International Association of Penturners - View Single Post - Visit with Sharon-Arizona Center for the Blind
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
mark james

Photos: 461

Default Visit with Sharon-Arizona Center for the Blind

In preparation to assist in the future with some of the penturning clubs at Centers for the Blind and Visually Impaired, I ventured to be a fly on the wall watching Sharon, get oriented with this manner of instruction, review safety protocol and get some hands-on turning practice blindfolded with a mentor assisting.

Background: I have worked with Folks with Visual challenges many years ago as a Therapist at the Cleveland Society for the Blind, so I did have a headstart.

This is also an update to the thriving woodturning/penturning sessions that Sharon has spearheaded in Phoenix, Arizona. Penturning is alive and well in this town!

Note: Yes, the last picture is of me. And yes, safety protocol/goggles/faceshield was omitted to allow you to see that I was being oriented as a blindfolded turner. This was simply for these pictures. Also, these pictures were after I had instruction with an assistant guiding the position of my hands and gouge. At that time he could not take pictures because, well, his hands were assisting mine!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0793.jpg   img_0794.jpg   img_0795.jpg   img_0796.jpg   img_0797.jpg  

img_0798.jpg   img_0799.jpg   img_0800.jpg   img_0801.jpg   img_0802.jpg  

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.

Last edited by mark james; 07-06-2018 at 05:45 PM.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top