Arizona Silhouette - bad service - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Product Testing & Review > Vendors
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Arizona Silhouette - bad service

Since I'm new to the turning side of things, I've been trying out different vendors trying to find the best price/quality/service. I know, I know...I can only have 2 of the 3! but I still try. I have had Arizona Silhouette recommended by several people so I ordered a few kits and stuff from them right before Christmas. They came in sometime around the 18th-20th but being the holidays, I was busy visiting with family and out of town for a couple of weeks. When I got back I had the itch, so I went out to make my very first cigar. I pulled out the kit and started laying it out and reading the directions...I noticed that the nib was missing. I check the other cigar kit to make sure it didn't get put in that package by mistake but nope, it was just missing.

So I emailed (try to call first with no answer) Arizona Silhouette. I let them know about the situation. This was a few days ago. I got an email back from them today saying that they only have a 5 day "inspection" period and that it was clearly stated on a piece of paper stapled to the receipt so I'm out of luck. WTF??? for something they could probably replace for less than $1 they are going to loose me as a customer all together. That's BS. I won't deal with a company like that. This email was from Bill Baumbeck, which I assume is the owner...but I'm not sure.

Having owned my own business for the last 4 years, I've had to deal with similar situations but our business policies are all in place as a guideline and consider all the circumstances before having to tell a customer I can't help them.

Okay, sorry about the rant, but I can't stand bad customer service...

Mike Moffitt
Old 01-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

As a regular buyer from AS, I am very surprised they didn't take care of you - they've been marvelous to me.

I didn't know about the 5 day inspection rule, though. I usually don't bother looking at the kits when I get them since I keep stock on hand and only order when I start to get low. Guess I'll have to start looking.
Greg O'Sherwood is offline   Top
Old 01-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Vendor Liaison

Bill Baumbeck is indeed the owner. After a long search on his website, I found his return policy here:
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Fre..._return_policy

It states the five day period for undamaged merchandise, but not for defective merchandise. Since he already told you you're SOL, however, you're not likely to win with that argument.

He is often mentioned on the fora, and some love him, and others hate him. I can't tell you my experience with him, because I have none. He does not ship to anyone outside the US, so I have to take others words for it.

There are a lot of vendors, however, that support the IAP, and give excellent customer service. Why don't you try one of them next time if you're unhappy with the ones you've been using? Many of them have all three of the attributes you're looking for - but customer service and quality products are definitely two of the 'must haves' in my book.

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."

Last edited by maxwell_smart007; 01-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.
maxwell_smart007 is offline   Top
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree Maxwell. And I usually try to use forum members when possible but like I said, I was looking around and trying different vendors...plus I don't know who all makes what here yet (I'm learning though...just placed an order with JohnnyCNC!).

It really just surprised be because I thought it would be a no-brainer...guess not!

Mike
Old 01-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 49

I've had good luck with AS. Maybe a phone call will work better than email, but remember the time zone they are in - speak with Bill directly, and explain your holiday timing again. If that gets you nowhere, maybe call Berea directly, since AS is a reseller. I've had equally good luck with Berea, so even though they didn't directly sell you the kit, they might be able to help.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 26

It also states that there are 5 days for inspection and reporting missing parts.

Under pen kit information: A part was missing from a kit I purchased from you. How do I get the missing part replaced?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 8

I'm sorry, but his policy is on his website and was attached to the receipt in the box. You didn't follow the policy, and your upset because you wanted him to honor something 10 days later than what the policy specified?

I don't see how he is the bad guy in this. On your own website you specify a return period of within 30 days of receipt. If I waited until 40 days to return something would you still do it?

I have never dealt with Bill, but a policy is a policy. Why should you expect him to bend over backward when you admit it was you who didn't follow the policy?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Smile Contact your . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceengravers View Post
Since I'm new to the turning side of things, I've been trying out different vendors trying to find the best price/quality/service. I know, I know...I can only have 2 of the 3! but I still try. I have had Arizona Silhouette recommended by several people so I ordered a few kits and stuff from them right before Christmas. They came in sometime around the 18th-20th but being the holidays, I was busy visiting with family and out of town for a couple of weeks. When I got back I had the itch, so I went out to make my very first cigar. I pulled out the kit and started laying it out and reading the directions...I noticed that the nib was missing. I check the other cigar kit to make sure it didn't get put in that package by mistake but nope, it was just missing.

So I emailed (try to call first with no answer) Arizona Silhouette. I let them know about the situation. This was a few days ago. I got an email back from them today saying that they only have a 5 day "inspection" period and that it was clearly stated on a piece of paper stapled to the receipt so I'm out of luck. WTF??? for something they could probably replace for less than $1 they are going to loose me as a customer all together. That's BS. I won't deal with a company like that. This email was from Bill Baumbeck, which I assume is the owner...but I'm not sure.

Having owned my own business for the last 4 years, I've had to deal with similar situations but our business policies are all in place as a guideline and consider all the circumstances before having to tell a customer I can't help them.

Okay, sorry about the rant, but I can't stand bad customer service...

Mike Moffitt
Contact your credit card company . . . contest the charge . . . return the material . .
Old 01-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

It sounds like you want to blame A/S for your mistake! That is one of the troubles with our society today, blame someone else for any thing bad that has happened to us. Why not own up to the truth, it was your mistake not A/S!!!!!
redbulldog is offline   Top
Old 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Product Reviews Manager

Photos: 49

I have dealt with Bill many times and have come to understand him, he is actually a good guy but you have to go by the rules that he has laid out for his business. The phone call will probably not help you but this may, please send me a PM with the type of finish and your address, if I have one I will be happy to send it out to you.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Closed Thread