks Gordon. I didn't realize that SWAT was the same weekend, but we'll try to hold another meeting before the end of the year & hope that one will work out for you.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edie and I will both be there. I can show and do a quick demo on bandsaw boxes if you like Also how to use the scrap to make matching pens.
See you there. Ed

That would be great, Ed. I've made a couple of small boxes after watching some videos, but I would definitely like to see a first-hand demo. I'll ask WC if they can put a bandsaw in our meeting room.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
How about some finishing demos? I'll be glad to demo my "quick & easy" CA method. Anyone else want to demo a finishing technique? Any type of finish would be fine.

If you would like to demo a favorite finishing technique, bring blanks that are ready to finish & whatever supplies you need.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Woodcraft will advertise our meeting to their email list & will also put a note on the door, so we may get a few drop-in participants. We'll play that by ear - if we get some visitors like that, we should be ready to demo some basic turning & finishing techniques for them.

flyitfast

I'd like to attend but I will be at SWAT on that date.
Hate to miss the opportunity to meet with you all.
Gordon

Thanks Gordon. I didn't realize that SWAT was the same weekend, but we'll try to hold another meeting before the end of the year & hope that one will work out for you.

Thanks Edgar. Looking forward to a visit later.
Gordon

Quality Pen

We had some crazy life stuff happen... had to cancel a flight and fortunately got a ful voucher! Suprising! Never had to do that before.

Is the meeting Aug 27?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just a reminder about the meeting this Saturday, Aug 27. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it as my daughter informed me this morning that my grandsons birthday party will be at 11AM.
Please make a confirmation post if you are planning on attending so Ed has some idea of how many will be there.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Houston Area Meeting This Saturday

At the present time, I think that the following people are planning to attend our meeting this Sat:

Edgar -- Simple CA Finish demo
More4dan
Davidh14
Quality Pen ??
EN Pens (2) -- Bandsaw Box demo
jhall
Sub Vet 10

Please confirm if you are still planning to attend so I can let WC know about how many to plan for. If I missed anyone, please speak up.

There's room for more, so if you live in (or will be in) the Houston area, we'd like to have you join us.

We could also use more demos, so if there is anything you would like to see or show, please let me know. I would personally like to see some other finishing techniques, skew techniques & segmenting demos.

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Houston Area Meeting This Saturday!

I have confirmed our meeting with Woodcarft. We are all set to meet at the Southwest Houston Woodcraft this Sat, Aug 27 from 10am - 2pm. Let me know if you need directions.

See you there
Edgar

Davidh14

Well...I suppose I could bring my bolt action pen that I need disassembled. I can not disassemble it for the life of me. When I try to knock the back end off, I end up knocking the clip/bullet rim coupler out. And when trying to knock the bullet end out, I end up removing that coupler as well.

Top Bottom