Snake Skin Blanks... - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Product Testing & Review > Vendors
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Snake Skin Blanks...

img_2164.jpg

img_2172.jpg

img_2173.jpg

img_2174.jpgI have been asked to give a review of the snake skin blanks. I hesitated to make the first post but have been encouraged to tell all publicly. The reason for this is not to hurt the vendors that make quality blanks, just those that are substandard.
I purchased these blanks from Gary Max. I ordered them and got them promptly. I was anxious to turn them and jumped right in. I started on the rattlesnake first. The blanks felt kind of sticky at first. I figured they were hot from being in the mailbox, so I let them cool in the basement. I noticed the first problem when I went to square the blanks with a pen mill. The tubes on both of the Rattlesnake blanks pushed through the other side. I will post the picture of them. I was not pushing hard as I was holding the blank with my hand. When I started the python blank I was very careful as well with good results, no damage to the blank from the mill and the tube stayed put. I put the python between centers and turned it down. I was very proud of the desired size when the skin started to come through the outside of the blank. I stopped turning at this point and left the man cave. Not in a good mood I slept on it and contacted Gary the next day.
After a couple of pm's back and forth Gary Informed me that he would not give me a refund, only replacements. It was several weeks before I got his address, I was on vacation and had some work issues. I returned the blanks AT MY COST. He promptly sent me the blanks back. The new rattlesnake blanks looked like the old ones with more clear added to them to cover the tubes. That is my best guess. The python skin blank was not any better.
Just to wrap this up I will not be doing any further buying from this vendor and could not recommend him to anyone else.
Once again I did not get any refund I paid shipping both times and have nothing but a three Sierra kits with no tubes to show for it.
The first picture is of the first rattlesnake skins that I received. All the rest are pictures of the "replacement blanks".
I am sure that I will get flack from this but if it saves some of YOU a few dollars I am fine with that.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 31

Good---Thank you for posting this here.

1)----Show me where you bought this from me on this site. Remember buying a item other than here is a different animal.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Second----when did you buy these and how long did you wait to contact me??
Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thrid----how many weeks later did you return the blanks and was there ever any delay on my part replacing you order.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

4th-----Did any of the blanks blow up?????
Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 235

I'm not defending this vendor just making a couple of observations on the stated problems .
One , Polyester resin blanks have a sticky surface to them as part of the design of the resin . This allows any further pours of resin to stick to the surface better then fully cured resin . This sticky surface can be avoided by either post curing the blanks for an hour or more in a low temperature oven at the expense of creating a more brittle blank , or adding a surfacing agent (styrene/wax mixture) . The sticky surface has no negative effect on the blanks other then being sticky .
Two , Tubes pushing out . The cast object (snake skin) has to be stuck to the tube by some method . This means it must be glued to the tube by some method . most glues are softened by heat and in casting there is heat created by the curing of the resin and post curing (if done) . This heat can break the glue bond to the tube causing the tube to break loose . While annoying this can be easily repaired by simply putting a couple of drops of thin CA on the ends of the blank and allowing it to soak in . Also using a barrel trimmer can cause enough heat by friction to break the glue bond to the tube causing the same problem . I always advise using a sanding of the ends rather then barrel trimmers on any cast embedding blanks to avoid the heat problems .
Again I'm not defending the vendor but lets complain about things that he has some control over .
Any fool can know , the point is to understand (Albert Einstein)
There are no mistakes....Only happy accidents (Bob Ross)
ldb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

5th----Here are the blanks that you returned to me----the two Rattle Snakes where never even mounted on a lathe---instead you screwed them up trying to square the ends and you removed to much material---now the blanks are to short

Second---the Python----you turned it and hit the skin----one drop of CA and it would of been fixed.

But I said nothing and replaced your whole order
Attached Thumbnails
dscn0278.jpg   dscn0279.jpg  

Last edited by Gary Max; 09-03-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: type-o
Gary Max is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bottom line------you bought three blanks from me and screwed them up ----a month later you contacted me and I offered to replace them Free of Charge-----3 weeks later the screwed up blanks arrived. You have dragged this out over two months.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default What's the difference???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post

1)----Show me where you bought this from me on this site. Remember buying a item other than here is a different animal.
Not to take sides in this discussion but I do have one question Gary. We frequently review items not bought on this site so I'm wondering why buying elsewhere would be an issue. Thanks for your reply
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post

Not that it matters, but...

http://www.penturners.org/forum/show...73&postcount=5
Logged on members can hide ads