International Association of Penturners - View Single Post - The cat and mouse game of Credit Card fraud
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
JimB

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnarkouper View Post
I was told by my bank, credit union, that when using the debit card use only as a credit card. If you use as a credit card, and it's stolen, you have no liability for any charges made against your card that are not yours. If you use as a debit card and somebody gets your pin #, they can remove every dollar from your checking and maybe savings account also, depending on how it is set up. You will then have to hire a lawyer and go through the legal system to recover your money. The credit card company may or may not help you recover your money.
My credit card numbers have been stolen several time and have never had a problem getting my money back. Usually 24 hours or less. A new credit card arrives a couple weeks later
I think it all boils down to DO NOT USE A DEBIT CARD! Only use at your bank or someplace you are very comfortable with and feel safe.
We do not let our bank issue us a debit/ATM card. It is strictly an ATM card for the exact reasons you mention. Most people donít realize they can get a card that is only an ATM card because banks automatically issue Debit/ATM cards.

As you mention, someone can empty your bank account with a debit card and it can be a long process to get your money back. I know people who had to wait months to get their money back.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top